Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How cheap could you do the gardens?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Just finished building and grabbing the keys this week. Last thing I need to do is get the gardens read for renters. It's a 25 square single storey house on a 556 square metre block.

My questions: how cheap could the gardens be done for? I don't mean DIY because I'm not in the country, but what do you think would be the lowest price possible to get grass put in at the very least and have it looking ready for renters.

I would like to get something nice and low maintenance but not quite sure how much $$$ I'll have left to do it.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry do not know the price.
Might be a good idea to hit some turf places around town for a quote.
Personally as I have dealt with renters, I would get some seed and do it yourself.
Most Renters seem to have an aversion to garden work especially cutting the grass and in six months it will be either be a dust bowl or a jungle.
Not 100% sure, but will share.

I was quoted $4,500 to rip up existing turf, bin it and lay replacement soil and turf for approx 56m2.

We spent $900 on turf for the same space that we laid ourselves.
Hi guys. Thanks for the advice. Stanus, I'd love to do it myself but I live overseas and can't get to Oz at the moment.

Other thing I was going to ask about was: has anyone here had to borrow extra to do the gardens? After paying for fences, insurance, inspections and a few other finishing things, I don't think I'll have the cash to do gardens properly straight away; however, I need to get it ready for renters. So has anyone had to borrow a few grand extra and was it an issue with the bank? Might give them a call today but interested in your experiences with this as well.
Update: I was aiming for 5-8 grand and I'm spending 16 grand.

It was hard to find people to do a quote, letalone the whole place and I needed it done pretty quickly as I want to get renters in. It was the cheapest of the three quotes I got.
Related
3/12/2023
Recommendations for quick and cheap updates for the exterior

Renovation + Home Improvement

1. Roof cleaning and paint - which colour do you recommend? I often see black/ dark grey in use these days but I would prefer…

5/06/2023
OB in SA: Do you need a permit? recommendations

Owner Builder Forum

Looking to start the journey of becoming an owner builder in SA. Feeling pretty (overly) confident on the building and construction details, but really struggling to find…

6/06/2023
Do you think this kitchen is original

Kitchen Corner

No. It's not original. Circa early to mid 90s would be my guess and maybe even as late as early 2000s

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum