Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Studio M

Page 1 of 1
I am heading to studio M this weekend and wanting to gather an estimate of prices for any up grades we wish to add and be prepared for my future offical studio M appointment. For those who are experienced at this is this what did? I am open to any advice. I have conducted a spread sheet on the up grades/ changes and costs.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=89239
Hi Vet that is exactly what we did too. Prepared a spreadsheet with the following colums for big ticket items that will have an impact on final price.

Room Name: kitchen, living etc
Section: Plumbing, Electrical etc.
Name of Asset: Window, Heating Unit etc.
Model No/Product No: If any
Standard or Upgrade: S/U
Option 1 Qty:
Option 1 Cost:
Option 2 Model No:
Optiom 2 Qty:
Option 2 Cost :
Comments: Here for electrical we also put location of the switch or power point or info we need to have at the apointment.

Hope this helps....

Then visit Studio M with this sheet and write model numbers and Qty n description or colour to give your consultant to give you a pricing. This will help you pivot on the sheet to give you a summary and help not to have too many surprises on the cost.

We were given a booklet before we did the tour that contained a lot of the pricing info, for Taps, toilets, sinks etc. we were also given an updated sheet for all the bathroom pricing when we went into the studio. That way we could do a spreadsheet and have a rough idea of what we would spend before the actual selection appointment.
You have to push pretty hard to get a price booklet I think, but they're worth their weight in gold.

Also, depending on your sales consultant, you can ask them for prices once you have model numbers, as above. If you don't like some of the things that Studio M supply (ie, taps) you can go direct to Reece for models and Metricon will give you a price. This is what we did for our tapware, shower heads and kitchen appliances.

Like the others I had a spreadsheet with model numbers and pricing, plus what you'd get back from the standard model (if applicable). Helps very much when going to final contract if you know your numbers and expected final cost. This included everything from upgrades to skirting & paintwork, to big ticket items.
LOL..WOW...don't get hypnotised by the office decor
& Make sure you have all the
Engineering, Checks, Facts & Proofs

Spreadsheets and Data are great here how eg
a. Option 1, Option 2, Option3,
b. Description, Quants, Costs
c. Builders quoted, Clients Estimated price
d. Difference between the 2 prices in c.
e Justification for price difference in d.
f'. Use accurate & Realistic Data & Algorithms in e.

Let me know if you need examples on Google sheets
Always make informed decisions and be prepared to pay a fair price

Goodluck
That's awaesome feedback thanks guys. I will add the rest of the columns onto my spreadsheet! We will be brining our new born & 1.5yr old so hopefully we can get the sympathy & get hold of that booklet!
One thing my husband is good at is the spreadsheet so I will get onto him to fine tune it.
One more question if you don't use there options eg taps & you search else where, can you get a credit to add to the taps you get from Reecevwhich they will pay mark up price & install?
Vet
One more question if you don't use there options eg taps & you search else where, can you get a credit to add to the taps you get from Reecevwhich they will pay mark up price & install?

Be mindful, if it's included in the price ie taps and then you get the builder to take it out, your credit then:
1.The laws of diminishing returns apply...there is a point where you don't save anything by taking too much out..know that point
2. There maybe a price difference between the charge price and the Builders credit, which is less?
3. in the above the Builder likes keeping their profits and margins
4. In other words they are happy to provide less work and still make their Profit & Margins ..if you get my gist
5. In which case add another column to your spreadsheet for
Actual builders price- builders credit + Your Estimate for the work outside of the contract
d. (Justification) & e.(realistic data/estimates) in above still applies
Keep us posted and call out if you need assistance
Cheers
Vet
That's awaesome feedback thanks guys. I will add the rest of the columns onto my spreadsheet! We will be brining our new born & 1.5yr old so hopefully we can get the sympathy & get hold of that booklet!
One thing my husband is good at is the spreadsheet so I will get onto him to fine tune it.

Yes, but as structural BIM says below, the "in lieu of" cost that you get back won't be as much as the full price item.

Having said that, for the most part we found that items that we asked to be costed were generally reasonable; apart from the AEG ovens that we wanted as AEG are not a brand that Metricon supply ($500 more than Retail, which Metricon said was install charges!). Having said that if you went with a brand that Metricon supplied (ie - Miele), they were definitely still cheaper to get through Metricon then to do after handover. Every time we wanted something different to the Metricon supply, I did my own research and then decided what to do.

Ie, we are building a single storey house, so quite easy to retrofit ducted heating & cooling, and to do it after handover was $14k vs. the $23k that Metricon wanted to charge. So easy answer with that one, we're doing heating and cooling after handover.
True Large builders have great buying power...you might save $300 on white goods
More concerning is battlers get belted ($ticker $hock) Tens of thousands on PSs for site works & engineering
ie estimates $10K, $20K ,$30K & $50K... which is correct?
Please make sure you have your siteworks on your Spreadsheet.
1. We didn't have to push at all for ththe booklet. In fact, we ended up with two.
2. The prices listed are the upgrade price, not the total. So you will be credited for the included item then have the full cost of the upgrade added. The price difference is what is shown in the booklet.
StructuralBIMGuy
LOL..WOW...don't get hypnotised by the office decor
& Make sure you have all the
Engineering, Checks, Facts & Proofs

Spreadsheets and Data are great here how eg
a. Option 1, Option 2, Option3,
b. Description, Quants, Costs
c. Builders quoted, Clients Estimated price
d. Difference between the 2 prices in c.
e Justification for price difference in d.
f'. Use accurate & Realistic Data & Algorithms in e.

Let me know if you need examples on Google sheets
Always make informed decisions and be prepared to pay a fair price

Goodluck
Sorry something went wrong with my previous post.

I find this form link very useful as I have a Studio M appointment in Sept. But I feel that I will be very confused and not prepared that I have never been there and not sure what to expect. Could anyone please send me a link or an example of the spreadsheet, if possible?

Thanks

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=89261&p=1745153#p1745153
Ranon
Unfortunately, You need to provide more information ie Species, contour, geotech engineering, plans
Reasons being
1.The spreadsheets are generally customised for your individual specific Build
2.Because of 1.above .Design details vary from project to project ie, m, m2, m3, item Nos, extra over, etc
3.If you had started designing using the right software or have access to the 3D Model then the whole process is automated
on the other hand if all you have are 2D plans only then the process is partially automated
4.Since your builder won't share that 3D information with you....Then you will need to take off the quants manually from the 2D plans
If you leave a PM I may be able to give you access to an example..you can work the rest out from there. goodluck
Related
26/12/2023
Granny Flat + Studio

Building A New House

I would suggest you simply go and talk to council about your proposal, most councils are getting onboard with ancillary dwellings. There is no benefit in keeping it…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum