Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Arden Homes - Votivo 43 - New home build

Page 4 of 6
Hi G33kerb0t, thanks so much for all your updates. I was searching around for Votivo 43 which is what we are building but could not find until this. We have gone through the colour appointment and looking towards tender. However noted few grey areas referred to as "provisional/ notes" in our sales quote. I'm referring to stuff where they had not fixed costs for site works and few layout changes that may impact 6 star rating hence up the costs. Would you mind sharing the total costs you had to go through and perhaps an itemized price list. We are a bit nervous at this stage thinking these things might creep up and become a nightmare at tender or possibly contract stage depending when it would be available to us.
Unsure areas were (can you help if you know),

1. 6 star energy costs :We have single glazing windows (increased our ceiling height to 2700 ground and 2500 first floor)
2. Site costs : provisional @ 15k for site works/ slab upgrades (default class M) and service connections
Assume the slab might need class H2
3. Acoustic/Sound requirements : No item was found if this was required or how the costs were. Other quotes we received from different builders had around 12k
* Finally was the price at tender a lot more than what you knew when you did your colour? I'm referring to any late items such as the 3 things above or anything else.
chanaka
Hi G33kerb0t, thanks so much for all your updates. I was searching around for Votivo 43 which is what we are building but could not find until this. We have gone through the colour appointment and looking towards tender. However noted few grey areas referred to as "provisional/ notes" in our sales quote. I'm referring to stuff where they had not fixed costs for site works and few layout changes that may impact 6 star rating hence up the costs. Would you mind sharing the total costs you had to go through and perhaps an itemized price list. We are a bit nervous at this stage thinking these things might creep up and become a nightmare at tender or possibly contract stage depending when it would be available to us.
Unsure areas were (can you help if you know),

1. 6 star energy costs :We have single glazing windows (increased our ceiling height to 2700 ground and 2500 first floor)
2. Site costs : provisional @ 15k for site works/ slab upgrades (default class M) and service connections
Assume the slab might need class H2
3. Acoustic/Sound requirements : No item was found if this was required or how the costs were. Other quotes we received from different builders had around 12k
* Finally was the price at tender a lot more than what you knew when you did your colour? I'm referring to any late items such as the 3 things above or anything else.

Hi Chanaka,

1. 6 star energy costs - you will never know this until contracts. This is all dependent on the block orientation and any changes you have made to the standard floor plan, and any changes you have made to windows. I also just had single glazing and had to upgrade to double-glazed on two windows, and upgrade ceiling batts to R5.0.
Double glazing to home theatre and 1st floor TV area was 1759 (my window sizes were 1543x2170 for living area and 2057x2410 for theatre)
Upgrade of ceiling batts to R5.0 was 1098
2. My site costs were provisional even on contract - i was quoted 17,500 as they are still not able to do site survey (my block is still under construction).
3. Acoustic/sound requirements - unless your council or estate has specific requirements, i think this depends on your personal preference. I have not added anything extra.Some people add batts in between rooms (like theatre room, or bathrooms adjacent to other bedrooms or living areas). Not sure how much these cost, but check on the bigger Arden forum - search for Arden Developments here on homeone.
4. They really don't give you an accurate price at colours especially if you had detailed customisations (like i've changed my kitchen drawer layout). What I can say is for the "standard changes" what you get at sales is around 90% accurate. These are things like upgrading stone to a higher category, flooring to a higher category, carpets, AC packages, etc.
What you won't find out until tender usually are any special tiles that you selected (those that are POA like our kitchen splashback), any special tiling requirements you want in your wet areas (like floor to ceiling tiles all over), any brick/mortar upgrades, any special window sizes, door types, cabinet finishes, etc. You also only know about your electrical prices at tender (although they can give you an idea during colours).
Speaking of tiles - we got sticker shocked at tender - floor to ceiling tiles to all bathrooms, and half tiles to all toilets costed around 6-8 grand total for the gold range tiles so we scrapped it out completely.
My advice when you go to tender is to look at the upgrades line by line. Read the descriptions carefully. Some things might get doubled up, some things that are already included in a priced item may be priced separately somewhere. Check all your cabinet/bench measurements especially if you've modified them as they can impact your price.

Good luck!

Btw, where are you building?
pEast
g33kerb0t
I guess I owe everyone an update but thanks for asking Ezza.

So we signed our contracts last end Nov. and paid the deposit. We are now waiting for land to title - developer said it might be April.

My thoughts on the contract process:
- there have been a lot of errors from Arden's side that were not captured properly. Maybe partly because we changed from Votivo37 to Votivo43 during the sales stage, but not all changes have gone through from colours -> tender -> contract. IMO, there's been 5 months total in that process - enough time to get it fixed.
- make sure you review your contract drawings, electrical, and tender. Question all items that are in doubt. Clarify.
- I've found Arden to be accommodating when doing post contract variations. Maybe because i threatened them not to sign contracts due to the number of errors that were there? Don't know. But I've been able to do a few PCVs with no charge. You can change electricals, colours, etc. Just don't change anything structural or anything that will impact your energy rating.
In my case I've revamped my electrical plan (their fault for not doing it correctly despite discussing in tender), and my kitchen cabinet changes, and bathroom changes that were also in the tender sketches. I've also upgraded my AC from brivis promina to contour (because of the motorised weather seal so heat doesn't escape during winter).
- I also found that the "contract" plan isn't the "final" plan. They said that before mobilising they will update the drawings with all the pending stuff they should've done at tender, and that will be the final opportunity to review all the details and get them corrected.
- To sum I up, the process isn't what I expected it to be, but their flexibility allows my to make sure that we have opportunities to correct whatever was missed, even after contracts, with no charge so far.

By the way, i visited our block this weekend and this is how it looked like - they sill need to build the infra. My block is maybe the 4th from the left.
Not confident that this will be done in April although the previous release to ours was done relatively quicker.

Building the Votivo43 - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=88553

Is it after the closed fence - then April is just a figure but I hope they finish major earth works before it starts raining - could you see whether they have laid drainage - if not I think you looking around June/July

Got a call from the conveyancer today. Apparently the update the developer gave them a few weeks ago was that titles were expected to be in May. Sounds promising! I'm not keeping my hopes high though - still expecting it to be June at least for the site start.
When was ARDEN's 12month price fix from, the early sales stage quote? or the final tender stage?
unfortunately from the moment you sign with them and pay your initial deposit
Yeah and I'm already expecting I'd pay some of that. Still cheaper than today's prices though. Some of the prices have risen by 40k from when i signed.

Building the Votivo43 - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=88553
Hi Guys,

Has any of you done the landscaping? We were told the landscaping needs to be submitted with the design for council approval. Checked with the council and they informed if the landscaping design is rejected it would take up to 30 days additional to resubmit and get approved. Basically, delay the build by a month. If you guys used any tools or got services from a tradesman would be great if these can be shared or any similar drawings/sketches for ideas. Thanks.
I have someone who is very good at landscape plans for whitehorse council. Where are you?
Prices range from $600 to $2500 (!!). In our council I think theoretically you can do it yourself also.
Treedance
I have someone who is very good at landscape plans for whitehorse council. Where are you?

I might have to get those details off you. I am in Knox and was going to ask the same question about landscaping plans. I assume that Arden wont do them for you (even at a fee).

I know they can be done yourself but my council recommends you get someone in. From my perspective, I will not know what needs to stay or go until we get close to demo. (we have a wide block and I am hoping that a fraction of the landscaping can stay).
1. BRS landscaping nunawading - $600 approx for a plan, did a relative’s garden. Not necessarily flash but seem honest and produced a good simple garden for my sister. To do works range $35-60,000 (cheapest quote we’ve had so far, others started at 60)

2. Trevor Owen (Monarch Garden Design)
0412 407 711 recommended by our private town planner as able to produce a landscape plan to get us through council. Again $600 approx. Will not do works or recommend anyone else.

For context we had two other quotes for our garden
- plan $1100/$1700
- works $100,000/$60-80,000

All with the same brief written by me.
Apologies for not responding sooner and thanks for sharing all the info. Especially to Treedance. Our council is the City of Casey. No Arden does not do Landscaping even if we paid extra. Only problem is the Landscaping is done with the building plan and both can get rejected by the council if the landscaping plan has problems. From what I could gather Council has some specific guidelines like native trees/bushes, how to places trees and the ambience of the colours used. Personally landscaping stuff are not the top of my list but due to the approval have no choice.
Do we have to have landscape plan for both the front and back areas or just what is seen (so the front). I thought the back was up to us to decide what we want?
ArdenPointCoook
Do we have to have landscape plan for both the front and back areas or just what is seen (so the front). I thought the back was up to us to decide what we want?

Check the design guide lines given by your land developer. Most new estates need to submit - You can ask for a sample of front landscape from Arden. I used it and then just drew with coloured pencils as per design guidelines
Treedance
1. BRS landscaping nunawading - $600 approx for a plan, did a relative’s garden. Not necessarily flash but seem honest and produced a good simple garden for my sister. To do works range $35-60,000 (cheapest quote we’ve had so far, others started at 60)

0412 407 711 recommended by our private town planner as able to produce a landscape plan to get us through council. Again $600 approx. Will not do works or recommend anyone else.

- plan $1100/$1700

Hey treedance, what were you going to get for that price? Did it include concreting/exposed aggregate? So expensive hey?

Ezza78
Treedance

- plan $1100/$1700

Hey treedance, what were you going to get for that price? Did it include concreting/exposed aggregate? So expensive hey?

Yes much more than we had thought! I have a very detailed brief but it wasn’t ‘fancy’. Driveway in existing location and to remain gravel. No swimming pool (!!), possibly a small water feature. All plants and planting. Fairly level block. 730m2 minus the area for house (we’re building double storey) so a reasonable area. Vegetable garden. Watering system.
Treedance
Ezza78
Treedance

- plan $1100/$1700

Yes much more than we had thought! I have a very detailed brief but it wasn’t ‘fancy’. Driveway in existing location and to remain gravel. No swimming pool (!!), possibly a small water feature. All plants and planting. Fairly level block. 730m2 minus the area for house (we’re building double storey) so a reasonable area. Vegetable garden. Watering system.

Have compared with other pricing since - I don’t think the lower figure is considerably out of range. For just a patch of lawn and peripheral minimal planting I think you could spend a good amount less than our lowest quote.
Our Site Costs just went up by $12,052 totalling to $27,052. The contract had it at $15,000 subject to soil survey. Apparently our land though flat has a lot of fill and the soil is sandy and requires H class up to 385mm deep and screw piles 6m deep. Do you think this is a reasonable hike or just a way for them to compensate for their losses by having us signed up before their $20,000 increase to the base price of the Votivo 43. On top of this of course we'll have to keep paying them 1000 a month till they're ready to start!
chanaka
Our Site Costs just went up by $12,052 totalling to $27,052. The contract had it at $15,000 subject to soil survey. Apparently our land though flat has a lot of fill and the soil is sandy and requires H class up to 385mm deep and screw piles 6m deep. Do you think this is a reasonable hike or just a way for them to compensate for their losses by having us signed up before their $20,000 increase to the base price of the Votivo 43. On top of this of course we'll have to keep paying them 1000 a month till they're ready to start!

Sorry but Why aren’t Arden ready to start
pEast
chanaka

Sorry but Why aren’t Arden ready to start

Our land is only settling next week but I know they won't start at least a month from then. They said they need at least 4 weeks from settlement and we're not entirely sure why!
Related
4/04/2024
New Home Build - Boundary Retaining Wall replacement advice

Building A New House

Can anyone recommend a good/affordable retaining wall and fence builder that I can get a quote from located in Sydney?

20/02/2024
Conveyancing & property inspectors for new home build?

Building A New House

If you are in Victoria you have a statutory right to your own building inspector regardless of builder's consent. No negotiations are required. However the builder will…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum