Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Taking the plunge building Simonds Rio

Page 2 of 3
MicknCi

It's looking great so far. Are you using a private inspector on any stages?
Hi, Larry

No, just the plumbing pipes.

How have you found Simonds so far? I realise we are in different states, but the process has been sooooo drawn out for us.
Bri1234
MicknCi

No, should we?
larry1124
Hi MicknCi,

I'm building with Simonds Flinders in Gold Coast. We are almost the same in pace and my slab had been poured last week.

What are the white pipes in your slab? are those slab piers or pluming pipes?

Hi, Larry

How have you found Simonds so far? I realise we are in different states, but the process has been sooooo drawn out for us.
MicknCi
Bri1234
MicknCi

No, should we?

Lots of people recommend it.
We did for the first couple of stages but then didn’t worry. Do kind of wish we had gotten them to do a practical completion inspection though. Might have picked up on some things we missed.
MicknCi
larry1124
Hi MicknCi,

I'm building with Simonds Flinders in Gold Coast. We are almost the same in pace and my slab had been poured last week.

What are the white pipes in your slab? are those slab piers or pluming pipes?

Hi, Larry

Hi MicknCi,

My experience with Simonds is not very bad so far. Their staff are quite nice and patient, but I agree with you that they tend to prolong the process where I couldn't figure out why it takes so much time. Every time I make an inquiry for upgrade item, they at least took 3 days to respond with the pricing, if I raise any request requiring minor modification of the drawing, it normally takes around 1 week. One recent issue is that I found my slab was poured without any pier given my site is classifies as H2 which is highly reactive which pier normally should be bored to stablise the house. I guess the reason might be I signed a fixed site cost contract so that the builder would not be incentivised to bore piers to save cost.

By the way, do you check how many piers were bored at your slab and what is your site classification?
Hi MicknCi,

My experience with Simonds is not very bad so far. Their staff are quite nice and patient, but I agree with you that they tend to prolong the process where I couldn't figure out why it takes so much time. Every time I make an inquiry for upgrade item, they at least took 3 days to respond with the pricing, if I raise any request requiring minor modification of the drawing, it normally takes around 1 week. One recent issue is that I found my slab was poured without any pier given my site is classifies as H2 which is highly reactive which pier normally should be bored to stablise the house. I guess the reason might be I signed a fixed site cost contract so that the builder would not be incentivised to bore piers to save cost.

By the way, do you check how many piers were bored at your slab and what is your site classification?
Its been a while - but things are really starting to get moving at our build.

More photos - starting to really look like a home!

MicknCi
Ok, so I have had my second go at colour selection - just wasn't happy with our choices.

To be honest, I think having to be pressured to make all the decision in the one day is stressful and exhausting, not to mention a tendency to go overboard. So, in the interest of creating a great kitchen, we have cut back on a couple of non essentials.

New external colours (only changed the Basalt to Shale Grey - has a calmer feel, I think. Not to mention, more energy efficient with a lighter roof colour.

Next, the new interior colours - got rid of the 2 pac - what a ridiculous cost! - and went with form wrap in polar white with a settler profile for the entire kitchen/butler's and added caeserstone bench top.

A few other choices -

Walls - Haymes Soothe, trim - Haymes Marble Mist (ceilings and cornices - Simonds white)

Overall much happier with my choices this time around. After the first colour selection day, I went home feeling like I just couldn't be bothered with it all - especially when the new estimate was emailed! My overall changes actually reduced our upgrade costs by half, so now we are breathing easier.

The gallery is a trap! This is the first time we have built with Simonds. Previously our builder has given us an allowance and then we shopped ourselves at our leisure without the pressure - easier not to get carried away. Which is probably what Simonds is hoping for in order to make more money off us. So glad we stepped back, breathed and went over it again.

Loved this post and seeing the colours, it will be so helpful when we go to our colour selection next week.

I was just wonder if I could ask the cost to upgrade to Cat 2 Bricks? and if you made any changes like floor to ceiling tiles in the bathrooms? Would love an idea on the cost of that!

Also (last one I promise) were the upgraded internal doors much extra per door?

Thanks!
MrsPDilla
MicknCi
Ok, so I have had my second go at colour selection - just wasn't happy with our choices.

To be honest, I think having to be pressured to make all the decision in the one day is stressful and exhausting, not to mention a tendency to go overboard. So, in the interest of creating a great kitchen, we have cut back on a couple of non essentials.

New external colours (only changed the Basalt to Shale Grey - has a calmer feel, I think. Not to mention, more energy efficient with a lighter roof colour.

Next, the new interior colours - got rid of the 2 pac - what a ridiculous cost! - and went with form wrap in polar white with a settler profile for the entire kitchen/butler's and added caeserstone bench top.

A few other choices -

Walls - Haymes Soothe, trim - Haymes Marble Mist (ceilings and cornices - Simonds white)

Overall much happier with my choices this time around. After the first colour selection day, I went home feeling like I just couldn't be bothered with it all - especially when the new estimate was emailed! My overall changes actually reduced our upgrade costs by half, so now we are breathing easier.

The gallery is a trap! This is the first time we have built with Simonds. Previously our builder has given us an allowance and then we shopped ourselves at our leisure without the pressure - easier not to get carried away. Which is probably what Simonds is hoping for in order to make more money off us. So glad we stepped back, breathed and went over it again.

Loved this post and seeing the colours, it will be so helpful when we go to our colour selection next week.

I was just wonder if I could ask the cost to upgrade to Cat 2 Bricks? and if you made any changes like floor to ceiling tiles in the bathrooms? Would love an idea on the cost of that!

Thanks!

Hello, no problems at all - ask away!

We are in Victoria, so depending on where you are building, prices may be different.

We paid an extra $18,000 and got $45,000 worth of extras through a promotional deal, however I can confirm that the cat 2 brick (chestnut) was an extra $480 and the upgrade to the internal doors was $310 per door - we upgraded 10 doors, so it was pretty expensive, but I am really glad we did.

Our bathroom tiling we kept to the standard tile and layout options as I spent extra in my kitchen and on other things and needed to save somewhere!

What plan are you building? How have you found Simonds so far?
MicknCi
MrsPDilla
MicknCi

A few other choices -

Thanks!

Hello, no problems at all - ask away!

We are in Victoria, so depending on where you are building, prices may be different.

We paid an extra $18,000 and got $45,000 worth of extras through a promotional deal, however I can confirm that the cat 2 brick (chestnut) was an extra $480 and the upgrade to the internal doors was $310 per door - we upgraded 10 doors, so it was pretty expensive, but I am really glad we did.

Our bathroom tiling we kept to the standard tile and layout options as I spent extra in my kitchen and on other things and needed to save somewhere!

What plan are you building? How have you found Simonds so far?

We have chosen to do the Melrose 239 with a 1mt extension to the back half to add a bit of extra space. We have found them fantastic so far! We also managed to sign up just in time to get the extra 45 if you spend 18 which has been a life saver for upgrades like down lights and the opted extension.

thank you so much for the pricing! We are building regional Vic as well and have selections next Wednesday. I am VERY nervous about the differences in upgrade prices. Its a bit of the unknown at this stage.

Love love the doors you have chosen definitely worth the extra you spent, they will look stunning.
So, we are getting close.
Some hiccups along the way and some poor design issues we are currently battling with (see bathroom towel rail photo).
Sooo many delays. Just want to move in!

MicknCi
Some hiccups along the way and some poor design issues we are currently battling with (see bathroom towel rail photo).

That towel rail issue should’ve been picked up on the floor plans, how’s it shown on the plan, or better - where’s it shown on the plan? If that’s on their standard plan they’d have had issues with previous clients. Idiots.
gillybean
MicknCi

That towel rail issue should’ve been picked up on the floor plans, how’s it shown on the plan, or better - where’s it shown on the plan? If that’s on their standard plan they’d have had issues with previous clients. Idiots.

gillybean
MicknCi

Agreed - Idiots. We queried it at drawing stage AND at frame stage (before the plaster was put up and requested the noggins be placed elsewhere) and both times we were told there would be adequate clearance. We have agreed to have it changed to a single towel rail with a slightly larger door stop and they will leave the double towel rail under the sink for us to install ourselves after handover where we wanted it in the first place.
External painting finally completed. Regretting not splurging on a timber window at the front. Loving the mocha stain on the posts and front door. Nearly there...

We're In!

Is this with the kitchen next to alfresco.
MicknCi
External painting finally completed. Regretting not splurging on a timber window at the front. Loving the mocha stain on the posts and front door. Nearly there...

Which Facade is this ?
wudi
MicknCi

Which Facade is this ?

This is the Portland facade.
Related
20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

28/09/2023
If a Builder is taking deposits and not getting DBI how can

General Discussion

Thanks. I called VBA today and they said it was a Consumer Affairs issue, the old handball. Seems like the government organisations don't want to do their job at the moment.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum