Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

My little abode - Custom Blueprint Build

Page 1 of 1
As we start our building journey on our glorious 5 acres, we wanted a small low maintence home. After having a huge house before I decided I really hated cleaning it and many rooms that just collect dust.

We decided on this custom design with Blueprint. All robes will be done after handover but just wondering what would you change? We just have draft plans at the moment so can change anything we have missed.

BUILDING TIMELINE:

PPA - 19 Aug 17

Do you have a graphic of the house on the block you can share?
Just to be sure, does the red line denote your block or the green?

The green part. Red is survey area
I have a few comments but feel free to ignore as everyone's tastes are different!

Firstly I LOVE your giant scullery! So much storage! I personally would make it slightly wider so that you could comfortably put shelving on both sides. And maybe a small window at the end to allow natural light (I love natural light!).

Also you mention you're adding robes after handover. Have you thought about the alignment of the bed in Bed 1 and the location of the future robe? I would think that a natural alignment for the robe would be along the wall backing on to the laundry, but that would then possibly make it difficult to place the bed, and also make the window look off-centre.

As Arcadelt mentions, orientation on the block also makes a difference. Is there a reason that you've orientated the house so that the most northerly facing side has no windows?

How exciting for your new build!!! Jealous of your new minimalist home plans
Thank you guys some great input

My sales rep forgot the change the window in bed 1 to two awnings tgstcwill sit either side of my bed
I'm going to be doing an Lshaped robe like the pic below.

I love a scullery I've based this one off the one I have now, I thought I'd have plenty light from the slider in the laundry? I'll be doing the same set up as the pics from my house now with enough room in there for a second fridge that is so handy!

We on a battle axe block so facing the house that way makes our future entertaining area private from our neighbours in front

We going to be doing the entertaining area off from the main house so we won't need to have people inside and also a toilet .

We had something in mind like this that we can enclose with cafe blinds or something but this will still be a little while 😂 Away
spiffmiff
As Arcadelt mentions, orientation on the block also makes a difference. Is there a reason that you've orientated the house so that the most northerly facing side has no windows?

Thanks spiffmiff, but I haven't mentioned anything yet, though you have correctly anticipated where I was going to go once I had a better understanding of the situation.

JaNelly, your design is nice and simple, and I'm very pleased to see someone purposely planning to build a smaller home when large homes are the default. The primary point I would make is about orientation. I don't know the specific circumstances of you block, but at the moment your valuable Northern aspect is being wasted on a windowless corner of your laundry. Your house is already not sitting square on your block, so if you can spin the plan around so that your living area windows are pointing North, you will get a lot of solar passive benefits that I will guarantee will save you half on your heating and cooling bills. If not, I would suggest adjusting the design so that the living area owns some of the North-ish wall and make that glass. In fact, plan your outdoor area to be on that side off the living area. You could achieve this by moving the kitchen and scullery next to the audio visual room. If you can move the laundry too (into a cupboard perhaps - who needs a whole room for a laundry?) and give up that entire Northern wall to the living area, even better.

Finally, can I suggest you have a read of this excellent Government website (I have linked just to the passive design section, but there is so much more). It is not well enough known, but is one of the best resources a home owner or builder can read before even entering their design stage.

http://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design

We are close to finishing the build of a smallish (185 m2) house too, so if you would like any help, advice or a sounding board, feel free to ask.
Appreciate the info guys! very informative arcadelt thankyou

This will be our 6th house build so hopefully we got everything right haha

Yes i know the house is going to be cold due to the orientation but its the best spot. We sharing the block with my in laws and the position who will be on the opposite end to our house.the house now is the best position for privacy so that none of our entertaining area faces their house. On the furthest boundry we have a freeway wall so no neighbours on that side

hope this sheds more light as i hadnt mentioned about the sharing of land
Nicely compact design, love the non-McMansion-ness of it!

I too would seriously reconsider the orientation of the house on the block. Would be such a shame to waste the north light. Privacy can still be achieved through good design. Will the in laws' house be built right next to yours? It's such a big block, could you space the houses and interrupt lines of sight with plants and/or screening? Also the current design has the bedrooms facing west so the sleeping areas might get hot for bedtime.

You know, your design would be almost textbook perfect if you flipped it 90degrees
!

Hillsbuilds
]
You know, your design would be almost textbook perfect if you flipped it 90degrees
!

I second that.

Also try and get eves over the kitchen window it will stop the rain and heat in summer
After hours of to and fro'ing i have decided on colours for my kitchen.

heres a mock up of how the colours will look.

flooring - karndean mountain spotted gum
overheads - Polytec Sheen Lava
splashback - bright mirror

cupboards - Polytec Polar White Sheen
Stone - St Moritz Gloss
Paint - Dulux Vivid White

Hi Can I ask how many years of warranty did they provide to you guys?
Related
2/10/2023
Custom build | Facade colours

Building A New House

I'd get the gutters to match your roof and pipes to match the paint - otherwise they become a feature. Nice pick with the paint colours!

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum