Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

New Build - Weeks Building Group - Balhannah SA

Page 1 of 3
Hi all,
Thought i would use this forum to document and share our new build in the lovely suburb of Balhannah in the Adelaide Hills. We designed our own home and are having the Weeks Building Group build it. The main criteria for our design was efficient use of space and utilise the northern aspect as winter in the Adelaide Hills can get rather chilly...

We signed our contract back in March and have only now just started the Site Works. The Slab is scheduled to be poured on the 20/10.
Our block although being over 800sqm had some limitations which dictated our design. The setback on the garage side needed to be 12m from the front which meant a longer (waste of space) driveway. Out the back there is a 100yr flood line that is a the top of a bank which leads down to the Onkaparinga Valley River, the land is all ours right to the river but nothing could be built there as it does flood a couple of times a year. Still a nice green space to use when not flooding. For these reasons our home is designed the way it is. This is our full site plan on our block
Site Works started 3/10
Nice plan
Well done on only needing a 2000L tank for fire fighting purposes
I live in Blackwood and got slapped with a 22,000L for fire fighting purposes plus 5000 for storm water retention and 6000 for grey water usage
Thanks Dan, had a look at your journey, exciting times! We are in a BAL12.5 zone, so requirement not too bad - you must be in a higher zone...
All the best with your build!
AdelaideHills
Thanks Dan, had a look at your journey, exciting times! We are in a BAL12.5 zone, so requirement not too bad - you must be in a higher zone...
All the best with your build!

Yeah thanks
We were put in very high risk BAL18.5 I think its called
Elevations:
Keeping an eye on this. We are building with weeks too...

New build - Weeks Building Group SA

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

benblinkau

Hi benblinkau,
Will be keeping an eye on yours too - not many on this forum building with Weeks... We signed our contract back in March, so things have moved very slowly to get to this point. It seems as though nothing really happens unless you pick up the phone and query what the hold up is. Quite happy with Selections and pricing though. We are doing quite a bit ourselves post handover though (rainwater tanks, storm-water, driveway, perimeter paving, render to facade, internal flooring, window coverings, air conditioning, pendant lighting, ceiling fans, landscaping). Our slab is scheduled to be poured on Saturday so hopefully the pace will pick up from then onwards. Will keep this thread updated as the build progresses. All the best with yours - Council took some time for us although Weeks submitted plans that did not meet flood level requirements so that should have been avoidable
AdelaideHills
benblinkau

Hi benblinkau,
Will be keeping an eye on yours too - not many on this forum building with Weeks... We signed our contract back in March, so things have moved very slowly to get to this point. It seems as though nothing really happens unless you pick up the phone and query what the hold up is. Quite happy with Selections and pricing though. We are doing quite a bit ourselves post handover though (rainwater tanks, storm-water, driveway, perimeter paving, render to facade, internal flooring, window coverings, air conditioning, pendant lighting, ceiling fans, landscaping). Our slab is scheduled to be poured on Saturday so hopefully the pace will pick up from then onwards. Will keep this thread updated as the build progresses. All the best with yours - Council took some time for us although Weeks submitted plans that did not meet flood level requirements so that should have been avoidable

We have had issues with council too... and slow too.. weeks don’t seem to chase info very hard. We have our selection consultant doing the leg work and when we engage him, he gets things done!

Another delay - slab not being laid until 1st of November now, apparently Site Works have been put on hold due to rain - it rained 20ml back on the 12th.... Is this really too much rain to deal with. Hasn't seemed to hold up our neighbors site works...
Update:
Slab laid and framing up

Update:

Windows and Stacker Doors in

Couple of issues:

1. Asked for ugly etched safety 0000 ring marker things on Stacker Doors to be replaced by stickers so we could peel them off post handover - they came etched on

2. Asked for Stacker Doors to be rebated into slab so we would have a flush finish with the floor. Looks as though they have finished it flush to slab level and not thought about when we add the our floor coverings post handover - this could be difficult to fix...
signed up with them today for a build in Virginia Grove. Will be watching this thread with a keen eye.
Looks like your making good progress, congratulations!
Hugebloke
signed up with them today for a build in Virginia Grove. Will be watching this thread with a keen eye.
Looks like your making good progress, congratulations!

All the best HB, hopefully your pre-build phase goes better/quicker than ours did. Our actual build has moved along quite smoothly. Bricks are going up this week so will get an updated pic up here soon.

Our supervisor Peter, although hard at times to contact, has been quite good. He even allowed us to install the 1st fix of our ducted a/c last week prior to ceiling and gyprok going up (did a/c privately to save some $). We are also doing flooring ourselves so hopefully he allows us to instal that just before skirting boards are put on but we'll see.

Our trades have been most helpful too. During 1st fix of plumbing i noticed the mixers to both showers were placed in inconvenient places, so i simply left a sticky note showing were i would prefer them and the plumbers just moved them. Same again with electrical, i noticed some power points needed to be moved and even added a couple of power points, left a note, and the electricians obliged. Weeks were never involved in either of these (no variation charges). Should have been more specific in drawings i guess...
Progress - bricks are Austral Urban - Muscat Grey

Hi, following your story with great interest as we are building with Weeks too, our build will hopefully start this month.

Rob
Looking good there mate. looks like things are coming along nicely for you now.
we will be the same i think. once things start moving we should be fine but the waiting is killing me! not sure how you coped lol.

keep the pics coming, gives much inspiration!

and welcome Rob!
where are you building? Good luck with it too!
Hugebloke
Looking good there mate. looks like things are coming along nicely for you now.
we will be the same i think. once things start moving we should be fine but the waiting is killing me! not sure how you coped lol.

keep the pics coming, gives much inspiration!

and welcome Rob!
where are you building? Good luck with it too!

Thanks Hugebloke, we are in Happy Valley, will start a thread soon.
Hoping Bricking to be completed today, has taken a bit longer due to using the Brighton Lite White mortar

View down to creek out the back Stacker Door
Related
20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

15/04/2024
Pro finish tiling group

Renovation + Home Improvement

The wallopers will just say it's a civil matter.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum