Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis - WOS Categories

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

Long time lurker - first time poster

We have just started the process with Porter Davis to build the Bermuda 23 with Games, Rumpus and Grand Alfresco Option. Being First Home Buyers/Builders we have a strict budget and have decided to put the majority of our money towards structural changes. We're happy to upgrade carpets etc down the track.

Is anyone able to assist in telling me what tiles, bricks, floorboards (and anything else) are in the Category 1 options so we can do a bit of research prior to our World of Style appointment?

I've just read through the WoS Preparation Guide and am SO overwhelmed with the amount of decisions that need to made!

THANKS!!
Very exciting!! What range is your design in? This will help with what's included and what's an upgrade.

Hi Nikil,

The Bermuda is in the Advantage Range - which I'm pretty sure is their "base" range. We've added the Design Collection Flooring Pack which lets us choose from the Category 1 Rivendell Carpet and timber look flooring and I'm pretty sure everything else is just the standard.
Hi shanny...

Highly recommend you goto the world of style and wander around. All the standard inclusions are labeled, depending on the type of home (prestige down to access etc...) so you can see what you'll get standard.

My wife and I spent 5 hours there the other week, and we haven't even paid for a deposit...wanted to know what we could choose from!

Hi Fademan,

Thanks so much - I didn't realise that. From what I've read so far, I thought that the World of Style was almost like shopping blind. That may have been older posts though so it's probably updated quite a bit. I'm SO excited yet SO anxious about going to World of Style! It's a whole different world building a home, isn't it?!
Shannykins173
Hi Fademan,

Thanks so much - I didn't realise that. From what I've read so far, I thought that the World of Style was almost like shopping blind. That may have been older posts though so it's probably updated quite a bit. I'm SO excited yet SO anxious about going to World of Style! It's a whole different world building a home, isn't it?!

Yes, yes it is! So much you don't know until you start. A lot of people on here have blogs and I've also started one. I found so much information on building and PD pricing from everyone's blogs and posts on here. Definitely go to world of style as many times as you can. They are happy for you to browse around as much as you want.

I think we've decided to go to World of Style this weekend and have a wander through.

I actually started a blog today too! More for our own referencing to be able to look back and see what has been accomplished and timelines etc. I had a peek at your blog earlier - sounds like we're in a very similar area.

Do you know if it's possible for PD to speed up the Contract process at all - 10 weeks seems an awful long time when our site start is only October. That's probably just me being anxious though...!
Just a bit of advice make sure you allow more for your site costs we allowed 20 thousand and on contract day they added 28 thousand more unfortunately we had to decline the contract 48 thousand on a 23 square home is a bit much. I hope your build is a smooth and great experience I just want you to be aware.
Shannykins173
I think we've decided to go to World of Style this weekend and have a wander through.

I actually started a blog today too! More for our own referencing to be able to look back and see what has been accomplished and timelines etc. I had a peek at your blog earlier - sounds like we're in a very similar area.

Do you know if it's possible for PD to speed up the Contract process at all - 10 weeks seems an awful long time when our site start is only October. That's probably just me being anxious though...!

You can always ask, just make sure you apply for your planning permit asap. This is what's holding us up now. I contacted the council in January to organise it and they told me we didn't require one. Turns out we do and have only applied for it after getting that new information from the same place that gave us the wrong information! It can take 60 days...

Nicksta1
Just a bit of advice make sure you allow more for your site costs we allowed 20 thousand and on contract day they added 28 thousand more unfortunately we had to decline the contract 48 thousand on a 23 square home is a bit much. I hope your build is a smooth and great experience I just want you to be aware.

Hi Niksta - what a HUGE difference that is! Did they explain why the big difference? We're a bit worried about site costs ourselves - they've estimated $20,000 too and hope they confirm this asap.
nikil
Shannykins173

You can always ask, just make sure you apply for your planning permit asap. This is what's holding us up now. I contacted the council in January to organise it and they told me we didn't require one. Turns out we do and have only applied for it after getting that new information from the same place that gave us the wrong information! It can take 60 days...

Thanks for the heads up - I hadn't thought of that. I'll contact Council today to see if we need one - although not that they got it right in your situation! Hopefully they speed it up for you considering it's their stuff up!
Hi shannykins173

Price blowout because they said they needed to use screwpiles......coming from the building industry especially foundations we knew their price was way over the top. But would have been nice to know before going into signing the contract all excited now have wasted 6 months. Don't let it happen check before signing insist to know before. Good luck my intention is not to bag PD just don't want it to happen to others
Nicksta1
Hi shannykins173

Price blowout because they said they needed to use screwpiles......coming from the building industry especially foundations we knew their price was way over the top. But would have been nice to know before going into signing the contract all excited now have wasted 6 months. Don't let it happen check before signing insist to know before. Good luck my intention is not to bag PD just don't want it to happen to others

HI Nicksta,

Certainly doesn't sound like you're bagging them - just sharing your experience which is great! I must say, the site costs is one thing we're really anxious about finding out. Had PD physically inspected your block before the initial quote?

On a side note, we visited World of Style today which is just a whole new experience. I can easily see how people can go over budget. The staff there today were incredible and very helpful - they were very open about providing prices when asked etc.
Nicksta - Nothing wrong with giving honest feedback. I liked Porter Davis house designs, but when I looked into the numbers and what they charging I felt I could get better value for my money else where.
Hi Shannykins173,

The first soil test was January the second was two weeks before contract ..... I they knew maybe BC should have been more on the ball.
Shannykins173
Hi All,

We have just started the process with Porter Davis to build the Bermuda 23 with Games, Rumpus and Grand Alfresco Option. Being First Home Buyers/Builders we have a strict budget and have decided to put the majority of our money towards structural changes. We're happy to upgrade carpets etc down the track.

Is anyone able to assist in telling me what tiles, bricks, floorboards (and anything else) are in the Category 1 options so we can do a bit of research prior to our World of Style appointment?

I've just read through the WoS Preparation Guide and am SO overwhelmed with the amount of decisions that need to made!

THANKS!!

Off topic of WOS - but can I ask how much upgrading to the games, rumpus and grand alfresco? I am looking at adding this to the Bermuda as well.
goldencrumble
Shannykins173
Hi All,

THANKS!!

Off topic of WOS - but can I ask how much upgrading to the games, rumpus and grand alfresco? I am looking at adding this to the Bermuda as well.

Hi GoldenCrumb,

We are really happy with the Bermuda design once we added on the Games, Rumpus and Grand Alfresco - this addition extends the kitchen as well and it came in just under $15,000 for the upgrade which we thought was very reasonable considering the extra space!
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum