Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Metricon - Liberty 45 - NSW

Page 3 of 3
Dear All,

We just finished the external color selection, the only surprise is that we were told the bricks under the render (the whole front elevation) will not be upgraded because they need to use specific bricks for rendering.

I understand that the brick under the render won't show up at all, but as a fussy engineer, just don't feel very right. Another option would be drop rendering thingy completely...

Really want some insights about the rendering thing, does it worth while? Is there any advantage/disadvantage related with rendering? Also, is that true I have to use a special type of bricks under the rendering? Am I just too fussy?

Any suggestions are welcome, many thanks!
Rendering is only for cosmetics.
No you don't need special bricks to render.
IMO yes you're being a bit fussy.

If things like this bother you, building a house is gonna drive you insane!
dulie

Hi dulie,

Thanks very much, you are absolute right. I guess I just need to adjust myself
I didn’t think they used a special brick but they’re usually just the basic ugly 2c bricks they use on the inside of a double brick house for example. It’s cheaper because why pay for a nice face brick only to render over it? That wouldn’t make sense. You can’t tell any difference once rendered anyway

Hi All

I like to know the shower arm height. in our drawings its says 2200. seems to be high, Like to find out what is in others plans/drawings

Thanks
Kandi
Hi All

I like to know the shower arm height. in our drawings its says 2200. seems to be high, Like to find out what is in others plans/drawings

Thanks

2200 sounds about right.

My Ensuite plans are below. Doesn’t show here but the shower head is above the glass and the glass is 2000mm tall.

We upgraded our shower heads also.

JAMBY
I didn’t think they used a special brick but they’re usually just the basic ugly 2c bricks they use on the inside of a double brick house for example. It’s cheaper because why pay for a nice face brick only to render over it? That wouldn’t make sense. You can’t tell any difference once rendered anyway

Hi Jamby,

Yes, you are right. I actually asked the consultant of Austral Bricks when I went there to confirm the color. Another reason is that those bricks normally have very rough sides for the render to stick.

The lady also feels confused why I care about that
Anyway, I am adjusting myself.

Currently is still working on the external color selection, needs to be finalized tomorrow. The lady from Metricon is very helping, will post it out once decided.

Thanks for helping.
Kandi
Hi All

Thanks

Hi Kandi,

In the granny flat, we were using an adjustable show rose, the height is 1900, please see pic below for details. Not sure if this is what you were asking? Might this be related with the floor height?

In the main building, we are having the shower head as nom showed you. It might worth checking with M which shower head you should be getting.

Cheers.

dfin
Kandi
Hi All

Thanks

Hi Kandi,

In the granny flat, we were using an adjustable show rose, the height is 1900, please see pic below for details. Not sure if this is what you were asking? Might this be related with the floor height?

In the main building, we are having the shower head as nom showed you. It might worth checking with M which shower head you should be getting.

Cheers.

Thanks dfin, will check with M.
Regarding the demolishing, Metricon mentioned that both electricity and water disconnection should be done by demolisher, does that mean we should not disconnect those from the service provider? Will Metricon be needing the electricity and water during the construction?

Thanks in advance.
dulie

Dulie
I have had my brick selection cancelled (Selkirk ironstone) as they said they need a special brick for rendering.
At selections they said to me just select a cat1 brick. Did not mention about special bricks for render .
Now that we are closer to construction errors are being picked and rectified.
I have yet to find out the name of this brick but I assume it will be smooth brick to help with the render.
dfin
Regarding the demolishing, Metricon mentioned that both electricity and water disconnection should be done by demolisher, does that mean we should not disconnect those from the service provider? Will Metricon be needing the electricity and water during the construction?

Thanks in advance.

For Demolition, electricity and gas need to be disconnected. You need to organise it.
The demolisher cannot do it as the services are under your name.
My demo company needs water as they say it is an OHS issue, so I have not disconnected it.
After the demo when Metricon do the site scrape they will install a temp power pole at the front of the property.
Obviously you pay for that and there should be an item like that in your contract.
stanus
dulie

Dulie
I have had my brick selection cancelled (Selkirk ironstone) as they said they need a special brick for rendering.
At selections they said to me just select a cat1 brick. Did not mention about special bricks for render .
Now that we are closer to construction errors are being picked and rectified.
I have yet to find out the name of this brick but I assume it will be smooth brick to help with the render.

HI stanus,

Thanks for the information.

Regarding the bricks used under render, I actually talked to the consultant from austral bricks, they are the most common bricks with very rough surfaces which will help the render sticking. The normal bricks we used for external walls are called face bricks.

I don't think you need to specify the type of bricks for rendered walls, M will automatically choose the proper(cheapest) bricks for that.

Cheers
Dear All,

Just got a quote back from Housepect, first of their inspections is after the slab got poured.

I've read on the internet that the slab preparation inspection is very important because that's the stage you can check if the reinforcement and pod has been prepared properly, after the slab got poured, won't be able to find much.

Have any of you done the slab preparation inspection during the construction? Would it be necessary? Looking forward to hear from you. Thanks!
dfin
Dear All,

Just got a quote back from Housepect, first of their inspections is after the slab got poured.

I've read on the internet that the slab preparation inspection is very important because that's the stage you can check if the reinforcement and pod has been prepared properly, after the slab got poured, won't be able to find much.

Have any of you done the slab preparation inspection during the construction? Would it be necessary? Looking forward to hear from you. Thanks!

How much housespect is charging you
dfin
Dear All,

When we got the package with Houspect, the slab preparation inspection wasn’t a standard inclusion. We were told that we could get a slab preparation inspection done at extra cost but it depends on your land slope and soil. They mainly check that the concrete pillars have been poured at the correct depth etc. which would be important if you had sloping land or unstable soil. We decided not to get the slab preparation inspection done cause we thought our land was quite standard with only a slight slope.

Metricon Liberty 45, Ryde NSW
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=82846
Dear All,

The handover will be happening in about a month or so :)

Just want to check with you guys if it is wise to get a concrete apron around the house? I have heard that this can help protecting the foundation from moisture.

Personally, I would prefer lawn or pavement which will be nice and easy to adjust in the future. But have the foundation protected is quite attractive.

Please help. Thanks!
Related
26/04/2024
Cost of building an acerage home (the hils, NSW)

Building A New House

having built on acres several times i suggest that you also need to add the cost of a sewerage system and any associated fencing, water tanks with associated extra…

13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum