Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Arden Homes - Votivo 43 - New home build

Page 3 of 6
Nice geneva facade would be an inspiration to our facade.

Nice!!

Ok major update today - we did our tender appointment!

It was intense and very detailed. Our tender presenter was very good and she helped us reconsider some of our costs that ultimately helped us save A LOT of money.
We had to sacrifice non essentials but at the same time we found the perfect balance to keep everything that was an absolute must, and most of them where what would really add value to the home in the future.
She also did a few suggestions to save a bit more that she said we could do cheaper ourselves.
We were able to do last minute upgrades and updates to colours and electricals.

Some of the things we had to change to optimise cost:
- our over the top wishlist on tiling
- over the top mosaic tiles in bath/ensuite
- changed our flooring category to a lower one (from 8 to 4) without having a major impact to our colour scheme
- our staircase upgrade (which wasn't really a feature because in Votivo it is hidden between powder rm and walls.
- saved big bucks on air conditioning. Initially we thought they could only do evap on top floor hence we went with the refrig upgrade (10k+ unit + 3k to upgrade to 3 phase power). Slashed all that and we kept upgraded 5* zoned heating + evap cooling (free from the promo we signed up for ) and added vents dowsntairs. The result: cheap-as heating/cooling! Win!
- a few bits and bobs here and there

New upgrades we were able to add:
- carrara marble rhomboid tiles for the kitchen and butler's splashback (something we picked up from the block2017). Was a bit expensive but our savings everywhere meant we could keep our dream looking kitchen
- alfresco door - upgraded to a bigger/wider boutique bi-parting stacking door that is 4.2m wide. Should give us a nice wide opening from our kitchen to Alfresco
- 10k provision to do driveway/fencing/landscaping with our contractor of choice.

Very happy with the overall result!

Good work. We ditched the mosaic tiles when we saw cost at tender!

How does the provisional $10k work for driveway/fencing/landscaping with contractor if your choice? So Arden don't do driveway but you pay them??

What things were cheaper to do yourselves later?

Your stacker door will look great!!

Who did your tender? JB?

Ezza78
Good work. We ditched the mosaic tiles when we saw cost at tender!

How does the provisional $10k work for driveway/fencing/landscaping with contractor if your choice? So Arden don't do driveway but you pay them??

What things were cheaper to do yourselves later?

Your stacker door will look great!!

Who did your tender? JB?

So basically how the provision works is that the bank will pay them that amount as part of the overall loan, then Arden will give you a check worth that same amount for you to use on your own concreter/landscaper/fencer or whatever. It just means you don't have worry about that cash amount coming out of your pocket afterwards. Arden said they don't provide warranty on thr driveway anyway, and if they did it for you all you'll get is just the same driveway that any concreter will do + their builder's margin.

A very clever idea that was brought up by Arden.

My tender consultant was Kylie.

Really? No warranty even if they do the driveway? We are getting Arden to do ours. Prob paid too much but it was included with our previous builder so we just added in, it's about $6k to do double driveway including porch, so def paid too much there!!!

What over the top tiling did you scale back on?

Things that we can do cheaper later:
- security system and cctv (they will allow my installer to come in and prewire before plaster, so i don't have to pay arden to prewire)
- floor to ceiling tiles in wet areas - Arden said with the way they lay out their standard tiles, we can easily just buy the same tile colour from Beaumonts and DIY it (or get a tiler to do it).
- downlights - kylie knew from my electrical plan that i was going to do it myself later. She said it's a good decision.

Ezza78
Really? No warranty even if they do the driveway? We are getting Arden to do ours. Prob paid too much but it was included with our previous builder so we just added in, it's about $6k to do double driveway including porch, so def paid too much there!!!

What over the top tiling did you scale back on?

Aww sorry to hear. I spoke to a few concreters before who estimated 90-110 per sqm for an exposed agg driveway. Coloured concrete would be cheaper.

Works out to be around 4k for the double driveway.

Over the top tiling for us was floor to ceiling on all 3 bathrooms, plus we also included the toilet/powder rooms to have half-height wall tiles.
Mosaic tiles were going to be a wrap around strip on all tiled areas/walls.

g33kerb0t
- security system and cctv (they will allow my installer to come in and prewire before plaster, so i don't have to pay arden to prewire)
- floor to ceiling tiles in wet areas - Arden said with the way they lay out their standard tiles, we can easily just buy the same tile colour from Beaumonts and DIY it (or get a tiler to do it).
- downlights - kylie knew from my electrical plan that i was going to do it myself later. She said it's a good decision.

Good one! Never thought of tiling later - we included the floor to ceiling tiling. Remember to get your square set cornices if you do plan to do floor to ceiling tiling later, or ask a tiler if you def need them. Arden do then when they do it.

Ezza78
g33kerb0t

Good one! Never thought of tiling later - we included the floor to ceiling tiling. Remember to get your square set cornices if you do plan to do floor to ceiling tiling later, or ask a tiler if you def need them. Arden do then when they do it.

I'll probably do up to shower height only so I don't need to fiddle with the cornices. Small difference vs. full wall height.

It's ok. I knew it would have cost more but at the time I thought it would be easier to do all in one go - should have done more research. I researched everything else!!!

g33kerb0t
Ezza78
g33kerb0t

I'll probably do up to shower height only so I don't need to fiddle with the cornices. Small difference vs. full wall height.

True, and cheaper. When u add cost of square set cornices, and the different windows (ezy reveals), the floor to ceiling tiling option gets very expensive!!

Hi g33kerb0t,
Is it possible to do downlights later? Do we need to keep the connection before hand or how does it works?
gags
Hi g33kerb0t,
Is it possible to do downlights later? Do we need to keep the connection before hand or how does it works?
Hi yes you can do downlights after handover.
On a single storey house it should be easy as the sparky will have access to the ceiling.

Just make sure you have a few standard batten points around for the sparky to rewire from.

For double storey, as in my case, ceiling access on the ground floor is difficult and i had to request arden to put battens where i would place downlights after handover. For the first floor, it will be easier like a single storey as you'll have ceiling access.

Any updates g33kerb0t?

I guess I owe everyone an update but thanks for asking Ezza.

So we signed our contracts last end Nov. and paid the deposit. We are now waiting for land to title - developer said it might be April.

My thoughts on the contract process:
- there have been a lot of errors from Arden's side that were not captured properly. Maybe partly because we changed from Votivo37 to Votivo43 during the sales stage, but not all changes have gone through from colours -> tender -> contract. IMO, there's been 5 months total in that process - enough time to get it fixed.
- make sure you review your contract drawings, electrical, and tender. Question all items that are in doubt. Clarify.
- I've found Arden to be accommodating when doing post contract variations. Maybe because i threatened them not to sign contracts due to the number of errors that were there? Don't know. But I've been able to do a few PCVs with no charge. You can change electricals, colours, etc. Just don't change anything structural or anything that will impact your energy rating.
In my case I've revamped my electrical plan (their fault for not doing it correctly despite discussing in tender), and my kitchen cabinet changes, and bathroom changes that were also in the tender sketches. I've also upgraded my AC from brivis promina to contour (because of the motorised weather seal so heat doesn't escape during winter).
- I also found that the "contract" plan isn't the "final" plan. They said that before mobilising they will update the drawings with all the pending stuff they should've done at tender, and that will be the final opportunity to review all the details and get them corrected.
- To sum I up, the process isn't what I expected it to be, but their flexibility allows my to make sure that we have opportunities to correct whatever was missed, even after contracts, with no charge so far.

By the way, i visited our block this weekend and this is how it looked like - they sill need to build the infra. My block is maybe the 4th from the left.
Not confident that this will be done in April although the previous release to ours was done relatively quicker.

Building the Votivo43 - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=88553
g33kerb0t

So we signed our contracts last end Nov. and paid the deposit. We are now waiting for land to title - developer said it might be April.

- there have been a lot of errors from Arden's side that were not captured properly. Maybe partly because we changed from Votivo37 to Votivo43 during the sales stage, but not all changes have gone through from colours -> tender -> contract. IMO, there's been 5 months total in that process - enough time to get it fixed.
- make sure you review your contract drawings, electrical, and tender. Question all items that are in doubt. Clarify.
- I've found Arden to be accommodating when doing post contract variations. Maybe because i threatened them not to sign contracts due to the number of errors that were there? Don't know. But I've been able to do a few PCVs with no charge. You can change electricals, colours, etc. Just don't change anything structural or anything that will impact your energy rating.
In my case I've revamped my electrical plan (their fault for not doing it correctly despite discussing in tender), and my kitchen cabinet changes, and bathroom changes that were also in the tender sketches. I've also upgraded my AC from brivis promina to contour (because of the motorised weather seal so heat doesn't escape during winter).
- I also found that the "contract" plan isn't the "final" plan. They said that before mobilising they will update the drawings with all the pending stuff they should've done at tender, and that will be the final opportunity to review all the details and get them corrected.
- To sum I up, the process isn't what I expected it to be, but their flexibility allows my to make sure that we have opportunities to correct whatever was missed, even after contracts, with no charge so far.

By the way, i visited our block this weekend and this is how it looked like - they sill need to build the infra. My block is maybe the 4th from the left.
Not confident that this will be done in April although the previous release to ours was done relatively quicker.

Is it after the closed fence - then April is just a figure but I hope they finish major earth works before it starts raining - could you see whether they have laid drainage - if not I think you looking around June/July
pEast
g33kerb0t

Is it after the closed fence - then April is just a figure but I hope they finish major earth works before it starts raining - could you see whether they have laid drainage - if not I think you looking around June/July
Yeah it's after the closed fence. I saw the trenches already dug, some of the drainage pipes laid, some waiting to be laid.

I hope it doesn't stretch to June as that will mean slow start to slab and frames due to rain and cold weather.

Hi G33kerb0t - If I am not mistaken from your last picture we building right next to you with Arden as well (we are in Lillee Park Release) - we are going for Belmont 35 (were told land will title late 2018 ). We are currently on pre color selection stage

Was looking through other posts of people building with Arden to see if I missed few things and your adding a drainage in wet areas was spot on, I totally missed it and also expected it to be standard, thank you for that.

Few questions, if you do not mind answering (will also put some info that might be useful for other fellow "building with Arden" people:

A) I was told NBN box will cost us 2k - I do not think we need that as per my own research builder contacts NBN people, they come, hook up the property to NBN and the only thing I should worry about is where the exit point is (socket) so that I can hook up the ISP modem - can you advise if you were told same/what is your understanding of that?

B) Did Arden as standard offered sarking to the roof? I seen it being part of BAL rating package (if you are in the BAL zone, our land was removed from it a month ago), but not sure if having it is default for Australian builders (would be a bit crazy to only have naked roof tiles, but I also see builders only offering single-glazed windows, which nobody in europe uses in new builds for past 2 decades
so things might be different here ). If sarking was an extra can you advise how much was it?

C) Were you upgrading your inner house wall insulation? We found walls to carry sound very easily in display homes so we are thinking of adding sound-deadening insulation via Arden - when we were quoted during initial sales appointment it came up to less than 2k to do whole house internal walls and changing from 3.5R to R6 to roof space. We are also going with double-glazing (need to bring it up on color with them as sales did not have exact cost)

D) We found Arden fridge space to be standard at 900mm - this is not enough for 80% of "big style american double-door fridges" that you can find in most stores - will be upgrading it to 1m otherwise they might not have enough "breathing" space.

E) The amount of rocks that builders dig up on this land is scary, quite concerned about initial costs and any rock removal fees, was quoted 25k for site costs initially..
Witch
Hi G33kerb0t - If I am not mistaken from your last picture we building right next to you with Arden as well (we are in Lillee Park Release) - we are going for Belmont 35 (were told land will title late 2018 ). We are currently on pre color selection stage

Was looking through other posts of people building with Arden to see if I missed few things and your adding a drainage in wet areas was spot on, I totally missed it and also expected it to be standard, thank you for that.

Few questions, if you do not mind answering (will also put some info that might be useful for other fellow "building with Arden" people:

A) I was told NBN box will cost us 2k - I do not think we need that as per my own research builder contacts NBN people, they come, hook up the property to NBN and the only thing I should worry about is where the exit point is (socket) so that I can hook up the ISP modem - can you advise if you were told same/what is your understanding of that?

B) Did Arden as standard offered sarking to the roof? I seen it being part of BAL rating package (if you are in the BAL zone, our land was removed from it a month ago), but not sure if having it is default for Australian builders (would be a bit crazy to only have naked roof tiles, but I also see builders only offering single-glazed windows, which nobody in europe uses in new builds for past 2 decades
so things might be different here ). If sarking was an extra can you advise how much was it?

C) Were you upgrading your inner house wall insulation? We found walls to carry sound very easily in display homes so we are thinking of adding sound-deadening insulation via Arden - when we were quoted during initial sales appointment it came up to less than 2k to do whole house internal walls and changing from 3.5R to R6 to roof space. We are also going with double-glazing (need to bring it up on color with them as sales did not have exact cost)

D) We found Arden fridge space to be standard at 900mm - this is not enough for 80% of "big style american double-door fridges" that you can find in most stores - will be upgrading it to 1m otherwise they might not have enough "breathing" space.

E) The amount of rocks that builders dig up on this land is scary, quite concerned about initial costs and any rock removal fees, was quoted 25k for site costs initially..

Hello there Witch! Finally there's someone else building in my estate.

See my answers to your Qs

A: I did not do any of that. Just the pit to the garage connection ($472). In my case it will be into the internal garage wall. There's a discussion about it on the arden Facebook page. You'll see the posts in there. (Join in if you're not already).

B: Sarking is not standard. My block also isn't BAL classified so I didn't go for this option. Double glazing - this is bit expensive. Depending on your window size, it can be around 5-10k.

C: I just kept the standard insulation to the exterior wall. My ceiling batts got upgraded to R5 due to energy assessment.

D: i increased my fridge space to about 1m wide because we have one of those 2 door samsung fridges.

E: I was quoted 17500 for my site costs, although they haven't done a full site survey yet.

Related
4/04/2024
New Home Build - Boundary Retaining Wall replacement advice

Building A New House

Can anyone recommend a good/affordable retaining wall and fence builder that I can get a quote from located in Sydney?

20/02/2024
Conveyancing & property inspectors for new home build?

Building A New House

If you are in Victoria you have a statutory right to your own building inspector regardless of builder's consent. No negotiations are required. However the builder will…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum