Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

M & C's First Build with HGWA - Eglinton

Page 1 of 9
Hi everyone, so after months of getting ideas and tips from this forum I thought I would make my own thread.
My partner and I currently have a block on hold in Eglinton, pending finance approval and the plans with HGWA.

We have a meeting on the weekend with HGWA for our modified plans. We have decided to go with the Amalfi and will be modifying it to better suit our needs. The block we are holding is 375sqm. I will post pictures once we have decided.

We are still in early stages so any help at all from everyone would be much appreciated. I have enjoyed following everyone else's builds and hope others will enjoy ours too!

Welcome to H1, look forward to seeing your plans! ?
mrsdoe
Welcome to H1, look forward to seeing your plans!

Thanks! Following your build! Love your plan!

We have had so much help from this forum! Especially in those early stages!

HGWA have been beyond great for us!
Good luck! Can't wait to see all your progress!

Jess_89
We have had so much help from this forum! Especially in those early stages!

HGWA have been beyond great for us!
Good luck! Can't wait to see all your progress!

Thanks Jess!

Got our pre approval today so we can move forward with officially getting our land!

m0llss
Got our pre approval today so we can move forward with officially getting our land!

Congratulations!!

Great news! How'd you end up going at your meeting with HGWA the other weekend, have you sorted out your plans? 😊
Congratulations. I am waiting for my pre approval, the Commonwealth Bank are taking 2 weeks at the moment. My finance was submitted on Thursday. I'm building with Redink in Madora Bay. Look forward to following your build!
mrsdoe
Great news! How'd you end up going at your meeting with HGWA the other weekend, have you sorted out your plans?

It went well! We have a few more changes we want to make so just waiting to get our final ones back. We were pleasantly surprised about how low the costs to make the changes we wanted were.
This weekend we also put a deposit down on our land too. It's all happening now!

Madora Dreamer
Congratulations. I am waiting for my pre approval, the Commonwealth Bank are taking 2 weeks at the moment. My finance was submitted on Thursday. I'm building with Redink in Madora Bay. Look forward to following your build!

It feels like forever waiting for the pre approval doesn't it! Do you have a build I can follow too?

Not sure how to share my link. It's called New build SOR in Perth with Redink...I think!
m0llss
mrsdoe
Great news! How'd you end up going at your meeting with HGWA the other weekend, have you sorted out your plans?

It went well! We have a few more changes we want to make so just waiting to get our final ones back. We were pleasantly surprised about how low the costs to make the changes we wanted were.
This weekend we also put a deposit down on our land too. It's all happening now!

That's great news, we found the structural changes we made to our house were the cheapest things and all the huge costs came at pre-start haha

Follow our build with Express Two Storey (Ventura Group): http://tinyurl.com/jlykgph
mrsdoe
m0llss
mrsdoe

That's great news, we found the structural changes we made to our house were the cheapest things and all the huge costs came at pre-start haha

Follow our build with Express Two Storey (Ventura Group): http://tinyurl.com/jlykgph

Haha yes I'm excited but also nervous for pre start, terrified I won't be able to shy away from all the pretty things

So we had our contracts meeting today and received our Prestart folder

We also made a few tile selections at Crosby tiles too... just waiting on the final copies on the contracts then it's all go from there!

Here's our plan! We still have a few changes/additions to make at prestart, such adding a laundry benchtop and cabinet, shower recesses, and a few other smaller things.

If anyone has any suggestions to make about the plan or anything we've missed that would be great!

Plan looks really good to me! A few items which you could consider (and possibly already have!)

- side access door from garage. Makes it easy to go from garage to laundry (perhaps a good entry for muddy shoes etc) and also means when landscaping etc you don't need to cart things down the right hand side and across the back and down again. You could also keep your bins down the left then rather than blocking your right side access.

- Theatre doors - where will your tv, couches etc be located? Will the doors get in the way? Could move up or down if needed.

- Recess at bottom of kitchen-depending what you'll use this for, it's a lot of space - could shorten in line with garage/hallway wall and make theatre wider in line with WIR below it (but possibly bring top wall down a bit too as the kitchen island bench is pretty close as it is!)

Really though I quite like your design and given it's a 12.5 block you've still given yourself a heap of backyard without compromising on the house! Well done!

Imightbedave
Plan looks really good to me! A few items which you could consider (and possibly already have!)

- side access door from garage. Makes it easy to go from garage to laundry (perhaps a good entry for muddy shoes etc) and also means when landscaping etc you don't need to cart things down the right hand side and across the back and down again. You could also keep your bins down the left then rather than blocking your right side access.

- Theatre doors - where will your tv, couches etc be located? Will the doors get in the way? Could move up or down if needed.

- Recess at bottom of kitchen-depending what you'll use this for, it's a lot of space - could shorten in line with garage/hallway wall and make theatre wider in line with WIR below it (but possibly bring top wall down a bit too as the kitchen island bench is pretty close as it is!)

Really though I quite like your design and given it's a 12.5 block you've still given yourself a heap of backyard without compromising on the house! Well done!

Thanks for your suggestions, I didn't even think of the side access through the garage!! Will definitely add that to the list.

The theatre doors will mostly remain closed when in use, and otherwise we will have one open. So hopefully it doesn't cause too much of an issue but will double check when buying furniture etc!

The recess at the bottom of the kitchen was actually originally a study area, with a wall and a feature opening. We removed it from the plan as it was a dead space and we plan on using one of the bedrooms for a study. We are planning to put a sliding door in after handover, where that space is, so that bedroom 2 and the bathroom area can be closed off and used as a guest area, as we have family overseas who will come and visit, so it gives them a private area! We did plan to move the kitchen down to centralise it but decided on the sliding door idea, perhaps having some sort of storage there eventually too.

Thanks for the feedback! We pushed the house as far forwards as it would go to give us a decent backyard area. So excited to see it come to life!!

m0llss
Imightbedave

Thanks for your suggestions, I didn't even think of the side access through the garage!! Will definitely add that to the list.

The theatre doors will mostly remain closed when in use, and otherwise we will have one open. So hopefully it doesn't cause too much of an issue but will double check when buying furniture etc!

The recess at the bottom of the kitchen was actually originally a study area, with a wall and a feature opening. We removed it from the plan as it was a dead space and we plan on using one of the bedrooms for a study. We are planning to put a sliding door in after handover, where that space is, so that bedroom 2 and the bathroom area can be closed off and used as a guest area, as we have family overseas who will come and visit, so it gives them a private area! We did plan to move the kitchen down to centralise it but decided on the sliding door idea, perhaps having some sort of storage there eventually too.

Thanks for the feedback! We pushed the house as far forwards as it would go to give us a decent backyard area. So excited to see it come to life!!

Whoops - just realised you meant the other end of the kitchen, haha ! Study brain at the moment.
We are possibly going to build a wine rack area there in the future, and want to leave it like that for storage to be built in as another possibility, as we don't have a large amount of storage areas built into the plan!

Hello, just read the beginnings of your thread.

I like the idea of having a sliding door so you sort of have a guest wing!

Related
12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

28/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Looks promising! Hope the weather holds for you.

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum