Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Bulkhead in Bathroom! Surprise! Not happy

Page 1 of 1
We are building our first home and have just had plasterers start and have noticed that our main bathroom and 3rd bedroom have a bulkhead through them due to a large beam that has enabled the eave to be used as extra space, it is only in these 2 rooms and the rest of the house has an eave as normal.
The bulkhead is going to come out just over half the width of the shower and is only 300mm above the shower head outlet, basically it looks bloody terrible and when I initially questioned the builder about having no eave on the plan I was told that it would not effect the house at all, I agreed to it only because it was on the southern side and for 6.5m long. To find this is now what we are left with is very disappointing and I can not find anything on the plans to show that it was going to be there apart from it showing a line with 'beam over' written on it. Is this normal building practice, ceiling height is 2.4m throughout but now 2.1m under the bulkheads.
Bottom line is it looks like crap and sticks out like nothing else especially over half the shower, has anyone else had one of these surprises? Thoughts?

Can't see pictures.
We ran into this when we were considering metricon. We wanted to extend bedrooms which they were happy to do, we later found out that they would only do it into the eaves and the bedrooms would have a bulkhead! There was no way we were going to live with that, they wouldn't budge, so we moved on to other builders.

Ideally, they should have cantilevered the roof trusses and created an upstand on the rest of the house. This would of allowed a flat ceiling through the entire home and would have avoided the beam across. It would have been minimal (not much if anything at all extra). Here is an example whereby its an under eave extension I did for a client, but to avoid the bulkhead and beaem I designed it as the upstand and cantilevered truss. even if they didnt decided to do the upstand, they could of catalivered the truss and raked the ceiling this would of been slightly better then a bulkhead as it wouldnt of been that lump that the bkhead creates.

If you can post a photo of your plan, and a photo of the head
I am currently in the drawing up plans stage after buying our land.
I asked about going out to the eaves to make the garage wider and was told by our sales to avoid it because you'd need a bulkhead along that entire side of the house.
I'm sorry that you weren't given the same advice.
I can't see the pictures but can imagine and can understand your disappointment, not sure much can be done at this stage but I don't know a lot about it so I'm hoping it's not too late for you

arcadelt
Can't see pictures.

Hmm I can see them so not sure how to fix it??
I can't see the pics either. Having said that, homeone has been very glitchy of late!
here is 2nd try at photos!

still nothing!
Hope it works for you eventually.
JayaJaya
still nothing!
Hope it works for you eventually.

Hahahah me to, I can no longer see them in my first post or second post.but if I click on edit they show up!!

Can see the photos now...and wow I would not be happy with that at all.
Hmmm it's not great if you weren't informed beforehand

The bulkhead in the bedroom will be lovely with a bed head underneath, but I would not be happy with it in the bathroom at all. Will they be able to fix it for you?

- B

A vue of the pines on the Gold Coast
forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=87210
Related
4/08/2023
Excavation Cost Surprise

Building A New House

No one can give you a meaningful answer without looking at your building contract, what happened on site and who designed your house You should get experienced building…

22/05/2023
Urgent!!! Bathroom walls

General Discussion

Render your bathroom walls, two opinions versus the one, makes you wonder.

30/05/2023
Bathroom Puddle flange

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi Geoff Install Puddle Flange prior to any screed. Puddle flange needs to be flush with the surface so you may need to grind away the surface to achieve this. Also as…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum