Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Glendale 41 in Sydney - Marsden Park

Page 1 of 1
Hi All

Long-time looker on this forum.
This has taught me so much and has helped me immensely in the process of building.

I am building Glendale 41 with Como façade in Sydney with following modifications

1. Convert Bed 2 to WIR for master bedroom and prayer room
2. Convert study to Guest bedroom
3. Add shower to Powder room downstairs
4. GF ceiling height to be 2700
5. FF ceiling height to be 2550
6. Higher doors all through out
7. Countless additional windows and bigger windows in lieu of standard
8. Stacker doors in lieu of sliding doors (in Family, Dining and Balcony)
9. Butler’s pantry fitout
10. Brickwork to all elevations in lieu of cladding
11. Wide double entry door
12. Glass balustrades with 2 bottom maple stairs
13. F2C tiles to all wet areas

I am yet to go through Studio M selections so will surely have some more changes there.

Attached are my floor plans with all elevations. Happy to get some feedback.
Look forward to sharing this exciting journey with you all.

Is this your forever home or will you onsell at some point? We have family members that have recently built this home. The master is ample size with the Hollywood style WIR in it, you can add storage behind the bedhead too so you don't gain any storage by changing it the way you have really. If you kept the original layout for that you don't have to have the toilet door in your bedroom and could keep the prayer room a full size bedroom so that when it comes to resale you have 5 bedrooms and a study.
Also it's a big house to heat and cool, a sliding door to block off the family room/ kitchen area would mean it's easier to heat just that space without the heat going up through the staircase.
If keeping the prayer room as is, does it need a robe? Just thinking you could make the prayer robe the robe for bed 2 and make bed 2 a little bigger.

Hi MandM+4 thanks for the feedback.
This will our home for at least next 10 years to come who knows might also be a forever one.
We did toss the idea of leaving the WIR as-is (behind the bedhead, however due to balcony, the bedroom was only just over 4m wide which was a bit small for our liking hence loosing the robe behind the bed was the only choice and also personally i prefer a separate area for robe rather than behind the bed.
I do miss the additional storage space as the actual closet space is same as the standard robe behind the bedhead.

In regards with toilet door in bedroom. I am not very happy about it but again due to WIR and also a limitation on floor plan changes allowed by Metricon this was the only option. I am still trying to see if we can move the WC to void next to shower cabin but not sure if there is enough space. Or we will just need to use a decorative door to try and make it look a bit more fancy

Putting a sliding door to close off family and kitchen is a great idea and something i will enquire about and see how best we can fit that in

Also loosing the robe in prayer room and making bed 2 bigger is a smart way to make the bedroom bigger, however the only thing i am considering is that in future if it was to be used as study having additional internal storage might help.

Great to hear that you have some family members build the same house. I would mind hearing about there experience or seeing the photos if that's possible.

I appreciate your time and all the comments.
DRT
This will our home for at least next 10 years to come who knows might also be a forever one.
We did toss the idea of leaving the WIR as-is (behind the bedhead, however due to balcony, the bedroom was only just over 4m wide which was a bit small for our liking hence loosing the robe behind the bed was the only choice and also personally i prefer a separate area for robe rather than behind the bed.
I do miss the additional storage space as the actual closet space is same as the standard robe behind the bedhead.

In regards with toilet door in bedroom. I am not very happy about it but again due to WIR and also a limitation on floor plan changes allowed by Metricon this was the only option. I am still trying to see if we can move the WC to void next to shower cabin but not sure if there is enough space. Or we will just need to use a decorative door to try and make it look a bit more fancy

Putting a sliding door to close off family and kitchen is a great idea and something i will enquire about and see how best we can fit that in

Also loosing the robe in prayer room and making bed 2 bigger is a smart way to make the bedroom bigger, however the only thing i am considering is that in future if it was to be used as study having additional internal storage might help.

Great to hear that you have some family members build the same house. I would mind hearing about there experience or seeing the photos if that's possible.

What about this. Have a walk-in shower.
This looks good, i will check with my SC if this is doable.
I have request a second shower head in shower cabin to have the luxury of double shower but i think it should work with this layout also.

Thanks heaps
Any other suggestions also welcome.
DRT

I'm not sure about sharing photos as they aren't mine to share, sorry. They are happy with their build though, just a few minor defects and was built on time. They're in south western Sydney.
Another thing, the upstairs leisure is massive in real life, you could easily use some of that for a walk in linen, store room/walk in robe for bed 4, as moving the linen from where it is would give you more space for the ensuite if you need it. Just an idea.
Good luck with the build

Related
21/05/2023
Knock down semi, inner west Sydney

Building A New House

Hi I live in a 100yr old semi and my neighbour added an additional floor last yr and our architect has advised that we can knock down our semi and build a free-standing…

8/06/2023
Small builders in Western Sydney (NSW)

Building A New House

Hi all, We are looking to build a new two storey house in western Sydney. Can anyone recommend a smallish builder to go with? We are trying to stay away from the big…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum