Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Almost Forever Home! - 45sq Quantum Home in the Hills

Page 2 of 2
So, Mick and I met with the guy's at Quantum Homes this morning for our colour selection! #happpydance
We had council approved plans back on Thursday and may still get a slab down before they shut up shop for Christmas.... Maybe!
I'll have to just try and stop thinking about it! ....
We all know that impossible!

We were so happy with how the selections went. Just over an hour and everything was selected!!

We won't get to choose tiles or carpet until frame stage, but everything else got done today.

Our Site Supervisor Mario said it might be a push getting a slab down by Christmas due to the site still needing to be cut, and because we are polishing the concrete.... Apparently 3 days after the concrete is poured is when the initial grind happens.... Crossing everything possible that they are able to get it done!

Nat
Very exciting times! Will be following your build!

jessicagauci
Very exciting times! Will be following your build!

Thanks jessicagauci can’t wait to finally have something to finally be posting about!!!

I believe our site cut is booked in for the weekend!!!! Bad news is...

I've been MIA for about 3 months!
So much going on and so much to post about! Ready Set... GO!!

So December 1st rolls around and we were convinced that there was zero chance that we would get a slab by Christmas. Because we only live 5 streets dow from our new house, we drive by every time we leave home 'just to check' and see if ay progress is being made!

We were on our way to work and saw.......

So of course dropped by the next morning to see what had been done! Due to the ugly weather that was forecast our site cut looked like a swimming pool! But it was progress!

And by the 22nd of December we had a slab! We were so excited!
Our site supervisor Mario is like a magician! we love these guys to bits!
So our slab sat there for just over a month... strengthening and curing!::cheerleader::

We were finally able to see how the house will actually sit on our block... You can have all of these grand plans for landscaping, to have them changed in an instant when you notice your slab sticks out of the ground almost a metre on the back side!

So back to the drawing board we went, after a few heated conversations we have a pretty good idea of what we will do!

On the 23rd January we had framing wood delivered and our layout drawn onto the slab, and the 24th frame start. By the 27th we had all of the walls up! Our slab was suppose to be polished before walls went up. but due to a few unfortunate events with the polishing man it had to be put off until after the frame was completed.

Our Entry way:

Main living/Meals/Kitchen:

Main living/Meals/Kitchen from another angle:

Master/Ensuite/WIR:

On the 29th January we had the first glimpse of what our bricks would look like! I was VERY nervous about this, our last 2 builds we have gone with darker brown bricks (Austral Homestead Tan and Austral Glenfern) but wanted a different look with this place. I LOVE the sandstone block look, so my partner chose Austral's Access Ash. I'm so glad i let hm take the lead on that one! I'm wrapped with them!

One the 8th February we had an (almost) full bricked garage. (The Wonky walls and brickwork in this photo are from my panoramic photo not a half assed build!!
)

And then the 14th February we had something that resembled a house!
We received our Frame stage Invoice! We also got to see what our Merbau timber porch posts will look like!

By the 19th February we had Facia (in Surfmist) and Gutters (in Monument), plus the colourbond roof was delivered and sitting in our backyard. Oh and I forgot to mention... Somewhere along the way we have acquired someones old washing machine..... RUDE!

Our Windows and Sliding door and more Bricks were delivered on the 20th and by the 23rd Feb it looked like this

Sliding door is yet to go in, but all the windows have been installed, our front door surround is in, we are completely wrapped in Blue paper and most of the roof is complete!

We met with SS Mario on Thursday to answer a few questions and had a few of our own answered! Main one being.... WHEN!!? When will we be moving in ***ROUGHLY!*** after a few quick calculations we got **DRUMROLL**......JUNE!!!! I was initially thinking around the Late August/Early September mark... So I almost wet myself when he said June! (plus major panic when I realised we now have to get ready to sell our place a whole lot sooner than I thought!!!).

We should have Electrical going in on Monday and Brickies start Wednesday. Mario thinks that Lockup Invoice should be about 2 weeks away and Fixing invoice about 4 weeks after that!!!!
I have never been so excited to hand over such a large amount of money before!!

I'll try and keep to regular updates rather than one MASSIVE post!!
Wow it looks like it’s been flying along. Very exciting

Building our first custom dream home. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
How was your experience with the new house?

We are building our new home with Quantum home too. We have done pricing and is waiting for contract.

NatTabs
I've been MIA for about 3 months!
So much going on and so much to post about! Ready Set... GO!!

So December 1st rolls around and we were convinced that there was zero chance that we would get a slab by Christmas. Because we only live 5 streets dow from our new house, we drive by every time we leave home 'just to check' and see if ay progress is being made!

We were on our way to work and saw.......

So of course dropped by the next morning to see what had been done! Due to the ugly weather that was forecast our site cut looked like a swimming pool! But it was progress!

And by the 22nd of December we had a slab! We were so excited!
Our site supervisor Mario is like a magician! we love these guys to bits!
So our slab sat there for just over a month... strengthening and curing!::cheerleader::

We were finally able to see how the house will actually sit on our block... You can have all of these grand plans for landscaping, to have them changed in an instant when you notice your slab sticks out of the ground almost a metre on the back side!

So back to the drawing board we went, after a few heated conversations we have a pretty good idea of what we will do!

On the 23rd January we had framing wood delivered and our layout drawn onto the slab, and the 24th frame start. By the 27th we had all of the walls up! Our slab was suppose to be polished before walls went up. but due to a few unfortunate events with the polishing man it had to be put off until after the frame was completed.

Our Entry way:

Main living/Meals/Kitchen:

Main living/Meals/Kitchen from another angle:

Master/Ensuite/WIR:

On the 29th January we had the first glimpse of what our bricks would look like! I was VERY nervous about this, our last 2 builds we have gone with darker brown bricks (Austral Homestead Tan and Austral Glenfern) but wanted a different look with this place. I LOVE the sandstone block look, so my partner chose Austral's Access Ash. I'm so glad i let hm take the lead on that one! I'm wrapped with them!

One the 8th February we had an (almost) full bricked garage. (The Wonky walls and brickwork in this photo are from my panoramic photo not a half assed build!!
)

And then the 14th February we had something that resembled a house!
We received our Frame stage Invoice! We also got to see what our Merbau timber porch posts will look like!

By the 19th February we had Facia (in Surfmist) and Gutters (in Monument), plus the colourbond roof was delivered and sitting in our backyard. Oh and I forgot to mention... Somewhere along the way we have acquired someones old washing machine..... RUDE!

Our Windows and Sliding door and more Bricks were delivered on the 20th and by the 23rd Feb it looked like this

Sliding door is yet to go in, but all the windows have been installed, our front door surround is in, we are completely wrapped in Blue paper and most of the roof is complete!

We met with SS Mario on Thursday to answer a few questions and had a few of our own answered! Main one being.... WHEN!!? When will we be moving in ***ROUGHLY!*** after a few quick calculations we got **DRUMROLL**......JUNE!!!! I was initially thinking around the Late August/Early September mark... So I almost wet myself when he said June! (plus major panic when I realised we now have to get ready to sell our place a whole lot sooner than I thought!!!).

We should have Electrical going in on Monday and Brickies start Wednesday. Mario thinks that Lockup Invoice should be about 2 weeks away and Fixing invoice about 4 weeks after that!!!!
I have never been so excited to hand over such a large amount of money before!!

I'll try and keep to regular updates rather than one MASSIVE post!!
Thi

We are building our new home with Quantum home too. We have done pricing and is waiting for contract.

Hi Thi!

Congratulations on your Build! My Husband and I find it incredibly addictive!

Since this last post A LOT has happened! We love our home and its complete! About 6 months ago we started building a fourth house with Quantum (as an investment), we were going to build it, do the gardens and make it cute, then sell it straight away. but when we figured out how much Capital Gains we would be paying my husband convinced me to sell our 'Almost forever home'. Its currently on the market! you can see the finished product here: https://www.realestate.com.au/property- ... -132797410
We are so proud of the finished product. There were days worth of tears whilst my husband was trying to convince me that selling was the way we should go. I know its better for our long term goal (financial freedom) however it doesn't make leaving here any easier!

Having dealt with the guy's from Quantum on multiple builds, I obviously only have good things to say about them! I'm more than happy for you to ask me any questions you have and I will give you my honest opinion!
Hi Nat,

Thank you for sharing.

We had bad experience with previous builder so we engaged Quantum Home and custom our house.

We have final pricing. We basically accepted the pricing to proceed with contract right away after few mins looking at the total amounts.

The house is 49.6 square double storey and priced for 554k.

We didnt even look at each costing item, the total number seem ok. We were delayed by previous builder and really want to move ahead quickly. So we just confirmed to accept the pricing and move ahead straight away.

My sale consultant has been fantastic, so everything so far so good.

I am just not sure whether we are expected to pay a lot more at color.

Could you please also share of the brick and roof tile options which they offer as standard.

I like your brick color, did you opt for white mortar? How much extra do they charge for white mortar?

Thank you

Cheers

NatTabs
Thi

Hi Thi!

Since this last post A LOT has happened! We love our home and its complete! About 6 months ago we started building a fourth house with Quantum (as an investment), we were going to build it, do the gardens and make it cute, then sell it straight away. but when we figured out how much Capital Gains we would be paying my husband convinced me to sell our 'Almost forever home'. Its currently on the market! you can see the finished product here: https://www.realestate.com.au/property- ... -132797410
We are so proud of the finished product. There were days worth of tears whilst my husband was trying to convince me that selling was the way we should go. I know its better for our long term goal (financial freedom) however it doesn't make leaving here any easier!

Having dealt with the guy's from Quantum on multiple builds, I obviously only have good things to say about them! I'm more than happy for you to ask me any questions you have and I will give you my honest opinion!
NatTabs
Thi

Hi Thi!

Your house looks beautiful, such a pity you’re selling it however I’m sure your new house will be even better as you take the lessons learnt in building the last, on to your next one.

I was interested to see you had a combustion heater fitted in your house, did you ever get around to using it? We’re looking at installing one but as with most things these days, there are so many options on the market and most all seem to have positive and negative reviews. It’s very confusing, and I wondered what your own experience had been and if you were happy with the cost and performance of the heater you installed?
Hi Bebbsy!
Our new place is tiny compared to this one. A 19sq weatherboard cottage (13sq living). Like i mentioned, it was suppose to be an investment! Its very cute, and we have tried a few different things this time! Gives us a chance to see what sort of style we really love for our next one!

We love our wood heater! I grew up with one and think that you cant beat the heat that these things put out! I’m going to miss sitting in front of it in Winter!
Our home has ducted gas heating and the wood fire. We use the Ducted heating as the standard during the year, and the wood fire gets put on in winter when I know we will be at home for a few days and it’s freezing! Our location is generally 5 degrees colder than Melbourne so Winters days rarely get above 10-15 degrees!
There are pros and cons to it. Just depends on what you want. Our Builders use the Ultimate Wood fire brand - ultimatefires.com.au - Ours is the Supreme 25 which was their largest heating capacity with the straight glass door. Installed as part of our build it was an additional $3820, including the power point for the fan.
I love the dry warmth , the crackling Sound and the Smokey smell!!
With decent wood (I try and use red gum) it will have the main living room warmer than the ducted system would have. Sourcing wood can be expensive. If you pay to have it delivered then you have to stack it somewhere dry, wet wood doesn't burn well, plus its messy! Wood chips both outside and inside, plus the bugs that love living in the wood! I always try and give out pile a good spray of bug spray to kill anything living! Once or twice a season (depending on how often you use it) you have to clean out the ash that has built up in the bottom of the fire - again messy! Our ash gets sprinkled into the vegetable garden.
Next build we think we will try a Gas fire. I don’t like them as much, but for something we may only live in for a few years, I’ll put up with it! We plan on eventually living on acreage, I’ll definitely have at least one wood fire in that home!! 👌🏼
NatTabs
I love the dry warmth , the crackling Sound and the Smokey smell!!

Our Furbaby loves it too!

Thanks so much for that, we are in a similar situation in that we will use RC heating generally but we live in the Adelaide Hills so are thinking we should install a wood heater too. I have heard of Ultimate, so will look into that further.

Your furkid looks very comfy, I’m sure ours would love it too.
Related
11/05/2023
Building duplex at the hills council area

Building A New House

Even if it's not being sub-divided and you want to keep it as Torrens title, you will still need to talk to a town planner or Council themselves, to see if they will allow…

5/02/2024
Pool Builders, in and around The Hills Greater Sydney

Building A New House

Thanks again Simeon for being so elaborate. Appreciate it. Its gives us a very idea. Kind Regards

8/11/2023
Our house was beautiful until Distinctive Homes destroyed ou

General Discussion

of course there are legal avenues. You've already mentioned it. Sue them. I find it odd that lawyers wouldnt be willing to take on the case, given CCT evidence and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum