Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building the Metricon Doulton

Page 1 of 15
Hello,
I am in the opening stages of building the Metricon Doulton.
The forums have been a great help in my journey and I thought it might be appropriate to contribute something myself.
I am doing a KDR in the west of Melbourne.

The Doulton was chosen because of its opulence. That and I love traditional facades.
I have tried to make the house build look like the display home, especially the facade. Although I would have preferred to do the outer walls in Hebel, the fact that the front facade will be built with 50mm brick meant that the house will be brick built and then rendered.(Hebel will be used later however)

I have also slightly modified the original design.
The changes are as follows:

-change Bedroom 5/En suite 5 to living room (downstairs)/Powder room
-3 metre ceiling height downstairs
-2.7 metre ceiling height upstairs
- Hebel Power Floor instead of wood floor
-Soundstop 10mm plaster wall to all exterior walls both floors
-R2.5 acousti-therm insulation on all exterior walls, rumpus, laundry, study,
Bedroom 2, 3, 4, and leisure
-R6.0 ceiling batts
-provide 50mm Austral Melbourne Hawthorn bricks cat11 on front elevation garage and ground floor, portico/bedroom1. The rest of the house Selkirk Ironstone Cat1 which will completely rendered and will not see these bricks.
-Right side of house window mouldings, following the theme from the front.
-roof sarking
-Terracotta Ebony roof tiles
-KDHW lining boards to portico ceiling/front balcony ceiling and outdoor room ceiling.
-Hardwood Decking to the outdoor room
-timber awning windows throughout except kitchen window which will be series 300 aluminium (and a few of the bathroom windows (due to issues with wood and moist air)
-double glazing on all windows and flyscreens to windows
-timber stackers in rumpus room/dining room.
-curved staircase with balustrade similar to the Bordeaux 56a with s10 iron scrolls (on one side the other side is walled in the Doulton)
-100mm Ceaserstone cat5 (Frosty Carina) kitchen/Butler’s Pantry/Bathrooms 2,3 and 4 except Powder room 1/2, en suite 1 were the drop will be 325mm.
-100mm Ceaserstone and 3m high tiles to Laundry
-2 Pac Cupboards to Kitchen/Butler’s Pantry/All En suites and laundry
-Kitchen Smeg Appliances integrated oven/cook top/range hood
-Butler’s pantry Smeg appliances Integrated oven/cook top/range hood
-Bronze mirror splashbacks to kitchen/butler’s pantry
-Under cupboard kitchen/butler’s bench LED strip lighting
-Kitchen relocation-Oven/Cook top to the window of the kitchen like the Doulton Display
-wet areas floor to ceiling tiles
-family room fireplace Jetmaster xlr-n plus stone hearth and tiled wall like display
-upgrade heights and types to all doors
-square set ceiling with bulkhead to entrance
-paint Dulux Wash and Wear
-exposed aggregate (batman) concrete driveway plus side passage concreting
-Front Door -Double Hume Matisse like the Bordeaux with translucent glass and brass handles like Bordeaux display
-Balcony Door - Double Hume Matisse like the (Bordeaux Entrance) with translucent glass and brass handles like Bordeaux display
-all interior doors Hume JST10 except for laundry/laundry linen/garage-house,bedroom1 and walk in linen which will be LIN1 doors. The Front living room will be 2x Hume XS26 1200 doors.
-En suite 1 freestanding Bath Kado Lure 1760 freestanding bath on 100mm raised platform like La Pyrenee display
-En suite 1 shower single panel glass 2.7m height(to the ceiling) en suite 2/3/4 single glass panel 2.1 meter high
-Entry Hall Niche and staircase Niche
-Bedroom 1 bulkhead to perimeter of ceiling (like Bordeaux display)
-Bulkhead perimeter ceiling in WIR A and WIR B (like la Pyrenee)
-Provide ceiling bulkhead to Family/Kitchen/Dining Room
-Braemar 6 star Gas Heating and Refrigerated 4 zone and 4 controllers (was going Actron but electricity prices scare me)
-8 zone Paradox alarm system with 8 Pir’s, IP chip and TM50 panel.
-Provision for 8 camera CCTV system (will install myself later)
-Provision for Video door phone (will install myself later)
-Ducted vacuum system 7 point plus ducted vacuum pan in kitchen
-The Rumpus room and Leisure wired for 5.1 surround sound
-Clipsal Saturn 4000 switches and GPO’s for most power points
-Cat 6 network wiring to every room (except Laundry etc.)
-Garage door B&D Panelift Grange with auto lock smart phone lock
-Provision for Heat & Glo Mezzo 1600mm heater in the front lounge room

There are many other items however cabinetry and carpeting I am not doing with Metricon.

I have yet to do tiles at Beaumont, but will follow the display house with Brescia Grigia porcelain tiles throughout with feature walls in wet areas and family room in Durastone olive polished and Durastone ash grey polished.

I will post a picture of the display(I hate posts without pics) and say that is how it is going to look..Only slight higher..

and a pic of the house that will be replaced.

stanus
Hello,
I am in the opening stages of building the Metricon Doulton.
The forums have been a great help in my journey and I thought it might be appropriate to contribute something myself.
I am doing a KDR in the west of Melbourne.

The Doulton was chosen because of its opulence. That and I love traditional facades.
I have tried to make the house build look like the display home, especially the facade. Although I would have preferred to do the outer walls in Hebel, the fact that the front facade will be built with 50mm brick meant that the house will be brick built and then rendered.(Hebel will be used later however)

I have also slightly modified the original design.
The changes are as follows:

-change Bedroom 5/En suite 5 to living room (downstairs)/Powder room
-3 metre ceiling height downstairs
-2.7 metre ceiling height upstairs
- Hebel Power Floor instead of wood floor
-Soundstop 10mm plaster wall to all exterior walls both floors
-R2.0 acousti-therm insulation on all exterior walls, rumpus, laundry, study,
Bedroom 2, 3, 4, and leisure
-R6.0 ceiling batts
-provide 50mm Austral Melbourne Hawthorn bricks cat11 on front elevation garage and ground floor, portico/bedroom1. The rest of the house Selkirk Ironstone Cat1 which will completely rendered and will not see these bricks.
-Right side of house window mouldings, following the theme from the front.
-roof sarking
-Terracotta Ebony roof tiles
-KDHW lining boards to portico ceiling/front balcony ceiling and outdoor room ceiling.
-Hardwood Decking to the outdoor room
-timber awning windows throughout except kitchen window which will be series 300 aluminium (and a few of the bathroom windows (due to issues with wood and moist air)
-double glazing on all windows and flyscreens to windows
-timber stackers in rumpus room/dining room.
-curved staircase with balustrade similar to the Bordeaux 56a with s10 iron scrolls (on one side the other side is walled in the Doulton)
-100mm Ceaserstone cat5 (Frosty Carina) kitchen/Butler’s Pantry/Bathrooms 2,3 and 4 except Powder room 1/2, en suite 1 were the drop will be 325mm.
-100mm Ceaserstone and 3m high tiles to Laundry
-2 Pac Cupboards to Kitchen/Butler’s Pantry/All En suites and laundry
-Kitchen Smeg Appliances integrated oven/cook top/range hood
-Butler’s pantry Smeg appliances Integrated oven/cook top/range hood
-Bronze mirror splashbacks to kitchen/butler’s pantry
-Under cupboard kitchen/butler’s bench LED strip lighting
-Kitchen relocation-Oven/Cook top to the window of the kitchen like the Doulton Display
-wet areas floor to ceiling tiles
-family room fireplace Jetmaster xlr-n plus stone hearth and tiled wall like display
-upgrade heights and types to all doors
-square set ceiling with bulkhead to entrance
-paint Dulux Wash and Wear
-exposed aggregate (batman) concrete driveway plus side passage concreting
-decking to the outdoor room floor
-Front Door -Double Hume Matisse like the Bordeaux with translucent glass and brass handles like Bordeaux display
-Balcony Door - Double Hume Matisse like the Bordeaux with translucent glass and brass handles like Bordeaux display
-all interior doors Hume JST10 except for laundry/laundry linen/garage-house,bedroom1 and walk in linen which will be LIN1 doors. The Front living room will be 2x Hume XS26 1200 doors.
-En suite 1 freestanding Bath Kado Lure 1760 freestanding bath on 100mm raised platform like La Pyrenee display
-En suite 1 shower single panel glass 2.7m height(to the ceiling) en suite 2/3/4 single glass panel 2.1 meter high
-Entry Hall Niche and staircase Niche
-Bedroom 1 bulkhead to perimeter of ceiling (like Bordeaux display)
- Bulkhead perimeter ceiling in WIR A and WIR B (like la Pyrenee)
-Kitchen, Pantry, Family and Dining Room bulkhead to perimeter of ceiling
-Elevated bath platform 100mm (like La Pyrenee Display)
- Provide ceiling bulkhead to Family/Kitchen/Dining Room
-Braemar 6 star Gas Heating and Refrigerated 4 zone and 4 controllers (was going Actron but electricity prices scare me)
-8 zone Paradox alarm system with 8 Pir’s, IP chip and TM50 panel.
-Provision for 8 camera CCTV system (will install myself later)
-Provision for Video door phone (will install myself later)
-Ducted vacuum system 7 point plus ducted vacuum pan in kitchen
-The Rumpus room and Leisure wired for 5.1 surround sound
-Clipsal Saturn 4000 switches and GPO’s for most power points
-Cat 6 network wiring to every room (except Laundry etc.)
-Garage door B&D Panelift Grange with auto lock smart phone lock
-Provision for Heat & Glo Mezzo 1600mm heater in the front lounge room

There are many other items however cabinetry and carpeting I am not doing with Metricon.

I have yet to do tiles at Beaumont, but will follow the display house with Brescia Grigia porcelain tiles throughout with feature walls in wet areas and family room in Durastone olive polished and Durastone ash grey polished.

I will post a picture of the display(I hate posts without pics) and say that is how it is going to look..Only slight higher..

and a pic of the house that will be replaced.

Do you have any plans? When's your build starting? Where abouts are you building?

Your certainly upgraded almost everything. Which it's so easy too do.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Hi Doulton777,
for plans I am waiting for them to email me the pdf. I have the hard copy but there are still some changes which I asked for @ contract signing. When I get I will post here. Starting hopefully end of this year but realistically next. The house has yet to be demolished.
Upgrading became a passion for me after I got the display's upgrade list.
It was around that time that my wallet started feeling lighter. Coincidence?
stanus
Hi Doulton777,
for plans I am waiting for them to email me the pdf. I have the hard copy but there are still some changes which I asked for @ contract signing. When I get I will post here. Starting hopefully end of this year but realistically next. The house has yet to be demolished.

Haha yep we went way over our budget by $265,000. Was easy too do. Can't wait to see your plans.

Where about in the west are you building? We are building in the west too. But we weren't allowed to have the doulton facade. Which I was abit annoyed about. As I'm pretty sure the developers don't pay for my mortgage.

Your fortunate you got the price list. When we went for the doulton. We bought off the plan. They didn't have a price list at the time. So we just had to think of all the upgrades on our own. Which We did most of it with my consultant.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
All the best Stanus. Eagerly waiting to see your drawings. House looks interesting with all that changes.
Doulton777
stanus
Hi Doulton777,

Haha yep we went way over our budget by $265,000. Was easy too do. Can't wait to see your plans.

Where about in the west are you building? We are building in the west too. But we weren't allowed to have the doulton facade. Which I was abit annoyed about. As I'm pretty sure the developers don't pay for my mortgage.

Your fortunate you got the price list. When we went for the doulton. We bought off the plan. They didn't have a price list at the time. So we just had to think of all the upgrades on our own. Which We did most of it with my consultant.

viewtopic.php?t=86597

D777,
Its a KDR so do not have a developer controlling what I build, just a council which generally speaking is happy with development. Hopefully will get some drawings soon.
I could try to scan the hardcopy but initial success is not so good.

Sanuaka
The house is not much different than the display. Just the upgrades which I tried to match or sometime add on like the drop ceilings or the extra niche. Years ago I saw the Bordeaux and loved the opulence. When I saw the Doulton I got the same felling but thought I could add to. It is the reason that some of the upgrades that I have asked for are from the Bordeaux.
The 3 meter ceilings idea and the front doors are from there.
stanus
Doulton777
stanus
Hi Doulton777,

viewtopic.php?t=86597

D777,
I am building is Sunshine. Its a KDR so do not have a developer controlling what I build, just a council which generally speaking is happy with development. Hopefully will get some drawings soon.
I could try to scan the hardcopy but initial success is not so good.

Sanuaka
The house is not much different than the display. Just the upgrades which I tried to match or sometime add on like the drop ceilings or the extra niche. Years ago I saw the Bordeaux and loved the opulence. When I saw the Doulton I got the same felling but thought I could add to. It is the reason that some of the upgrades that I have asked for are from the Bordeaux.
The 3 meter ceilings idea and the front doors are from there.

Yeah I think with KDR it's different. As they are older areas. All the best with your build. Don't stress post them when you can. It would be good to see them.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Looking forward to seeing this mammoth home being built, and don't forget to add a link to this thread in your signature =)
dulie
Looking forward to seeing this mammoth home being built, and don't forget to add a link to this thread in your signature =)

Dulie,
me too! Sig. link added.
Started to get the first variations signed from the contract signing. The first ones were the doors specifically the upstairs balcony.
I thought I might post the colours from selections
I am following the display home colours throughout.
The theme is called Eastern Influence according to the Display Home Colour Schedule

The gutters/downpipes and fascia's will be Dune.

Roof tile French Terracotta Ebony (below image is showing a concrete roof tile as they did
not have a ebony terracotta on display)

Render/House colour Dune
Front Feature bricks Hawthorn 50mm

Entry and balcony doors will be Cabot's rich walnut
Kitchen/Pantry/Bathroom bench tops Frosty Carina
Laundry Bench Top Ginger
Kitchen Island Cabinetry Dulux Namadji 2pac gloss 80%
Kitchen/Pantry Cabinetry Dulux Apparition 2pac gloss80%
Laundry Cabinetry Dulux Apparition 2pac gloss80%
En suite 1 Cabinetry Dulux Namadji 2pac gloss 80%
En suite 2,3 and 4 Dulux Apparition 2pac gloss80%
all en suites bench tops Frosty Carina

Kitchen colours

Paint Interior
Walls Dulux White Duck
Ceiling Dulux Lexicon Quarter
I will be painting feature walls myself after handover(I paint my properties myself every couple of years so feature walls will be a cinch)
Staircase like the display Feast Watson Black Japan

Below is the colour board from selections

Tiles- I am going to Beaumont Tiles in Oakleigh next week

The selection will be similar to the display but the feature tiles that are on some of the walls of the display's bathrooms will be on all four walls (a design cue I saw in the Bordeaux that I loved i.e. why make one tiled wall fancy when you can make them all) plus tile reveals! But that's for another post.
Awesome! Would love to have had the budget to replicate a display home. Can't wait to see more progress, give Vuster a run on who did it better =D
stanus
I thought I might post the colours from selections
I am following the display home colours throughout.
The theme is called Eastern Influence according to the Display Home Colour Schedule

The gutters/downpipes and fascia's will be Dune.

Roof tile French Terracotta Ebony (below image is showing a concrete roof tile as they did
not have a ebony terracotta on display)

Render/House colour Dune
Front Feature bricks Hawthorn 50mm

Entry and balcony doors will be Cabot's rich walnut
Kitchen/Pantry/Bathroom bench tops Frosty Carina
Laundry Bench Top Ginger
Kitchen Island Cabinetry Dulux Namadji 2pac gloss 80%
Kitchen/Pantry Cabinetry Dulux Apparition 2pac gloss80%
Laundry Cabinetry Dulux Apparition 2pac gloss80%
En suite 1 Cabinetry Dulux Namadji 2pac gloss 80%
En suite 2,3 and 4 Dulux Apparition 2pac gloss80%
all en suites bench tops Frosty Carina

Kitchen colours

Paint Interior
Walls Dulux White Duck
Ceiling Dulux Lexicon Quarter
I will be painting feature walls myself after handover(I paint my properties myself every couple of years so feature walls will be a cinch)
Staircase like the display Feast Watson Black Japan

Below is the colour board from selections

Tiles- I am going to Beaumont Tiles in Oakleigh next week

The selection will be similar to the display but the feature tiles that are on some of the walls of the display's bathrooms will be on all four walls (a design cue I saw in the Bordeaux that I loved i.e. why make one tiled wall fancy when you can make them all) plus tile reveals! But that's for another post.

I believe those tiles are $130 could be a bit more now. Just giving you some idea. The tile side was fun I found. Let us know what you pic.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
I did the tile appointment at Beaumont tile this week.
I chose the tiles in the display home as a guide and went from there.
I was in and out in 45 minutes from Beaumont tiles.
I took a spread sheet of where I wanted the tiles and the type of tile I wanted.

The tiles I choose for the ground floor are the Euromarmo Breccia Grigio 600X600 Glazed Polished Surface Porcelain Tile
That tile will be also in the study and the front lounge room on the ground floor.
Also the same tile will be on all four walls in the laundry(to the ceiling)
Picture below

The same tile will be in all 4 en suites/toilets (to the ceiling).

The only variation will be the upstairs/downstairs powder rooms which will have a different tile to break up the monotony.
The tile for the powder rooms will be the Everstone -Durastone Olive polished 600 x 600mm with the front facing wall having the same tile but in 150 x 600mm size and in staggered laying. Below a pic. of the tile and the staggering effect

Also I have requested tile reveals to all windows in the wet areas
an example below of the Bordeaux displays tile reveals and the effect I am trying to achieve

The Everstone -Durastone Olive polished 150 x 600mm will be used in the family room around the fireplace with
the staggered effect again

Finally my balcony tiles will be Sidewalk Charcoal FB-Porc Textured 300x600

with tiling almost finished I am waiting for some variations to come through (i.e. forgot to choose towel rails so looking into that)I am one step closer to starting the build.
stanus
I did the tile appointment at Beaumont tile this week.
I chose the tiles in the display home as a guide and went from there.
I was in and out in 45 minutes from Beaumont tiles.
I took a spread sheet of where I wanted the tiles and the type of tile I wanted.

The tiles I choose for the ground floor are the Euromarmo Breccia Grigio 600X600 Glazed Polished Surface Porcelain Tile
That tile will be also in the study and the front lounge room on the ground floor.
Also the same tile will be on all four walls in the laundry(to the ceiling)
Picture below

The same tile will be in all 4 en suites/toilets (to the ceiling).

The only variation will be the upstairs/downstairs powder rooms which will have a different tile to break up the monotony.
The tile for the powder rooms will be the Everstone -Durastone Olive polished 600 x 600mm with the front facing wall having the same tile but in 150 x 600mm size and in staggered laying. Below a pic. of the tile and the staggering effect

Also I have requested tile reveals to all windows in the wet areas
an example below of the Bordeaux displays tile reveals and the effect I am trying to achieve

The Everstone -Durastone Olive polished 150 x 600mm will be used in the family room around the fireplace with
the staggered effect again

Finally my balcony tiles will be Sidewalk Charcoal FB-Porc Textured 300x600

with tiling almost finished I am waiting for some variations to come through (i.e. forgot to choose towel rails so looking into that)I am one step closer to starting the build.
Lovely. It all looks good.

viewtopic.php?t=88952
Love the selection! It's gonna look great!!
Love the tiles selections. It's going to look amazing. Did it set you back much? I wanted those black tiles for the powderoom. You know the ones out of the Somerset? But they didn't have them. But those brown ones look just as nice. Good choice that's from the display yeah?

Our tiling selection took 5 hours.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Doulton777,

the upgrade cost on the tiles was 54k. That was before I asked them to tile the study/front lounge room floor, the en suite toilet 2 and 3 walls to the ceiling, the laundry(they had provisioned 1.6m) to the ceiling and finally the family rooms feature wall tiles as per display (it was forgotten). I will be informed of the revised price later on (hopefully next week)
Do not remember the Somerset powder room tiles.
I only visited the display once and it was a long day as I visited the Doulton, Sovereign, Somerset and the Bordeaux. They all became a blur after that and the only things I could remember was the curved staircase of the Doulton and the high ceilings of Bordeaux.
dulie
Love the selection! It's gonna look great!!

Dulie
I hope so, following the tiles in the display I have less of a chance of getting it wrong.
stanus
Doulton777,

the upgrade cost on the tiles was 54k. That was before I asked them to tile the study/front lounge room floor, the en suite toilet 2 and 3 walls to the ceiling, the laundry(they had provisioned 1.6m) to the ceiling and finally the family rooms feature wall tiles as per display (it was forgotten). I will be informed of the revised price later on (hopefully next week)
Do not remember the Somerset powder room tiles.
I only visited the display once and it was a long day as I visited the Doulton, Sovereign, Somerset and the Bordeaux. They all became a blur after that and the only things I could remember was the curved staircase of the Doulton and the high ceilings of Bordeaux.

Gee all adds up pretty fast. I guess if your not putting carpet in there. It over takes carpet price. Really love those main tiles. It's going too look awesome. Can't wait to start seeing your build. There are now 3 of us that I know who's building the doulton.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
I have recently got back the plans of the build.
However there are some errors with the placement of items and some missing requests which I have requested at the post contract variations.
There are no big changes to the Doulton Plan just the removal of the guest bedroom downstairs and its replacement with a front living room and a powder room.
So here are the plans:

First Floor

the main changes on the ground floor:
-ceiling drop to entry hallway
-ceiling drop dining room, kitchen and family room(this is expensive as it is a non standard request)
-kitchen gas stove to window, double under mount sink to kitchen island
-butlers pantry gas stove and oven plus dbl sink
the main errors here are the glass wool batts which are supposed to R2.5 Accousti- therm batts

Second Floor

-ceiling drop to perimeter of bedroom 1 and WIR 1A/WIR 1B
-bath on 100mm raised platform
-Hebel power floor

Front of house and side

-front facade replicates the display home with 50mm brickwork exposed to the front with areas like the upstairs balcony and downstairs left and right.
-Ground floor height 3m
-First Floor height 2.7m
-Hume Matisse doors for front entry and also balcony.

Rear and side elevation D

-Side elevation mouldings to all windows to replicate the effect from the front windows.

That is the design of the my build of the Doulton. I am trying to replicate the display to a large extent with additions that I have seem in other Metricon displays to give the house the look I want. Example of this is the 3m ceilings/the drop perimeter of ceilings which I saw in the Bordeaux and the raised bath platform which is in the La Pyrenee. Waiting for my final variations to be finalised correctly and also the tile variations(that I expect to be a big one).
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum