Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Appointing a building surveyor? Am I living under a rock!?

Page 1 of 1
Currently building with Long Island Homes in Victoria. Everything has been going smoothly, I receive fortnightly email updates, have had only one walk through with the site supervisor at the frame stage. About 8/9 weeks away from completion.

And then I read in the paper something about home owners now (from late last year) being responsible for organising their own private building surveyor! Can someone please explain this to me? What am I required to do because the builder has not told me about this requirement. I have obviously left this too late and I am very worried!
maddisonjean
Currently building with Long Island Homes in Victoria. Everything has been going smoothly, I receive fortnightly email updates, have had only one walk through with the site supervisor at the frame stage. About 8/9 weeks away from completion.

And then I read in the paper something about home owners now (from late last year) being responsible for organising their own private building surveyor! Can someone please explain this to me? What am I required to do because the builder has not told me about this requirement. I have obviously left this too late and I am very worried!

Look up someone like new home inspections or Darbecca - you can employ them at any stage during your build to my understanding. They will just give their professional opinion on whether they believe everything is up to scratch. Legislation changed a while ago and u now have the right to choose an independent inspector rather than using the one through the builder (unless otherwise stipulated in contract)
exciting that your nearly done!!

Your builder might have had paperwork with your contract saying that they would appoint a building surveyor on your behalf. They should have pointed this out to you, but you might have unknowingly signed it.
Your building surveyor has already been appointed and you don't need to do anything.
Legislation has been changed so owners appoint building surveyors in an attempt to stop building surveyors getting too close to builders(because they get work from them). How is building surveyor going to be tough on the builder if he gets 200 builds a year from him? Builder will just take his business elsewhere. Now that owners are appointing building surveyors (in theory at least)the bond is broken (or seen to be broken).
building-expert
Your building surveyor has already been appointed and you don't need to do anything.
Legislation has been changed so owners appoint building surveyors in an attempt to stop building surveyors getting too close to builders(because they get work from them). How is building surveyor going to be tough on the builder if he gets 200 builds a year from him? Builder will just take his business elsewhere. Now that owners are appointing building surveyors (in theory at least)the bond is broken (or seen to be broken).

After some advice, it seems Metricon by action force a buyer to use their preferred Building Surveyor to achieve the outcome that is beneficial in getting a surveyor that'll be beneficial to them. In direct conflict to the intent of that legislation.

I've just receive communications that if I choose their preferred independent surveyor, they'll handle all the management and administration of the process via direct communication to that company. But if I choose a non-preferred surveyor I'll have to manage everything, as I am the client and they only communicate directly with me. So how are they able to communicated for one company, but not the other? When both are suppose to be independent and working for me?
rum_home
building-expert

After some advice, it seems Metricon by action force a buyer to use their preferred Building Surveyor to achieve the outcome that is beneficial in getting a surveyor that'll be beneficial to them. In direct conflict to the intent of that legislation.

I've just receive communications that if I choose their preferred independent surveyor, they'll handle all the management and administration of the process via direct communication to that company. But if I choose a non-preferred surveyor I'll have to manage everything, as I am the client and they only communicate directly with me. So how are they able to communicated for one company, but not the other? When both are suppose to be independent and working for me?

I have just been told the same from my builder. They are saying I have to use their surveyor (Group 4) as they have a agreement with them for issuing permits and assessment within specified (ie very short) timelines. They however said I am welcome to use my own inspector, which I was planning to do anyway.
Seems like these regulations have had little impact.
Any feedback on Group 4???
Related
27/01/2024
Building on rock

Buying Land

Hi all, I have been looking at land in South Australia, that is on a slope however most of the core excavation is complete, with a flat area to place a house. The agent…

31/01/2024
Building defect - sill flashing under window on concrete sla

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

There doesn't look to be any rebate in the slab to prevent water from scooting under the window. AS4654 is the Australian standard to look at/refer to. They have…

24/09/2023
Affordable Living Homes want more $$

Building A New House

I would be wary. Is you site demilished but nothing else done? Sounds like liquidity problems to me. Our builder did the same. Got hundreds of thousands of dollars of…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum