Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom VALECO build - BRISBANE

Page 12 of 13
we need to start stalking our SS schedule too! will most likely need to take a few days off work to get there in time.

They have fixed most of it, but they still need to fix our staircase and a few other smaller things. Our build seems to be overly complicated for them to understand and it makes me nervous to be honest. If i manage to sneak in the house i'll post some pics and show the complexities lol
gr8ly
we need to start stalking our SS schedule too! will most likely need to take a few days off work to get there in time.

They have fixed most of it, but they still need to fix our staircase and a few other smaller things. Our build seems to be overly complicated for them to understand and it makes me nervous to be honest. If i manage to sneak in the house i'll post some pics and show the complexities lol

I have Fridays off, so lucky there lol!

Yes photos, we love them lol!!
At least you have got your private inspectors though (if that’s what they are called?) lol
So you have some piece of mind! I’m sure they are looking after you.

breebarter

At least you have got your private inspectors though (if that’s what they are called?) lol

we have only booked them twice.. once at frame and the other before handover.. so we haven't had another since. We might get him back in though. Although they only really look at standards and not features.

this is the only other image we have through the glass..

gr8ly
breebarter

we have only booked them twice.. once at frame and the other before handover.. so we haven't had another since. We might get him back in though. Although they only really look at standards and not features.

this is the only other image we have through the glass..

I just noticed your wine rack! Amazing
the sad thing is, i rarely drink lol!. We added that to increase swing space for the fridge door
so unfortunately we are nearing the end of our contract (next week) and we are still some way off handover. very disappointed at the speed our build has been going, and the continual mistakes being made.

they installed our powder-room cabinetry and realised there actually is no room for them to open/close the draws lol

Our laundry - while looking neat and tidy has actually been installed with the wrong tiles. They have used our tiles for our bathroom instead of our feature tiles we picked out.. anyway, wonder how long this mistake will take to fix?

Our beautiful staircase has been installed with the wrong staircase! this is a big one! it's supposed to be open tread and completely open. We've been told its being looked into, but after a month and still nothing, it is getting old. They also have extended our wall without our approval, and made our open staircase into a narrow awkward space. The platform is actually supposed to be a wrap-around step.. another mistake.

i'll be checking this part of the wall closely when they attempt to repair.

There is now a growing list of issues with our build. Just heartbreaking knowing that we should be arranging removalists but instead we are compiling a new list of defects to repair...

The exterior is still a long way off of being completed, with a crappy paint job, broken pipes and drainage, wrong coloured capping and missing feature panels, mouldy discoloured bricks, missing LED recess, and daily headaches.

hoping my next post is a more positive one! but so far its been a nightmare.
gr8ly
so unfortunately we are nearing the end of our contract (next week) and we are still some way off handover. very disappointed at the speed our build has been going, and the continual mistakes being made.

they installed our powder-room cabinetry and realised there actually is no room for them to open/close the draws lol

Our laundry - while looking neat and tidy has actually been installed with the wrong tiles. They have used our tiles for our bathroom instead of our feature tiles we picked out.. anyway, wonder how long this mistake will take to fix?

Our beautiful staircase has been installed with the wrong staircase! this is a big one! it's supposed to be open tread and completely open. We've been told its being looked into, but after a month and still nothing, it is getting old. They also have extended our wall without our approval, and made our open staircase into a narrow awkward space. The platform is actually supposed to be a wrap-around step.. another mistake.

i'll be checking this part of the wall closely when they attempt to repair.

There is now a growing list of issues with our build. Just heartbreaking knowing that we should be arranging removalists but instead we are compiling a new list of defects to repair...

The exterior is still a long way off of being completed, with a crappy paint job, broken pipes and drainage, wrong coloured capping and missing feature panels, mouldy discoloured bricks, missing LED recess, and daily headaches.

hoping my next post is a more positive one! but so far its been a nightmare.

Oh myyyy !!!
Seriously when will they give you guys a break and just get things done right.

I have not had a chance to look internally but did find holes in walls after plasterboards were up from workers clearly not giving a crap and slaming door handle into the wall.
Thanks _sallz - i know it's so frustrating! We also have plenty of holes in our plasterboards, but they are apparently an easy fix

are you guys close to handover?
Oh gr8ly... there are no words!

it's all becoming a bit humorous.. If we get through an entire week with actual solid progress and no mistakes i will be very surprised.
Aw gr8ly! My heart breaks for you!
so sorry your building journey has not gone as planned.
thanks breebarter i'm confident everything will be fixed to a high standard, but very disappointed that we will be going over contract. If the pace continues the way it has been we are still at least 3 months off.
Just read this gr8ly - how awful for you.
I know exactly what you mean though about the disappointment over mistakes. Although we are in our house now, we are still to have the absolutely dreadful interior paint job defects fixed but that's a whole other story. I'm so sorry to hear that your build is running so far over. What redress do you have regarding compensation to you for this?
gr8ly
Thanks _sallz - i know it's so frustrating! We also have plenty of holes in our plasterboards, but they are apparently an easy fix

are you guys close to handover?

No

I feel like they did heaps and now its stalled. Our SS says tiler going in and then it wont go in because tiler hurt themselves. Or scaffoldings coming down tomorrow but doesnt come down. Or this and that is getting installed but you see no progress. But now looks like its slowly getting done. I dont think we will be moving in mid July as per new prediction but our deadline was October so its still months away
thanks joggles, it's so so frustrating to find new mistakes, especially when they are busy fixing previous ones. Going over contract they will need pay penalty rates, which apparently is then taken off the final bill. But the rate is so small, i don't think it will encourage them too much. At the same time, i don't want a rush job. They just need to spend a solid 8 hours a day on the job to make proper progress. I find a trade comes in and does their bit, and the next day another trade comes in. I mean multiple trades could work on other areas.. there's still a lot to do. Scaffolding has come down, but there are still things that require scaffolding to fix.. makes no sense to me.

_sallz that sounds very familiar. We've been told similar things, promising trades going in, or this is being done this week etc, and it doesn't happen. Valeco blame their trades a lot for that, but maybe they should look into getting quality trades people with a work ethic, that actually show up when booked, and then actually doing a quality job. They may slow even further knowing they have up to October to have it done. We thought our house would get more attention as it approached end of contract, but it didn't. Still the same maybe 1-2 days a week for an hour (if lucky) pace. Where are you building again?
Oh gr8ly, I really feel for you, it seems like every little bit of progress they make there is more to correct. Who is your ss? I agree that they need to spend more time on site, you would just think they would like to finish being this far along.
gr8ly
thanks joggles, it's so so frustrating to find new mistakes, especially when they are busy fixing previous ones. Going over contract they will need pay penalty rates, which apparently is then taken off the final bill. But the rate is so small, i don't think it will encourage them too much. At the same time, i don't want a rush job. They just need to spend a solid 8 hours a day on the job to make proper progress. I find a trade comes in and does their bit, and the next day another trade comes in. I mean multiple trades could work on other areas.. there's still a lot to do. Scaffolding has come down, but there are still things that require scaffolding to fix.. makes no sense to me.

_sallz that sounds very familiar. We've been told similar things, promising trades going in, or this is being done this week etc, and it doesn't happen. Valeco blame their trades a lot for that, but maybe they should look into getting quality trades people with a work ethic, that actually show up when booked, and then actually doing a quality job. They may slow even further knowing they have up to October to have it done. We thought our house would get more attention as it approached end of contract, but it didn't. Still the same maybe 1-2 days a week for an hour (if lucky) pace. Where are you building again?

I'm surprised they didn't push through. I know someone wrote on this forum that Valeco was 8 weeks past the contract date (in our area). I think they had defects which were not rectified and no one bothered to communicate with him. He ended up getting his hand on the owners number to speak to him directly before anything was done.

Its sad that they are not concerned at all about their image. We haven't had anything too major on the house but definitely causing disturbance within the neighbourhood, all to do with messiness (which neighbours complained to council) and personally saw that they had left the block in a state that I thought was very dangerous for people to walk past - on council block (had to email them to advise them constantly to keep the area clean and safe as I knew the neighbour would complain again). I think I previously mentioned, a bus had hit one of the massive foam they had left on site (untied, majority of the time they have it all tied up) and flew onto the road where a council bus had hit it with passengers on. Things like this really shows lack of care how others view the company - I mean, they have a huge VALECO sign on the fence and its not giving them a good name.
tashmc yeah they could probably finish within a few weeks if they actually worked on it every day for more than 4 hours. Our SS is J - can't think of his surname initial lol - he's actually a good guy, but he's inherited the nightmare which is our house from the other 4 SS who had no intention of sticking with Valeco.

_sallz i think they have focussed on new customers, and left the older customers who had to deal with multiple SS on their own. Even they admitted that they took on too many customers from what they were capable of looking after, so a lot of houses including ours were neglected. Yeah another couple im talking to that are also building with Valeco have said the same thing about cleanliness... we have had complaints as well (earlier on). Anyway fingers crossed for both of us haha
This builder is building on a subdivided block near me in an established suburb.

Site cut Sep 2017, frames Nov 2017 and only now getting close to PC. Looks like it's going to be a 12 month build time. No idea on the delays if they're owner or builder related, but I saw weeks with no work being done, no cars on site.

After some of the shenanigans I've seen, my personal opinion of them is very low.
Hi Gr8ly,

Any progress on your build?
Related
2/10/2023
Custom build | Facade colours

Building A New House

I'd get the gutters to match your roof and pipes to match the paint - otherwise they become a feature. Nice pick with the paint colours!

28/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Looks promising! Hope the weather holds for you.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum