Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building plans cancelled. New thread up.

Page 3 of 3
gemm01
kaykens
We are currently dealing with Cahill in Gawler and he's been fantastic, very accommodating. He's been very straight forward which has been refreshing.

I'm glad to hear that the standard included selections are good, that's the number one thing I've been panicking about thanks to our previous experience. The only thing we've noticed is a few of the items (such as stone) seem to be quite expensive compared to other builders, though from what we understand a lot of that is to do with the supplier relationship.

Do either of you have any photos that you took inside the selection centre? I know they're opening their new one soon but it'd be nice to have a little nosey.

- Kayla

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos, I was too busy looking at all the upgrades and getting told no by my partner 😂
Our selections were in a room though and we only went down stairs to look at basins and toilets and shower heads. They didn't have much range at all as they were renovating. But she had brochures for everything so even though we couldn't visually see it, the brochure gave us a good idea.

Hahaha I have a feeling that's exactly what will happen with Kenny and I. There will be a lot of 'NO KAYLA COME BACK HERE' flying around I think
Entilzha
gemm01
Hey Aloenyx!
We asked about the space in the ensuite with the shower and we were told we couldn't do that as that wall is where the toilet roll holder has to go. Otherwise we would've made the ensuite bigger.

I would have asked if that small section of wall could be done as a nib wall sticking out for toilet roll but with shower behind it still thus making that wall in the home theater area flat. or just use it for shelving for Movies etc with a curtain or similar over it to hide it - and maybe one on the wall on the opposite side to balance it

My partner wants that space for any equipment for tv, computer/gaming etc stored in that spot so it worked out okay anyway. I'm sure it'll look great once it's all up 😊
JM1911A1
I've got a fellow of my selections photos on my thread though I didn't take any of the overall area. I'll do a bit of a google for you!

Cahill is fantastic, he was our sales person and was extremely patient (my OH is a very slow decision maker).

Also, we found certain elements in their upgrades were priced very differently than other builders - ie: cost for our pivot door or extra tiles or extra doorways etc was strange compared to others. (We've got a massive double shower with shower seat and ceiling mounted rainwater head for under 2k, where I've seen comparisons of double that.)
Also if you're thinking solar at all - their quote (and their sole supplier is lovely) came in 3-4k under others we spoke to for a better system, and their air-con came in drastically cheaper for the size we want too.

Cahill was fantastic and when we got to gallery selections, the woman there knew already exactly what things we liked from what we'd talked to him about previously!

This is awesome feedback, thank you! It's great hearing positive comments like this, as it's a bit few and far between for SA builds with them on here.

We're thinking about maybe making an appointment to go through the selections center soon to have a look so we can plan accordingly with what's available. I'm terrible at making decisions and changes on the spot so I think that would help ease my mind a bit.

- Kayla
kaykens
JM1911A1
I've got a fellow of my selections photos on my thread though I didn't take any of the overall area. I'll do a bit of a google for you!

Cahill is fantastic, he was our sales person and was extremely patient (my OH is a very slow decision maker).

Also, we found certain elements in their upgrades were priced very differently than other builders - ie: cost for our pivot door or extra tiles or extra doorways etc was strange compared to others. (We've got a massive double shower with shower seat and ceiling mounted rainwater head for under 2k, where I've seen comparisons of double that.)
Also if you're thinking solar at all - their quote (and their sole supplier is lovely) came in 3-4k under others we spoke to for a better system, and their air-con came in drastically cheaper for the size we want too.

Cahill was fantastic and when we got to gallery selections, the woman there knew already exactly what things we liked from what we'd talked to him about previously!

This is awesome feedback, thank you! It's great hearing positive comments like this, as it's a bit few and far between for SA builds with them on here.

We're thinking about maybe making an appointment to go through the selections center soon to have a look so we can plan accordingly with what's available. I'm terrible at making decisions and changes on the spot so I think that would help ease my mind a bit.

- Kayla

Definitely talk to Cahill about it as we got to sneak through twice before our gallery appointment though you might have trouble if they're still renovating.
So just in the spirit of keeping a record of our experience, over the weekend we put together a list of items that we wanted to remove or amend from our quote to try and get the price down a bit or change items we'd missed previously, and sent it through to our sales consultant.

Including:

- Removed concreting, will be getting quotes to carry out privately
- Removed internal floor coverings, will get our own quotes
- Removed pot drawers in lieu of standard
- Upgraded ensuite option to include walkthrough wardrobe, double vanity and larger shower. This also means we have slightly more useable space in the actual bedroom.
- Went with 900x300 niche in ensuite shower
- Overhead cupboards in laundry came back at a somewhat gasp-worthy extra $700, so we will do those ourselves after handover.
- Changed our facade to the Portland, possibly with render on lower bricks
- Upgraded to cat2 bricks (haven't seen the range yet but I didn't like ANY of the cat1 for the look we're going for, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed)
- Included 3 x lightpoints to the front of the property as part of the promotion package. We didn't have any external light fixtures at our last house aside from the porch and we really regretted it.
- Increased the size of the window in the main living area to be double wide and high, as displayed at Blake's Crossing. Lets in heaps more light and opens the room up a fair bit.
- Also removed additional concrete to the alfresco at rear, as this isn't a standard inclusion. We will install decking after handover instead.
- Enclosed the second loungeroom and added 2x cavity slider doors for opening so it can be closed off or opened wide.
- Increased the internal door heights, including the cavity sliders.
- Increased the entry door size.
- Removed bathroom access sliding door from bedroom 4.
- Changed the window size at the end of the kitchen from a regular square window to a full height, half width window to match the rear sliding doors.
- Larger sliding doors to rear alfresco area from the dining room. We went with the 3.6m wide option for $450 instead of going up to the next size which was $2k.
If you'd like a look at the current Simonds Cat 1 and Cat 2 bricks, I have them all uploaded on Imgur here: http://imgur.com/a/iB2fQ
JM1911A1
If you'd like a look at the current Simonds Cat 1 and Cat 2 bricks, I have them all uploaded on Imgur here: http://imgur.com/a/iB2fQ

EXCELLENT. Thank you!! I've just been scouring the internet for them hahaha.
If you'd want Cat 3-5 as well for reference sake I can find them in my emails (we stayed with Cat 1 actually - we truly loved the look of Castilo (used on the Harcrest in Mount Barker which externally is where we're taking our colour palette ideas from)) if you'd want to know.
JM1911A1
If you'd want Cat 3-5 as well for reference sake I can find them in my emails (we stayed with Cat 1 actually - we truly loved the look of Castilo (used on the Harcrest in Mount Barker which externally is where we're taking our colour palette ideas from)) if you'd want to know.

That would actually be amazing, thank you. I'm stressing haaaaaarrrrrrddd over the externals. We're thinking a dark brick base with a light grey weatherboard so it'd be good to be able to visualise it and change accordingly if it just won't work.
kaykens
JM1911A1

That would actually be amazing, thank you. I'm stressing haaaaaarrrrrrddd over the externals. We're thinking a dark brick base with a light grey weatherboard so it'd be good to be able to visualise it and change accordingly if it just won't work.

No worries!

I found them and have added here: http://imgur.com/a/kikXL
They don't tend to have a huge amount of darks in Cat 3 or under (plataeu looks relatively nice in person but isn't everyone's taste), Cat 4 has two nice ones but in our book it was a bit above our price bracket.
Thank you!

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. We have had an estimate for rendering instead, but I'd like to avoid doing that if possible. So worst comes to worst we can either change our colour scheme a bit, or we can render.
kaykens
Thank you!

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. We have had an estimate for rendering instead, but I'd like to avoid doing that if possible. So worst comes to worst we can either change our colour scheme a bit, or we can render.

Not a problem at all!

We were after a kind of darker brick style and the light weather board but ended up going with the Castillo (Cat 1) with a light grey weather board like the Harcrest display here...

We found that given the tendency for kind of a dark patina in some of the bricks in that style met what we were kind of hoping to go for with the weatherboard a similar grey colour (and the garage door and windows also a dark grey)
The last few weeks have been a bit full on so we've been a little quiet over here, but we've also been busy little bee's closing in on our preferred plans and figuring out final financial ...figures. That was a mouthful haha.

So. Here's my callout for some help:

I'd REALLY love to see any photos from people that have built the Prague by Simonds, more specifically the ensuite, and even more specifically the double vanity upgrade option. I'm having some trouble picturing what the walkthrough & bathroom look like in the flesh whilst daydreaming about selection options.

- Kayla
kaykens
The last few weeks have been a bit full on so we've been a little quiet over here, but we've also been busy little bee's closing in on our preferred plans and figuring out final financial ...figures. That was a mouthful haha.

I'd REALLY love to see any photos from people that have built the Prague by Simonds, more specifically the ensuite, and even more specifically the double vanity upgrade option. I'm having some trouble picturing what the walkthrough & bathroom look like in the flesh whilst daydreaming about selection options.

- Kayla

I'm in the same boat but I'll have to wait a few months to see mine! Haha but pictures would be great so I know what to expect! 😂😂
gemm01
kaykens

- Kayla

I'm in the same boat but I'll have to wait a few months to see mine! Haha but pictures would be great so I know what to expect! 😂😂

Same, we're not even close to having our land titled but I'm impatient and I forward-plan like an actual crazy woman hahahaha.
kaykens
gemm01
kaykens

- Kayla

Same, we're not even close to having our land titled but I'm impatient and I forward-plan like an actual crazy woman hahahaha.

Haha! I need to see plan everything too! 😂😂 I need an idea of how it'll look so I can go Kmart homeware shopping hehehe
I know Tracey70 is currently building a Prague - she's got a few photos of the ensuite up but I don't recall seeing the WIR/bathroom angles.

These are the photos so far of our main bedroom with the walk through robe into the ensuite 😊😊
Related
22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

30/06/2023
Looking for house plans improvement recommendations

General Discussion

Really tight at the top of the stairs- how to get furniture into those rooms? Study books - does anyone really use them these days? Large storage closet would be more functional.

2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum