Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

G.J Gardner build - Week 20 - Fitoff

Page 3 of 17
BrentandAllison
Here is a nicer copy of the plan.

Things I want to modify:
1 - Get a quote to extend the alfresco.
2 - The position of downpipes are on the front of the house that will be blocking where I want to put lights.
3 - Window in the WIR
4 - Sliding doors to wardrobes
5 - Swap AC and Gas bottles
6 - The configuration of the powder room.
7 - There are a few windows that we want to modify to make full length.
8 - There is cladding on the front of the house - BE GONE CLADDING! Never asked for it.... for some reason they put cladding on the back wall of the WIR.... wtf....

Cheers
B&A
cladding is lighter and cheaper for them , cuts cost of engineering etc etc ... sounds like you ve got a great grip on checking every detail. They deal with Reece and it cost us 6k to choose the beautiful shower heads , arc freestanding bath tapware , under bench sink etc... well worth every cent compared to the standard you will choose in colour selections.

galleriamad
BrentandAllison
Here is a nicer copy of the plan.

Things I want to modify:
1 - Get a quote to extend the alfresco.
2 - The position of downpipes are on the front of the house that will be blocking where I want to put lights.
3 - Window in the WIR
4 - Sliding doors to wardrobes
5 - Swap AC and Gas bottles
6 - The configuration of the powder room.
7 - There are a few windows that we want to modify to make full length.
8 - There is cladding on the front of the house - BE GONE CLADDING! Never asked for it.... for some reason they put cladding on the back wall of the WIR.... wtf....

Cheers
B&A

cladding is lighter and cheaper for them , cuts cost of engineering etc etc ... sounds like you ve got a great grip on checking every detail. They deal with Reece and it cost us 6k to choose the beautiful shower heads , arc freestanding bath tapware , under bench sink etc... well worth every cent compared to the standard you will choose in colour selections.

LOL - you should see the printout of the plan I have... I literally went over it with a ruler and highlighter from front to back... So every stroke of the highlighter as I went - I checked every detail on every page - elevation as well as floor plan.
I did the same thing with the quote - Blanked out all text with a piece of paper and only read one line at a time as to not miss anything. I found loads of mistakes the sales guy had made.

I'll be doing that with the contract also.

Ill be sure to put the plan on houzz.com.au for feedback.
Cheers
B&A
I love the double shower idea too. You wouldn’t even need to push the robe in just extend the shower up to it. The shower is already 1200 by the looks plus the window is 600 plus surrounds you can probably fit a 1900-2000 shower there nicely.

Building our first custom dream home. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
sparrowsnest
I love the double shower idea too. You wouldn’t even need to push the robe in just extend the shower up to it. The shower is already 1200 by the looks plus the window is 600 plus surrounds you can probably fit a 1900-2000 shower there nicely.

Building our first custom dream home. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Even better -
Ill remove the end of the shower - the glass panel to make it a walk in
Where the door is, I'll make a full glass panel
The tiles will be a different type that is in the showers, so I'll extend them all the way to the back of the WIR.
If that doesn't make sense, I'll draw it up tonight and post

Cheers for the input!
B&A
Beds 2 and 3 are going to be hotboxes if they face west - at least the porch partially wraps around bed 3. You could extend it along the bed 2 frontage to effectively extend the eave, otherwise I'd suggest investigating planting shading vegetation and/or getting grey/tinted glass on those windows. Unfortunately something always has to face west!
That’s a really cool plan, different from most I’ve seen on here! Only thing I noticed is do the stacker doors open the direction you want? I wasn’t sure I was reading it right but it looks like the opening is furtherest from the kitchen? If it were me, I’d prefer the thoroughfare near the kitchen island so I can take food outside etc and for flow, but that’s just an idea. I think it all looks good! Oh also re. Window in shower, I’d keep a nice big floor to ceiling window in if it were me. The more natural light the better especially for reducing mold and increasing ventilation. I like your walk in shower idea too

Also could swap activity with bed 2 so it cops the West sun.

JAMBY
That’s a really cool plan, different from most I’ve seen on here! Only thing I noticed is do the stacker doors open the direction you want? I wasn’t sure I was reading it right but it looks like the opening is furtherest from the kitchen? If it were me, I’d prefer the thoroughfare near the kitchen island so I can take food outside etc and for flow, but that’s just an idea. I think it all looks good! Oh also re. Window in shower, I’d keep a nice big floor to ceiling window in if it were me. The more natural light the better especially for reducing mold and increasing ventilation. I like your walk in shower idea too

Hey Jamby - you are 100% correct about the stacker doors and good spotting. For some reason I told the sales guy to do that. Don’t fear! - I have it on my list to change that.
The window in the shower - I was planning on having a long high window the length of the shower going horizontal. So I’m hoping there should be plenty of light from that.
Thanks for the great advice! Appreciate it.
Cheers
B&A
Plans look great, its so hard going over everything making sure you think you've got it right. Is you land ready to build on already?
marz1983
Plans look great, its so hard going over everything making sure you think you've got it right. Is you land ready to build on already?

Hey - yep, the land is ready to go! It was a knockdown and subdivide. Flat as you like and 607m2

Cheers
B&A
galleriamad
BrentandAllison
galleriamad
Air con unit right beside your bedroom window may be very noisy

That’s the first thing I noticed! It’s being moved to bed 2 wall where the gas bottles are. Then move the gas bottles somewhere.

Cheers for checking out my thread.
B&A
its a beautiful floor plan , and looks good , don’t know if u want the tips but I would do sliding robes because a lot of those bedrooms won’t fit bigger beds if doors need to open , also for bed three ... do u need another linen cupboard as u could remove that robe and make the linen cupboard a robe opening from bedroom side and have a much bigger room. This is def the stage to make changes. Walls can easily be moved and pushed out now but later will be harder and much more expensive.

Hey - that exra linen in bed 4 will be setup as shelving for dialysis stock, it was easier for them to label it linen so they know to put shelves in there.
Cheers
B&A
Hi Brentandallison! I love your plan! Ticks all of the boxes for me plus it’s huge too! We are building with GJ on the Gold Coast. I was looking at the Iluka before but I didn’t like that the plan had the kitchen in the middle so I was surprised they were able to flip it over to the side for you! Well done! If you don’t mind, what was the price for this plan? Thank you!

yarraland
Hi Brentandallison! I love your plan! Ticks all of the boxes for me plus it’s huge too! We are building with GJ on the Gold Coast. I was looking at the Iluka before but I didn’t like that the plan had the kitchen in the middle so I was surprised they were able to flip it over to the side for you! Well done! If you don’t mind, what was the price for this plan? Thank you!

Hey Yarraland - thanks! Well, builders are happy to change plans to suit your needs/likes and what not - you just need to know where you want things to be. It can sometimes be hard to know what you want when you don't know what you want until you see it.
The base price for the plan was around the $250K+ area. We have added quite a lot of upgrades to suit our tastes and what not.
E.g:
Waterfall benchtops
Triple garage
Coffered ceilings in 3 areas
Timber frosted pantry doors
Innowood Ceiling in alfresco
Extended alfresco (roof and slab)
Louvered full length windows in the kitchen (at the end of the bench)
and a bunch of little things that add up!
Please keep me posted on your build!
Cheers

B&A
We had a meeting with GJ last night for about 2 hours to go over the first lot of drawings. Have to say - impressed! Only 24 changes, very minor and maybe 1/3 of those were me changing my mind on things.

Blake was great - stayed back till 6pm to go through the whole lot. Not rushed or pressured at all.

So expected wait time for the re-drafted drawings to come back is about 2 weeks.

So now we wait.

What I changed:
Waterfall to one end of the bench
Extended the ensuite shower
configuration of powder room
Extended the alfresco in line with the kitchen window (plus roof)
Innowood cladding to the ceiling of the alfresco
Sliding doors to all robes
Moved the AC to bed 2 wall
Moved gas bottles to the rear of the master WIR
Added some columns to internal walls for a fancy feel

I'm just chill'n for now, happy to wait and start the purge of accumulated crap in our current house.
We have very minimal furniture now which is good. Just a small dinning table, Bed suite and a lounge. Some office desks and what not. The laundry appliances etc..

Gumtree is either your best resource or your worst nightmare... for me, its the latter...
Advertise something for free and these people expect you to drive an hour to deliver! LOL!

I advertised some free paper cranes I made (yes... about 100 paper cranes I made out of office post-it notes). Well she couldn't come to collect from 1 suburb away - then said that I can get a bus... yes... get a bus to deliver - to her - the free paper cranes.....
Yeah, I'll just do that shall I...

ahhhhh - people....

Cheers
B&A
BrentandAllison
yarraland

Hey Yarraland - thanks! Well, builders are happy to change plans to suit your needs/likes and what not - you just need to know where you want things to be. It can sometimes be hard to know what you want when you don't know what you want until you see it.
The base price for the plan was around the $250K+ area. We have added quite a lot of upgrades to suit our tastes and what not.
E.g:
Waterfall benchtops
Triple garage
Cheers

B&A

That is actually pretty good pricing for a huge house (usually that price is for something like 230sqm with some upgrades) plus all your upgrades!
yarraland
BrentandAllison
yarraland

E.g:
Waterfall benchtops
Triple garage
Cheers

B&A

That is actually pretty good pricing for a huge house (usually that price is for something like 230sqm with some upgrades) plus all your upgrades!

Oh - that's not even close to what we are paying! That's the base price.. We have included about 80K of upgrades...
BrentandAllison
yarraland

Oh - that's not even close to what we are paying! That's the base price.. We have included about 80K of upgrades...

ooohhh gotcha. That makes more sense now! But it's going to be a beautiful house though. I can already imagine
We are nearing completion of our house at the moment. Maybe you should start thinking of your electricals now - now those add up pretty quickly. A pendant light over here, another in the bathroom, an added outlet over there, maybe a dimmer in all the rooms...and voila hahaha
yarraland
BrentandAllison
yarraland

ooohhh gotcha. That makes more sense now! But it's going to be a beautiful house though. I can already imagine
We are nearing completion of our house at the moment. Maybe you should start thinking of your electricals now - now those add up pretty quickly. A pendant light over here, another in the bathroom, an added outlet over there, maybe a dimmer in all the rooms...and voila hahaha

EEEWWWWW..! LOL I don't want to imagine that!
do you have a build thread of your house?
Cheers
B&A
So I've ben ringing round getting quotes for our driveway. Does anyone have a good team that are in Bris - North side.

I'm pretty sure the builders simply get quotes from the same people then place their markup on that..

Cheers
B&A
Had a great weekend - went and took a look the display house were are modelling our design off. It's great to get to walk round and see it in person to get a good feel for space.

Funny storey - we got to the display at about 10:15am and had our plan in hand to compare what we are getting to what is in the display.

Well we were in there for about 40 min on our own and were simply going to each room one by one checking off features and little tid bits we liked and didn't like.

So by this time we were sitting in the lounge having a chat - then someone walks in the front door! LOL, Both Allison and I were basically living our little lives in there like it was our house and not a display home.... Had our mobiles sitting on the bench - plans sprawled out like we owned the place - the alfresco door open enjoying the breeze... They had nice music playing.. LOL...

The look on both our faces were exactly the same... was the "Oh yeah!, this ain't our house!" look. How dare these intruders come into our house without an invite!

Ahhhhh - guess you had to be there...

Cheers
B&A
Related
24/08/2023
Old Covenants in NSW - Something I learnt this week

Building A New House

Hi Everyone I learned something this week that I thought would be worth sharing. In NSW a lot of developers of subdivisions put covenants on the land which normally…

11/12/2023
GJ Gardner Homes North East Melbourne

Building A New House

May I ask why you chose not to use GJ Gardiner? I'm actually meeting with one of the sales guys tomorrow for an appointment. Definitely not signing anything yet…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum