Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Hall & Hart Homes

Page 58 of 61
This thread has been quiet over the last few months. Any active H&H customers out there? How have you found their responsiveness lately?

I've heard they are really busy and have even had to knock back/delay some sales enquiries due to overwhelming interest.

We are still waiting to hear back as to whether they can do a 1200W hinged front entry door. The issue was first raised two weeks ago and our project manager is still waiting to hear back from the selections team so we can finalise plans for DA lodgement. Overall, our expected DA lodgement has slipped >2 months compared to earlier estimates (from December last year) that we would be able to lodge at the end of February. We've also recently been moved from one H&H project manager to another, due to the earlier project manager transitioning to an estimating role at H&H (I hope they are better at estimating than the estimator we had at the tender stage!).

Just looking for some reassurance that our experience is an anomaly and the rest of the H&H build process will be well-managed and smooth.
From what I've read from other reviews, pre construction is a nightmare of almost a year but once you get to construction its good and well managed and they build a beautiful home. DA approval to construction was a few months though and of course closure periods. Hopefully your lodged soon!
Hi Mia14, thanks for the encouraging words. We finally got an answer on the door and H&H have provided updated plans which we've signed off on. Now just awaiting lodgement, which should occur this week according to our H&H Project Manager. Hopefully we get through council unscathed and on time!
brampton
Hi Mia14, thanks for the encouraging words. We finally got an answer on the door and H&H have provided updated plans which we've signed off on. Now just awaiting lodgement, which should occur this week according to our H&H Project Manager. Hopefully we get through council unscathed and on time!

fingers crossed! my approval for DA was a few months ago but only going to construction now, hoping yours goes smoothly and is more straight forward.
Mia14
From what I've read from other reviews, pre construction is a nightmare of almost a year but once you get to construction its good and well managed and they build a beautiful home. DA approval to construction was a few months though and of course closure periods. Hopefully your lodged soon!

It is a prolonged.. roller coaster pre-building process, H&H helped the lodgement of the DA since last Sep/Oct 2020 due to the conditional DA, we have to submit the revised plan. Process status: revising as requested and waiting for the final DA. When did you lodge your DA? Which council you have submitted to? I am thinking about whether our Council has not been easy to deal with or anything else. Thanks for sharing your update. Good luck to your build.
CYT
Mia14

It is a prolonged.. roller coaster pre-building process, H&H helped the lodgement of the DA since last Sep/Oct 2020 due to the conditional DA, we have to submit the revised plan. Process status: revising as requested and waiting for the final DA. When did you lodge your DA? Which council you have submitted to? I am thinking about whether our Council has not been easy to deal with or anything else. Thanks for sharing your update. Good luck to your build.

We lodged our DA end of the year. It normally is 3 weeks approval but due to closure period it had to be 6 weeks to ensure people got the notification and weren't on holiday. So it has been about 4 months from then to construction but first part has been done in just over a week so pretty good, hopefully it doesn't stall from here. Whole process has been a year so far. Hopefully yours gets sorted soon!
Hi Mia,

Thank you so much for your reply. Wow, your DA approval went very smoothly and fast. Sounds like you are nearly there. Good luck to the final stage of the build.

I don't understand why mine is taking so.... long to process. It is a very long devastating process. Yes, fingers crossed.
NIce weekend,
Sounds like a very very long time to be waiting for DA. If you don't mind me asking, which council are you with CYT?
brampton
Sounds like a very very long time to be waiting for DA. If you don't mind me asking, which council are you with CYT?

It’s has been waiting too .... long , longer than I expected. Due to the conditional DA which requires to revise the house plan impacting heritage trees , I am still waiting since March for get the final approval ! It is devastating during this prolonged built.
ceciyau
brampton

It’s has been waiting too .... long , longer than I expected. Due to the conditional DA which requires to revise the house plan impacting heritage trees , I am still waiting since March for get the final approval ! It is devastating during this prolonged built.

That sounds extremely long. I'd contact council and speak to the town planner that looks after the approvals for them to give you an indication of what is holding them back and what they need to see to approve e.g 5m distance or something. Not sure where they are located but I presume they are afraid they will be compromised or damaged during the build? I had to speak to my town planner to ensure there was no going back and forth and ended up taking matters into my own hands. Hoping you get a decision soon.
Mia14
ceciyau
brampton

That sounds extremely long. I'd contact council and speak to the town planner that looks after the approvals for them to give you an indication of what is holding them back and what they need to see to approve e.g 5m distance or something. Not sure where they are located but I presume they are afraid they will be compromised or damaged during the build? I had to speak to my town planner to ensure there was no going back and forth and ended up taking matters into my own hands. Hoping you get a decision soon.

Hi Mia
Your reply is such a great information to share. I have never thought of taking the actions of my own. I relied on the H&H’s liaisons with the council. I have never came across with the two planner, what do they do ? and how would they get involved with the built ?
Well you are a rate payer so they are able to provide the advice to you as the owner. Id just call up council and ask to speak with the town planner looking after your DA. Then just ask them what the delays are and the issues and they will explain to you what they need to have to sign everything off. My town planner was really good but not sure how other councils are but worth a shot. The town planner reviews all submissions for the build e.g statement of environment effects, your house plans against any easements and zoning requirements ect. They will be the person who allows you to build and not build and will tell you specifically what they need. I had them tell one thing and got told another from H&H and I pushed and ended up saving a fair amount of money
This is a great post.
Mark for my own reference.
Thanks to all.
Hi all.
Do you guys know how many projects does your site manager look after at one time?
Or did you care about this before signing the contract?
I heard they do a lot less than most volume builders.
Our Site Supervisor said he had about 8 jobs on, so I don’t expect they’d be managing more than 10 at a time. This seems pretty consistent with the messaging at the Sales stage.
Hi everyone, Making selections via Zoom appointments seems to be difficult. We felt like playing in the dark when we did a Zoom appointment with Beaumont Tiles as we didn't know what tiles were included in the H&H range. Just had to rely on what the Beaumont Tiles's person showed us on thescreen. Has anyone got a similar experience?
NewHM2021
Hi everyone, Making selections via Zoom appointments seems to be difficult. We felt like playing in the dark when we did a Zoom appointment with Beaumont Tiles as we didn't know what tiles were included in the H&H range. Just had to rely on what the Beaumont Tiles's person showed us on thescreen. Has anyone got a similar experience?

Hi, I found the first appointment hopeless in person as I was told to check stores out before hand and they couldnt tell me what was the included range. I ended up finding out during the appointment that the inclusions were gold range and it was any gold stickers, silver range was silver stickers on the tiles and red was upgrades. Check your tender for your tile range. Beaumont were very slow also in providing pricing and not having the style that other builders have, I would imagine it would be much worse via zoom!
Thanks Mia. We are thinking of delaying the selection decisions until their stores are open for us to go and browse the range.
Tiling selections in particular are best done in store as the colours on the website are never accurate. I found it was useful to go to Beaumont for one or two visits prior to booking the appointment with their stylist. That way you have a rough idea of what you need and only need to confirm it with the help of the stylist rather than trying to take it all in within an hour or so that they give the appointment for. [quote="NewHM2021":2z01wq14]Thanks Mia. We are thinking of delaying the selection decisions until their stores are open for us to go and browse the range.[/quote:2z01wq14]
Hi All, We are now trying to select the demolisher. We got quotes from Advanced Demolishing, Site Demolishing and Eco. Interestingly, Eco is about $7,000 more than the other two. Is this normal? Has anyone used the services from Advanced Demolishing or Site Demolishing? What was your experience?
Related
15/01/2024
Hall Way Lighting Suggestion

Lighting + Lighting Design

I have a really long hallway which is 1100mm W x 11500mm L I would appreciate if anyone can give suggestions to light it up with Linear LED lights that goes from wall to…

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum