Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Written Direction To Fix Building Work

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I just received a notice from a surveyor. It's a written direction to the builder that the last inspection showed 11 items they needed to fix / comply with. On the one hand, I'm disturbed that there were so many items that needed to be fixed. On the other hand, I'm relieved that there's an independent quality control process.

However, I'm just not that sure how it usually works. Have you guys been through this before? Does 11 items seem unusually high? Anything to worry about or just leave it?

I emailed my contact at Boutique Homes, who said "Your site manager is aware of the items and is in the process of having them rectified for you".

I guess I just leave it and see how it goes from here. Interested in any advice / stories of your experiences, though.
When you say "leave it", I presume you will at least monitor or assure yourself about compliance with the direction. You don't need to be gnarly or dogmatic about it, but just ask how they went after a time reasonable for them to have addressed the issues outlined. This goes for all reminders to or breaches by your builder, not just from the surveyor. After all, it is your home and will be for many years after the builder has moved on.
Thanks. Yeah, by leave it I guess I mean drop it for the moment and follow up in a week or two - next time we are in contact. I am assuming he will get back to me soon when issues are rectified.
It's good to know that BS is on the ball with mandatory inspections, even so there are many things they don't check so if you don't know how to do it yourself you risk getting less than what you paid for due to non-conformance.
Related
4/08/2023
Floor Joist direction given by Structural Engineering

Owner Builder Forum

Assuming you've modelled the TB8, TB10, TB12, TB2 & J1 joists/LVLs there, it appears as per drawing to me. There maybe should be an additional J1 between TB10 and T12 if…

5/09/2023
Sliding doors direction

General Discussion

Pls help! The black marks show where our outdoor entertaining area would be along side of house as we have an irregular backyard and want to make use of the side as…

6/02/2024
How to fix improperly secured rainhead?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

If the railhead is so poorly fixed it is also likely that the railhead is also non compliant, what about overflows and sealing railhead to the gutters?.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum