Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building the Metricon Doulton

Page 8 of 15
Charlotte.h
Doulton777
stanus
it was 16.5k for the Doulton 56.

Would have been so worth it. The creaking annoys the heck out of me. Metricon is trying to say wait and let it settle for 24 months. But it’s got nothing to do with settling. As it was a problem before handover. They fixed most of it around the stairs. But the bedroom which the private inspector mentioned. Has it bad. Although he said it won’t be a problem because the bed will go there. Boy was he wrong. If I knew that I would have insisted they fix it before handover.

viewtopic.php?t=86597

Did you install any insulation between the floor Tanya ?

Nope didn’t even think of it as the time too be honest. It’s annoying me. Metricon is hopeless with maintenance. It was so much easier with my ss. He was so good and worked on things.

We are suppose to be getting the carpet replaced upstairs this week. Which cos them a far bit cos the carpet is very expensive. We put in a request to fix the flooring for creaking at same time. But they are saying wait the 24mths. It’s so annoying the creaking. It was there before Hanover. It didn’t get better with having a bed there like the private inspector thought. If I knew that I wouldn’t have excepted handover till they fixed it.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Charlotte.h
stanus

I would like to have hebel install but too late now.

I know I was thinking after having so much problem with the creaking. That I should have gotten it.

Don’t except handover if you get the creaking

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Doulton777
Charlotte.h
stanus

I know I was thinking after having so much problem with the creaking. That I should have gotten it.

viewtopic.php?t=86597

Where is the creaking in your house, and why they have to replace the carpet? Hope you ask for a thicker underlay.
Charlotte.h
Doulton777
Charlotte.h
[quote="stanus"]it was 16.5k for the Doulton 56.

viewtopic.php?t=86597

Where is the creaking in your house, and why they have to replace the carpet? Hope you ask for a thicker underlay.[/quote]

It’s in the hallway and one of the bedrooms.

They are replacing the carpet because when they had to lift up the carpet to fix the original creaking. They wrecked it. And the join was never the same. As for the underlay. I have already got the thickest they had. We didn’t muck around when it came to underlay and carpet. We got the best that they had.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
start of last week we had the hebel floor laid (hard to see) but you can make out the concrete looking flooring on the first level.

and at the end of the last week the second level was built

today we had the roof trusses done, and its starting to look (kinda) like a house!

stanus
start of last week we had the hebel floor laid (hard to see) but you can make out the concrete looking flooring on the first level.

and at the end of the last week the second level was built

today we had the roof trusses done, and its starting to look (kinda) like a house!

Looking great! How fast is the frame stage!
I drive past to work every day and it is exciting seeing it change from morning till the drive back in the afternoon.
wow, your build is going really well.

I thought about the hebel power floor as well but was under the impression that it's going to further add to the overall building height and side setback for my council, but looking at the picture it's not that much of a difference. Do you know how much higher does it add to the standard 300mm joist?
Hebel powerfloor is 75mm high. Although particle board is less approx 20mm, it does add some extra centimeters of height. My concern was the noise that particle boards make when walking on them. So rather than adding insulation I went with the hebel product to provide better isolation of noise.
Agree, it will be a very solid floor and great for sound insulation.

Another question on your windows and stacker door, I noticed you changed most of them to timber, is there a reason why you chose that over aluminum 300 series? I'm think about doing the opposite as I think timber deteriorate much quicker.

As do you mind me asking how much the panel lining to your outdoor room and portico? It seems pretty easy to DIY so if the quote is crazy then I will do myself.
Only think with Hebel flooring that apparently drilling through it for appliance etc... is a big pain. I got told that by an electrician when I told them I regret not putting it in because of creaking.

But Metricon is now coming out replacing 24 metres of carpet. And fixing all the creaking next week. I’m pretty impressed with them so far. They have been consistent. The maintenance inspector are great too deal with. The admin side is hopeless with maintenance I found. But the maintenance inspectors are really good. And they have now acted on it. Instead of making me wait 24 month for creaking. Which I didn’t want to do.

JXYL

Another question on your windows and stacker door, I noticed you changed most of them to timber, is there a reason why you chose that over aluminum 300 series? I'm think about doing the opposite as I think timber deteriorate much quicker.

As do you mind me asking how much the panel lining to your outdoor room and portico? It seems pretty easy to DIY so if the quote is crazy then I will do myself.

while timber windows and stackers do have more maintenance they do look better than aluminium framed windows and stackers.
that is why they are also more expensive.(the Doulton display has all timber windows except for the some bathroom windows) The fact that they do not transmit heat through to the interior of the home also is another point in favour of the timber. (although I have seem recently aluminium insulated window frames which are supposed to stop doing the transmission of heat).

The KDHW for the outdoor room was 4600 inc. stain. The portico nearly 2700. I also got the same done for the front balcony ceiling to match as I hated the look of plain plaster on the ceiling. Also I figured if I did not do now I would never do it, so as they say in for a penny in for a pound.
stanus
JXYL

while timber windows and stackers do have more maintenance they do look better than aluminium framed windows and stackers.
that is why they are also more expensive.(the Doulton display has all timber windows except for the some bathroom windows) The fact that they do not transmit heat through to the interior of the home also is another point in favour of the timber. (although I have seem recently aluminium insulated window frames which are supposed to stop doing the transmission of heat).

The KDHW for the outdoor room was 4600 inc. stain. The portico nearly 2700. I also got the same done for the front balcony ceiling to match as I hated the look of plain plaster on the ceiling. Also I figured if I did not do now I would never do it, so as they say in for a penny in for a pound.
Thanks Stanus, timber window and stacker definitely look better, I think I will leave them for my front elevation and rear access.

That's not bad for the panel lining so might let them do it. I also wanted M to do coffered ceiling in the sitting but they were quoting something like $550 per square meter so $10k plus just for one room when other builders are doing it for 3 to 4k...
Sunday I mowed the lawn and thought how about a beauty shot..

this week we had some of the windows installed

and also roof tiles delivered.

hoping tomorrow we get our stacker doors which will be recessed into the slab, done.
stanus

hoping tomorrow we get our stacker doors which will be recessed into the slab, done.

Your house is well under way
Looking good, it will be lockup in no time.

Btw, awesome shot, make your frame look like gold plated!
stanus

Early in the week we had roof sarking placed onto the roof

and today we had all the terracotta roof tiles placed onto the roof. One more job finished just in time for the rains tomorrow.

Perfect timing for the roof.

Do you minding sharing the cost of terracotta roof upgrade? I'm going for my studio M selection next month and couldn't find any info on roof upgrade.
The terracotta roof tiles were 6700 dollar upgrade from the original display home concrete roof tiles. It was worth it as concrete roof tiles do not have the same warranty 10 years vs 25 to 30 years on terracotta. And replacing or cleaning concrete tiles after ten or so years would be costly exercise on a double storey house. So I thought pay now to reduce maintenance costs later.
Thanks Stanus, I think it's a worthy investment too.

Hope your build coped well in today's rain.
stanus
The terracotta roof tiles were 6700 dollar upgrade from the original display home concrete roof tiles. It was worth it as concrete roof tiles do not have the same warranty 10 years vs 25 to 30 years on terracotta. And replacing or cleaning concrete tiles after ten or so years would be costly exercise on a double storey house. So I thought pay now to reduce maintenance costs later.
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum