Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Your Connected Home. What have you done / what do you need?

Page 5 of 7
Hello guys, I am building a house with PD. I am starting from scratch. I have nothing invested except a 5.1 Sony DVD player and speaker system but I am planning to go 7.1. My tender is coming and I have to get my bearings right on a future-proof electrical plan with everything in. Lights, GPO, intercom, security, network etc - the whole works. I have been following your enlightening discussions and thank you very much for sharing. I would be super happy if you can take a look at my floor plan offline and give me a holistic concept?
sinbox
Currently, HTPC, Apple TV, Blu-Ray player, plus a couple of other Media Players. I'll also be adding a HdBaset Matrix for distribution, NVR for security cameras, Xbox OneS/4K Blu Ray player, a media NAS and some other HDMI components when I move in to the new house...

The way Sonos works is by having your TV do the heavy lifting, so to provide audio output your TV would need sufficient inputs for every device that you want sound for and a single optical output to the Playbar. Your system seems way too complicate for Sonos (not that was what you were planning anyway) especially since you need a HDMI switch on top of the AVR.

I used to have a complex system too but just controlling it was a chore, especially for my wife, so I went about simplifying it. Now we just use the one remote from the Apple TV and that just about does everything. On the occasions that I haven't had a chance to rip a blu-ray, we need to break out the remote for the BR player - but that is rare these days.
Hurrow
At the moment apart from one Play:1 speaker I have absolutely zero components. What I will be looking to do with the home theater system is have a TV, DVD player, music streaming, probably Pay TV and maybe Xbox or PS4 ideally all running through the surround sound system. Is it possible to do this with Sonos or would I need something different.

So Hurrow, as I mentioned in my reply to sinbox, you'll need to put the right TV at the core of your system and plug the DVD, games console and pay TV STB into it directly, and then output the TV sound to the Playbar via the TV's optical output. The Sonos handles music streaming, so that will cover you.
arcadelt
Hurrow
At the moment apart from one Play:1 speaker I have absolutely zero components. What I will be looking to do with the home theater system is have a TV, DVD player, music streaming, probably Pay TV and maybe Xbox or PS4 ideally all running through the surround sound system. Is it possible to do this with Sonos or would I need something different.

So Hurrow, as I mentioned in my reply to sinbox, you'll need to put the right TV at the core of your system and plug the DVD, games console and pay TV STB into it directly, and then output the TV sound to the Playbar via the TV's optical output. The Sonos handles music streaming, so that will cover you.

Thanks for the explanation, by the sounds of things so long as I have enough HDMI inputs on the TV I should be fine.
Hurrow
Thanks for the explanation, by the sounds of things so long as I have enough HDMI inputs on the TV I should be fine.

Yes, and one that can pass Dolby Digital 5.1 through your digital optical port, even if the input is DTS from your BR player. Otherwise, you will only get simulated surround sound rather than encoded surround sound. You should talk to both your Sonos and TV supplier about this. If they are clueless, you might want to seek out better advice.
Obi.Wan
Hello guys, I am building a house with PD. I am starting from scratch. I have nothing invested except a 5.1 Sony DVD player and speaker system but I am planning to go 7.1. My tender is coming and I have to get my bearings right on a future-proof electrical plan with everything in. Lights, GPO, intercom, security, network etc - the whole works. I have been following your enlightening discussions and thank you very much for sharing. I would be super happy if you can take a look at my floor plan offline and give me a holistic concept?

My experience with PD at WoS was that they didn't really know a whole lot about getting a full on system in place. I was told that the maximum number of data points that they could put in was four, that may have been due to me being in a Opticom estate although I can't really see how that would make any difference. They also only offer 5.1 speaker pre wiring I believe, although they may offer 7.1 if you get them to install the actual system as well, I'm not sure.

In terms of the rest of the electrical plan we just put at least two power points in every room and more than that in most rooms, particularly places like the theatre room, kitchen, rumpus room etc. Also make sure you get an external power point if you have an al fresco or potentially even if you don't.

I didn't go with an intercom or security system, I am probably going to be relying on putting in a wireless Arlo Pro system after the house is completed for that. I don't plan on running a complex network either, it will probably just be a regular router somewhere in the middle o the house.

Sinbox is building with PD and may have had a different experience and almost certainly has some better ideas than I do, likewise many of the other commenters on this thread have much more knowledge about creating a connected home so hopefully they can come up with some good ideas for you!

If you've got an electrical plan you want to put up I'm sure someone will be able to make some suggestions.
It might be that Argus Technologies, the electrical supplier at PD might be a jack of all trades and master of none. Independent suppliers in the market on lighting, home entertainment, home automation, home security and home networking seem to offer a much wider and deeper level of expertise and service. I can only imagine the potential that exists with this first mover advantage that Argus enjoys of getting into a home with this potent combination of home offerings. If its really played right, its a lucrative business strategy. But for now, mummies and daddies only have each other to share and support and to find the way forward in deciding the electrical requirements of their new homes. In that light, the forum here and the mates here are awesome. Thank-you for your tips Hurrow.
Happy to look at your plans and make suggestions, but it largely depends on your needs & how much you are willing to spend. PM Me if you have any questions...

A few pointers:

- As Hurrow mentoined, some of the electrical designers are clueless, so you will have to ask for someone better informed, or ask them for a custom quote from the Argus office.

- They can pre-wire as many speaker & data points as you need. Just make sure you have them mark the points on your plan, and think about where you want to terminate them. I have decided to use my under stairs area for storing my AV equipment.

- Mark the areas you need network points inside the house. Definitely worth getting it done by them if you are building a double storey, as it will be costly to retrofit later. (Actually you don't have a choice!) . While considering network points, also think about network camera locations or, if you are happy to go wireless later

- they offer some standard packages for home security. If you are happy with them, go for it, otherwise ask them for other options via a custom quote

Hello Sinbox, thank-you very much for your kind offer. I have their complete set of product brochures and price lists. The challenge is however deciding what you need for each of the home needs and also future-proofing it. Maybe I will PM you soon.
sinbox
Happy to look at your plans and make suggestions, but it largely depends on your needs & how much you are willing to spend. PM Me if you have any questions...

A few pointers:

- As Hurrow mentoined, some of the electrical designers are clueless, so you will have to ask for someone better informed, or ask them for a custom quote from the Argus office.

- They can pre-wire as many speaker & data points as you need. Just make sure you have them mark the points on your plan, and think about where you want to terminate them. I have decided to use my under stairs area for storing my AV equipment.

- Mark the areas you need network points inside the house. Definitely worth getting it done by them if you are building a double storey, as it will be costly to retrofit later. (Actually you don't have a choice!) . While considering network points, also think about network camera locations or, if you are happy to go wireless later

- they offer some standard packages for home security. If you are happy with them, go for it, otherwise ask them for other options via a custom quote

It's interesting that we got different answers on the data points, I would have liked to have a few more for various rooms but was definitely told that this wasn't an option. It wasn't a big deal as I figured WiFi will probably do for most stuff and I'm confident that I have enough, one or two more might have been handy down the track though.
I'm also planing on under the stairs for my networking modem, switch etc. Makes sense for the app to go there too then.

What is everyone doing for Intercom?

Intercom: yelling to my wife down the corridor!
My wife just sends me Facebook messages. Gen Y...
I was asked to post here by "Sinbox" about my current home and future home plans, because I'm currently renting, I'm limited to what I can and can't do, so here is are my lists of smarthome devices.

Current Products

On Order

So with all of my current products, they are all using wifi, where as my fure products will be using a mix of Wired, Wireless 2.4 Ghz / 5 Ghz and Z-Wave.

Depending on your wireless router / access point, you may start running into problems when you have over 32 devices per wireless radio, and most 802.11 IoT devices only use the 2.4 Ghz range, so if your not planning on installing a proper wireless solution then you may wanna look at the Netgear Orbi solution, as it can support 250 devices per radio. http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/orbi/

For people looking at installing a proper wireless solution into their house, then I highly recommend a Ubiquiti Networks Unifi solution. https://unifi-hd.ubnt.com/

If you gone this route, then you can create multiple VLANs and Wireless SSID's, which will allow you to seperate all your IoT gear onto they're own wireless networks restricting traffic from your normal network preventing any future IoT hack which might own any of your smart home devices and gaining access to your network

Future House Build

In regards to multi-room audio, I'd stay away from Sonos and look more at the Yamaha MusicCast or Denon Heos range of products, as they support a wider range of streaming sources and devices, vs the closed system like Sonos, don't get me wrong Sonos make a great product and is easy to use, I just prefer a more open solution and as such decided to go with the Yamaha range of devices.

I already have a Yamaha RX-A3060 and a Yamaha SRT-1500 along with Samsung Smart TV's which allow me to run the Plex Client which connects to my NAS running the Plex Server, streaming all my media over my home network and to my mobile devices when I'm out and about, depending on your Internet connections uplink speed.

I also have a HDHomeRun Connect, which allows me to record to live TV to my NAS and stream to all my mobile devices, there is also an addon for my Plex server which allows me to stream live TV remotely, obviously this is null and void now that there is the Freeview FV app for Android and IOS, but all depends on your requirements i guess.

As for security camera's I'd stay away from Duhua, HikVision or Foscam or in that fact any other cheap chinese branded cameras. http://thehackernews.com/2017/06/online-ip-camera-hacking.html

If you can afford more expensive cameras, then look at Axis, Vivotek or GeoVision, also when looking at cameras, make sure they support the h265 codec vs the older h264 codec, as well as the resolution and frame rate. Cheaper camera's may support 720p or 1080p, but you'll notice that the frame rate drops down to like 12fps.

So my requirements for cameras where to be 1080p with atleast 30fps if not 60fps using the h265 codec.

For NAS's I would only recommend two brands:

Both of these NAS vendors have surviellance software solutions for recording and storing your camera footage, as well as mobile clients for accessing the cameras remotly.

For anyone looking at future proofing their core network infrastruce Ubiquiti is planning on release a new range of products supporting 10G, which will fit perfectly for anyone with FTTP NBN.

Ubiquiti reveal new products, bring 10G and high density client support to their products
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/778152-ubiquiti-reveal-new-products-bring-10g-and-high-density-client-support-to-their-products/

Another nice product

Aumi Mini - A smart notification light & nightlight
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aumi/aumi-mini-a-smart-notification-light-and-nightligh?r
@JoBro:

1. You clearly have a lot of money and time on your hands. I couldn't even imagine installing all that stuff let alone doing the research to get there.

2. What is a "proper" wireless solution?

3. What is closed about the Sonos ecosystem?

4. Who are you? Do you work in this field or something?
arcadelt
@JoBro:

1. You clearly have a lot of money and time on your hands. I couldn't even imagine installing all that stuff let alone doing the research to get there.

2. What is a "proper" wireless solution?

3. What is closed about the Sonos ecosystem?

4. Who are you? Do you work in this field or something?

A proper wireless solution, is a system with many access points managed by a central control unit, such as the Unifi solution from Ubiquity Networks.

Sonos is a great system and is slowly getting better in its ability support services that other brands have supported from the get go, such as Spotify native support vs having to have it streamed via the app on your device, rather than simply using the Spotify app to simple act as a remote.

If your doing proper Av, your going to want to have a proper AV amp such as the ones from Yamaha or denon which sonos don't currently have, if your only after simple single speakers or a sound bar, then yeah sonos are great, but I'd still only recommend them for simple unit installs.

As for who I am, I'm just someone with a keen interest in this area, who's been working in I.T. for over 15 years, and looking at specializing in home automation and security.

GLO
I'm also pla. Ing on under the stairs for my networking modem, switch etc. Makes sense for the app to go there too then.

Check out the Nucleus Life, or the Amazon Echo Show.

The Nucleus Life has been around for a while and was developed with the assistance of Amazon, although Amazon has gone on to create the Echo Show.

The reason I like the Nucleus Life is that it can be wall mounted and powered via PoE from the network switch, where as the Echo Show is a free standing unit, which needs to be placed on a flat surface and be powered from a power point.

Both currently require to be grey imported from America, and the Echo Show is due to be released for purchase in the next month or so, hopefully when Amazon officially open here in Australia at the end of the year, these products will be available for local purchase.

Thanks for posting your list here JoBro and welcome to the forum!

This thread serves to provide ideas for future & current home builders. Not everyone needs to install everything, but there are so many things out there...like the Roost 9v Battery which effectively converts your dumb smoke alarm to a smart one!

JoBro
GLO

Check out the Nucleus Life, or the Amazon Echo Show.

Would you be able to use 1 echo show along with multiple dots as an intercom system?
Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

14/03/2024
Contract Works Insurance - Why your builder should have it

Building A New House

Hi All, I just wanted to close this topic out with an update. So we ended up agreeing to a number with the insurance company, and after an extensive amount of hand…

7/01/2024
What have been your experiences with building inspections?

Building A New House

You have mandatory building inspections and privately engaged building inspections. The difference between the two comes down to inspecting the building so it's safe and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum