Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Metricon - Savannah 40 - Adelaide Athelstone

Page 3 of 5
I hope you don't mind if I join in.

Melobius, we are building next door at Beaumont. Our site classification was "P"(poor?) with soil classified as H2-D. I think its quite common in the area. Our lot had a fall of about 3 meters from front to back so we had to cut and fill the site to build a double storey. We had an olive grove to begin with. Clearing the trees and stumps fell as our responsibility.

Metricon quoted our site costs at 28K.

If you haven't done any tiling, joinery, electrical selections, you may very well exceed 100K. We certainly did by a fair bit and had many arguments (I mean... negotiations...) with the missus regarding what items to sacrifice.

Hope that helps.
dunkintoo
I hope you don't mind if I join in.

Melobius, we are building next door at Beaumont. Our site classification was "P"(poor?) with soil classified as H2-D. I think its quite common in the area. Our lot had a fall of about 3 meters from front to back so we had to cut and fill the site to build a double storey. We had an olive grove to begin with. Clearing the trees and stumps fell as our responsibility.

Metricon quoted our site costs at 28K.

If you haven't done any tiling, joinery, electrical selections, you may very well exceed 100K. We certainly did by a fair bit and had many arguments (I mean... negotiations...) with the missus regarding what items to sacrifice.

Hope that helps.

I’m sure it will be about that much hehe
I’m just in denial right now!!

Damn our area being cursed with problem soil! Haha

My husband is currently getting yelled at I’m mean talked to bout what I ... I mean we want.

How is your build going? Do you have a thread?

Our build is going along pretty quickly now. We are doing a Franklin 53.

We had a few hang-ups / issues / delays with M on the pre-site phase, however, construction-wise no complaints. We live close enough to visit the lot daily and can definitely see progress on a day to day basis. I gather the slab and framing goes up pretty quickly anyway.
Hey guys, I might join in on the conversation too if you guys don’t mind.
First of all dunkintoo, I think “p” means problematic by memory off my soil test but don’t quote me on that, it was a long time since I looked.
melobious Our site costs were 31k and we are in Fulham, with no slope and on memory got told we have the best soil you can get. So I don’t get it when you’re in a very active soil. But is what it is.
Also as dunkintoo said, selections will kill you as we thought we were so on top of things waiting 5 years for our adventure to start and still blew 1000’s of dollars. Anyways good luck with everything. Admin = ok but annoying and long. At site, love it

Metricon Franklin 53 modified
stoff17
First of all dunkintoo, I think “p” means problematic by memory off my soil test but don’t quote me on that, it was a long time since I looked.
melobious Our site costs were 31k and we are in Fulham, with no slope and on memory got told we have the best soil you can get. So I don’t get it when you’re in a very active soil. But is what it is.
Also as dunkintoo said, selections will kill you as we thought we were so on top of things waiting 5 years for our adventure to start and still blew 1000’s of dollars. Anyways good luck with everything. Admin = ok but annoying and long. At site, love it

Yeah I’m pretty sure we will be shocked when it gets to that point but I’m secretly hoping!! Haha. Will let you all know when we get to there!! Haha the waiting is slowly killing me but since we aren’t ready to build till next year I won’t rush things!

Fulham... isn’t that near the beach? or are you at Fullarton? We are near to the foothills so that may have something to do with it!

I will go check out your thread!! Hehe I love following people’s journeys and seeing the end result!

melobious
stoff17

Yeah I’m pretty sure we will be shocked when it gets to that point but I’m secretly hoping!! Haha. Will let you all know when we get to there!! Haha the waiting is slowly killing me but since we aren’t ready to build till next year I won’t rush things!

Fulham... isn’t that near the beach? or are you at Fullarton? We are near to the foothills so that may have something to do with it!

I will go check out your thread!! Hehe I love following people’s journeys and seeing the end result!

Our journey was real long and expect admin side to take along time. We took 12 months to get to site. So maybe start a little earlier as it drags and drags. It will be all worth it in the end.
Yes we are in Fulham and it is very close to the beach. Pretty much end of Henley beach road.

Hi everyone, melobious , stoff17 , dunkintoo !
The more the merrier =

I believe that "p" class sites are problem sites. Ours was "p" class due to the removal of many trees and it is a knock down rebuild site. Our soil was class "E-D" extremely reactive.

We first did selections just before xmas and only finished them a month ago. Our pre-site manager Adrian has been amazing. No task is too little or too big for him. No question left unanswered.

We never knew what we were going to spend on upgrades. We knew what we wanted and we knew there was going to be quite a cost associated with that. I picked the most expensive upgrades and worked backwards from there. Tried to find value in lots of things I would like completed before handover rather than having to run around after handover.

We have just received loan approval, waiting on abolishment of services and demo that is booked in on the 30th of August.
M want to be on site by the 14th of September. Cannot wait to get started.
Yay!!! It’s all happening! Can’t wait to see the progress

Hahaha. Well that’s great news and when you say Adrian, are you talking about Adrian Newlands? He was our pre site manager too. He was great and helped at any moment. Great bloke. Very thorough

Exciting times.
Congratulations!

Look forward to reading about your build progress.
Demo done???? Was thinking bout you yesterday!!

Demo time. Fence up a week early and then day 1 completed today.

Some updates:

Demo 17.09.18

Demo 17.09.18

Finishing off Demo 18.09.18

Demo Complete 19.09.18

Demo Complete 19.09.18

Start of Pre Wetting of site (5 days) 19.09.18

Metricon on Site 25.09.18
8 Trucks of Clean Fill Delivered

Site Benching

Site Benching

Started Trenching (3 days) 1300mm Deep Footings. 150m3 of soil removed. 15 Trucks to remove it.

Trenching (3 days) 1300mm Deep Footings. 150m3 of soil removed. 15 Trucks to remove it.

Trenching (3 days) 1300mm Deep Footings. 150m3 of soil removed. 15 Trucks to remove it.

Steel and Plumbing

Steel and Plumbing

Vapour Barrier

Steel Complete 6.10.18

First Pour
10 Concrete Trucks to pour footings. 150m3 of concrete. 8.10.18

First Pour
10 Concrete Trucks to pour footings. 150m3 of concrete. 8.10.18
Great progress!
Any update?

Wow so much progress so quickly! How exciting woohoo!!!!
Looking good
Nice to see things moving along! =)
Going along nicely. Looking great

Wow

Related
24/12/2023
Garage builder, Adelaide

General Discussion

Building a new home, and looking for a garage builder (home builder not contracted to do this). Someone to build steel garage (double), colorbond, including supply and…

13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum