Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Katrina's 2nd home build - Gympie

Page 6 of 15
Judging by the conditions at my work today, don't think they'll be doing much bricking, lol.

Wow I just saw that the rains had hit up there. We have had such a yucky sticky day. If we get the predicted 300mm I don't think we will see much happening either

Yeah we copped it pretty bad. Lightening was amazing though. They got a fair bit of bricking done though before it hit. No photos tonight, it was too miserable when i got home. The brickie rang me this arv though and asked me to check that none of the mortar got washed down the bricks, cause if it had he would come out tomorrow to acid wash it off and repair the mortar. It was all fine anyway, but nice to know that he takes so much pride in his work.

That is a rarity to find someone who takes pride in their work

I feel your pain! Looks like our pad is delayed - no rain for months and then this
How are you fairing up there? We hit the highest rainfall total for all of Brisbane.

Hey. Yeah, it's been raining pretty steady all day. Our 10000l tank that we're living off has been running out of the overflow all over the ground all day. We have had no power since 3 this arv, which means no pump, which means no running water. Luckily we thought to put a big container under one of the gutters on the house to catch water for drinking, cooking and toilet flushing. Heading to the inlaws tonight for showers. We're pretty set up to run off grid with our van anyway, so have gas and 12v for cooking and lighting. They are predicting up to 500ml
tomorrow.

KatrinaH
Hey. Yeah, it's been raining pretty steady all day. Our 10000l tank that we're living off has been running out of the overflow all over the ground all day. We have had no power since 3 this arv, which means no pump, which means no running water. Luckily we thought to put a big container under one of the gutters on the house to catch water for drinking, cooking and toilet flushing. Heading to the inlaws tonight for showers. We're pretty set up to run off grid with our van anyway, so have gas and 12v for cooking and lighting. They are predicting up to 500ml
tomorrow.

Ekk its the most rain I have seen in a long time. All because we are buulding I'm sure lol

Nothing exciting to report with this crappy weather still hanging around. The bricks are still on hold, but the electrician was here today starting his rough in, so we met with him this arv to go through lights and power points. Really happy with everything, hopefully we've come in under our allowance, he seems to think it will be fine. He's not adding our bathroom pendant lights to the plan, he said if we supply them he chuck them in as a freebie. We already knew he was going to be really lovely, by chance his dad was the electrical contractor we got to put in our power pole and run the power up to the shed and wire all the shed up for us, and he is an absolutely top bloke. He even dug some fence post holes for us while he was here with his auger for the power pole.

Electrical rough in got finished yesterday. Brickies finally managed to get back today and continue on after nearly a whole week of rain. Apparently our site is one of the least muddy, so easiest to work on at the moment, yay for shaley soil, lol. Have little faith left in a pre Christmas handover now, more rain coming tomorrow. The bricks look very brown in the afternoon sun, but they're eclipse, and as black as the ace of spades.

KatrinaH
Electrical rough in got finished yesterday. Brickies finally managed to get back today and continue on after nearly a whole week of rain. Apparently our site is one of the least muddy, so easiest to work on at the moment, yay for shaley soil, lol. Have little faith left in a pre Christmas handover now, more rain coming tomorrow. The bricks look very brown in the afternoon sun, but they're eclipse, and as black as the ace of spades.

Why do you think you won't be in before christmas?

H Family
KatrinaH

Cause there's really only 8 weeks left before the builder knocks off for Christmas. We are at nearly 7 weeks in now, and the outside is supposed to be the fast part, still sooooo much to go on the inside, and that part just drags on. We were borderline with our start date, so with all the adverse weather, well, let's just say I'm not going to hold my breath.

KatrinaH
H Family
KatrinaH

Cause there's really only 8 weeks left before the builder knocks off for Christmas. We are at nearly 7 weeks in now, and the outside is supposed to be the fast part, still sooooo much to go on the inside, and that part just drags on. We were borderline with our start date, so with all the adverse weather, well, let's just say I'm not going to hold my breath.

Bloody hell I was praying we would all be in by xmas. We haven't got bricks yet but fully plastered inside.

H Family
KatrinaH
H Family
[quote="KatrinaH"]Electrical rough in got finished yesterday. Brickies finally managed to get back today and continue on after nearly a whole week of rain. Apparently our site is one of the least muddy, so easiest to work on at the moment, yay for shaley soil, lol. Have little faith left in a pre Christmas handover now, more rain coming tomorrow. The bricks look very brown in the afternoon sun, but they're eclipse, and as black as the ace of spades.

Bloody hell I was praying we would all be in by xmas. We haven't got bricks yet but fully plastered inside.

[/quote]Holy heck, I'm glad we don't have gyprock yet, we haven't finished the insulation yet. And hubby has a workplace injury now and will be out of action for atleast a week or so, so busy weekend for me trying to finish it off myself, lol.

KatrinaH
H Family
KatrinaH
[quote="H Family"][quote="KatrinaH"]Electrical rough in got finished yesterday. Brickies finally managed to get back today and continue on after nearly a whole week of rain. Apparently our site is one of the least muddy, so easiest to work on at the moment, yay for shaley soil, lol. Have little faith left in a pre Christmas handover now, more rain coming tomorrow. The bricks look very brown in the afternoon sun, but they're eclipse, and as black as the ace of spades.

[/quote]Holy heck, I'm glad we don't have gyprock yet, we haven't finished the insulation yet. And hubby has a workplace injury now and will be out of action for atleast a week or so, so busy weekend for me trying to finish it off myself, lol.

[/quote]I was very surprised when Hubby rang and said it was plastered. Apparently they have cancelled the rain for the weekend in Brissie so I hope I misses you too.

H Family
KatrinaH
H Family
[quote="KatrinaH"][quote="H Family"][quote="KatrinaH"]Electrical rough in got finished yesterday. Brickies finally managed to get back today and continue on after nearly a whole week of rain. Apparently our site is one of the least muddy, so easiest to work on at the moment, yay for shaley soil, lol. Have little faith left in a pre Christmas handover now, more rain coming tomorrow. The bricks look very brown in the afternoon sun, but they're eclipse, and as black as the ace of spades.

[/quote]I was very surprised when Hubby rang and said it was plastered. Apparently they have cancelled the rain for the weekend in Brissie so I hope I misses you too.

[/quote]Oh, i hadn't heard that, been flat out at work. That would be awesome if it stays clear here. I need to get some washing done, and my laundry is kinda "open air", lol.

Well the weather has been unkind to us again today. I'm so over it. Kinda ironic that when we bought this block, everyone we told kept saying oh, it's really dry out there, doesn't get much rain. Yeah cow manure, feels like all it's done is rain since we got here. On a positive note, we didn't lose power in today's storm. But we did have the electrician wire a provision for a generator into the power box. So I suppose that's a positive outcome of living out here during the build, had we not been here and had 2 blackouts in 6 weeks, we'd never have thought to do that.

KatrinaH
Well the weather has been unkind to us again today. I'm so over it. Kinda ironic that when we bought this block, everyone we told kept saying oh, it's really dry out there, doesn't get much rain. Yeah cow manure, feels like all it's done is rain since we got here. On a positive note, we didn't lose power in today's storm. But we did have the electrician wire a provision for a generator into the power box. So I suppose that's a positive outcome of living out here during the build, had we not been here and had 2 blackouts in 6 weeks, we'd never have thought to do that.

Well I was so wrong about the weather. No storm just a whole day of rain. Glad you were able to find a solution to the power outages. Praying for better weather for both of us

H Family
KatrinaH

Well I was so wrong about the weather. No storm just a whole day of rain. Glad you were able to find a solution to the power outages. Praying for better weather for both of us

Me too H. I'm not a religious person, but willing to try anything at this point. Hubby hurt his back at work on Thursday, so I got up at 5 this morning cause i had to finish off the insulation. Did about half the house that he didn't have done yet, and only took me about 5 hours. I'm so proud of me. Oh, and I had calculated 13 bags, but thought I'll buy 14 just incase my maths was out, took 2 pieces out of the 13th bag, 14th was not required after all, super proud of that too, lol. So glad it's all done now, and looking forward to gyprock starting. Not sure when that is, our updates tend to be about what has been done (like der, we can see that) and never anything about what is coming up. Pretty useless really.

KatrinaH
H Family
KatrinaH

Me too H. I'm not a religious person, but willing to try anything at this point. Hubby hurt his back at work on Thursday, so I got up at 5 this morning cause i had to finish off the insulation. Did about half the house that he didn't have done yet, and only took me about 5 hours. I'm so proud of me. Oh, and I had calculated 13 bags, but thought I'll buy 14 just incase my maths was out, took 2 pieces out of the 13th bag, 14th was not required after all, super proud of that too, lol. So glad it's all done now, and looking forward to gyprock starting. Not sure when that is, our updates tend to be about what has been done (like der, we can see that) and never anything about what is coming up. Pretty useless really.

Well surely you are plastering next, we are a step in front and behind, as our bricks haven't started but we are fully plastered. We did well with the insulation too, had enough to place some in rooms we wouldn't have done.

Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

4/04/2024
New Home Build - Boundary Retaining Wall replacement advice

Building A New House

Can anyone recommend a good/affordable retaining wall and fence builder that I can get a quote from located in Sydney?

20/02/2024
Conveyancing & property inspectors for new home build?

Building A New House

If you are in Victoria you have a statutory right to your own building inspector regardless of builder's consent. No negotiations are required. However the builder will…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum