Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building 3 townhouses in Melb - advice for newbie

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is our first time building so I was looking for any advice you might be able to offer.
We're building 3 townhouses in Melbourne. The plans are still with council but we thought it might be worth starting to look for a builder. My questions are
- what should I look for in a builder? My biggest concern is they'll go belly up and not finish the job or that it will take a really long time and they'll keep delaying us.
- How should I go about finding a good builder? I haven't been able to get any recommendations and I've looked on productreview.com/google reviews, are there any other sources?
- How long would we realistically expect it to take until handover? Size wise 1 is about 20 m/2, the other 2 around 17 m/2.
- What is an approximate price by m/2 and is that how all builders price jobs?
Thanks for any assistance you can offer!
Welcome to the forum.
Along with a preliminary Design & Species you should also get a site report, contour survey, preliminary engineering and broad quants.
Having all that information will assist you in making informed decisions when selecting a builder
There are a number of variable that can influence Pricing & Construction time, but here in perth, it's slowed down and rates have realistically dropped eg. 3 town houses 12-15 months cost $1500m2
Related
18/01/2024
Cost of building 3 x Townhouses after knockdown

General Discussion

multiple occ properties are always billed by trades at a premium, rarely per sqm for the lot. You either have trades you know whoe will do by sqm or youre going to get…

16/10/2023
Newbie to Home renovation: DIY?

Renovation + Home Improvement

a building inspector should be able to tell you about any major problems but we need a floor plan with dimensions to clarify options for extra bedrooms ... sometime an…

18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum