Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Recessed sliding door is flushed to internal floor slab

Page 1 of 1
Hello.

I'm new to HomeOne and I haven't been able to find any similar issues, hoping for some advice.

We asked for all sliding doors (alfresco and laundry) to be recessed and it's documented in the building contract. Builder allowed for us to do our own main floor tiling (except for wet areas). We advised the builder to allow for 4cm for our own floor covering.

We're almost nearing completion and we noticed that the recessed sliding door for the alfresco is at the same level as the internal slab - they hadn't allowed for the internal floor covering.

There's no issues with the sliding door and tiles in the laundry - The tiles are flushed to the door track.

We have raised this with our building supervisor and he's refusing that this is an issue.

I've tried to look for some information on Australian (NSW) building standards and can't find anything.

Hoping for some advice.

Thank you in advance!
emdee
Hoping for some advice.

You might find some useful information here:

https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=87486
emdee
Hello.

I'm new to HomeOne and I haven't been able to find any similar issues, hoping for some advice.

We asked for all sliding doors (alfresco and laundry) to be recessed and it's documented in the building contract. Builder allowed for us to do our own main floor tiling (except for wet areas). We advised the builder to allow for 4cm for our own floor covering.

We're almost nearing completion and we noticed that the recessed sliding door for the alfresco is at the same level as the internal slab - they hadn't allowed for the internal floor covering.

There's no issues with the sliding door and tiles in the laundry - The tiles are flushed to the door track.

We have raised this with our building supervisor and he's refusing that this is an issue.

I've tried to look for some information on Australian (NSW) building standards and can't find anything.

Hoping for some advice.

Thank you in advance!

Damn. I don't even know how they could fix that now. The tiler might be able to put a small ramp down along the doorframe.

C U S T O M. C O R A L. B R O N T E. 43
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=79581
arcadelt
emdee
Hoping for some advice.

You might find some useful information here:

https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=87486

Thanks arcadeIt! I should have posted there!
MrsJM
Damn. I don't even know how they could fix that now. The tiler might be able to put a small ramp down along the doorframe.

C U S T O M. C O R A L. B R O N T E. 43
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=79581

Once the tiles are in, it'll be 4cm higher than the door track so we can't go with the ramp
. Thanks for the suggestion!

I rang an independent building inspector today after seeing some recommendations on this forum. He suggested that I push the builder to rectify the issue as he believes it was an oversight by the site supervisor.

We're going to give them the option of:

A) Lifting the door. They will need to remove the metal plate between the sliding door and the bricks, remove a layer of the bricks, then cover it with a 35mm plate which will look like it's part of the door; OR

B) Provide a customized door size.

Neither is ideal because we're sacrificing either aesthetics or 4cm of the door height, but we think it's better than having a trip hazard.

Hopefully the builder agrees to either of the above options!
Hi , we're going through the same issue with our builder. What did you end up doing?
Did you ever get a reply on this???

Can anyone tell me if the builder is responsible for ensuring when the door is recessed into the slab to account for the floor inside?

Builder has recessed the door but the door is pretty much touching the concrete. Slides fine without flooring but as soon as I want to put the tiles in, it won’t fit.

The builder is claiming I need to cut the door so that the tiles fit under the sliding door?

I thought we had the same issue. They simply trim the bottom of the door upright frame things and it was fine
Hope this is the same for you
You are correct. It's just the fins on the sliding door that get trimmed.
Ultimately you should not be able to see the edges of the tile. For the OP the tiler will need to install a tile edge along the door so there's a neat edge.
It's not ideal but not the end of the world.
Related
1/08/2023
Double glazed sliding door recomendations? (Melbourne)

Windows & Doors

I’m in a similar position except I’m after sliding 3 stacking doors. I am on a second-story apartment of which the balcony would not adequately fit any bi-fold or…

3/12/2023
Sliding door to bathroom noisy

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Thanks Chippy . Did also see a YouTube video before. Removed them . Thanks again for the advice.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum