Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Regional FHOG VIC

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

As most of you probably know, the Government is bringing in a 20K First Home Owners Grant for those building in rural/regional areas and I believe reducing stamp duty costs as well.

We are building in Drouin Victoria with a title date of September and build start date in November.

We have signed the house and build contracts, literally just waiting for land to title.

We also haven't received or used our 10K FHOG and we don't have our mortgage or are making payments on the land or anything like that. We've put down our 10% deposit for the land and have paid Simonds the usual $1500 fees to get paperwork started.

My question is, because we haven't used/received the FHOG yet and we're still ages off titles and a build start which begins after the 1st of July set date. Are we eligible for it?

I asked our mortgage broker and he wasn't much help apart from telling us to cancel our contract with Simonds and resign. And saying if we don't do that we can't get it.

I've also emailed Simonds and asked about this, waiting on a reply. But just wanted to see if I could get anyone else's opinion on this topic, because I'm guessing someone will know a lot more than I do haha.

Thanks in advance!

Building with Perry homes: viewtopic.php?t=84756
Think you might miss out

We're in the same boat, we signed January 2016, for the house and land, as far as I know it goes by when you signed your contracts, if it's before July 1st this year you won't get it, I understand
Simonds may let you cancel and resign, but I'm willing to bet the cost of building will magically rise by 10k after July 1
the base price for our Hudson has gone up 13k since January 2016, so it wouldn't be worth cancelling and resigning anyway in our case. Hope that helps! Keen to see what Simonds say on the matter!
nicolawhitelaw
Think you might miss out

Oh boogers
was worth a try asking. Thanks so much for that! You'd think if you haven't got a loan or spent your 10K FHOG yet you'd still be eligible to get it but oh well!

Halcyon
We're in the same boat, we signed January 2016, for the house and land, as far as I know it goes by when you signed your contracts, if it's before July 1st this year you won't get it, I understand
Simonds may let you cancel and resign, but I'm willing to bet the cost of building will magically rise by 10k after July 1
the base price for our Hudson has gone up 13k since January 2016, so it wouldn't be worth cancelling and resigning anyway in our case. Hope that helps! Keen to see what Simonds say on the matter!

Yeah I agree. I definitely don't want to cancel and re sign it will just cost more money in the long run haha. Just wanted to ask people if they knew or are in a similar boat.

It sucks though! Not that we're relying on the FHOG for our deposit or anything but it still would have been nice haha

I looked into it as well thinking maybe if we didn't apply for fhog until after July we would get the 20k but looks like we miss out
but like halcyon said builders are the ones that will profit from it as they will put their prices up 10k. (At least that's what I'm telling myself to make me feel better haha)
They already advertise their prices with the fhog already deducted anyway.

Cassie.f90
I looked into it as well thinking maybe if we didn't apply for fhog until after July we would get the 20k but looks like we miss out
but like halcyon said builders are the ones that will profit from it as they will put their prices up 10k. (At least that's what I'm telling myself to make me feel better haha)
They already advertise their prices with the fhog already deducted anyway.

Yeah I know, it sucks! I heard on the radio this morning that one of the building companies (can't remember who) is either giving back people their stamp duty they paid on the land already if they build with them. I think it was something like that haha. But its sucks that the builders will use it to bump up prices.

Building the Simonds Palisade in Drouin -

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

www.oursimondspalisade.wordpress.com - BLOG
Oh yeah forgot about the stamp duty.. Oh well! Just saw on Facebook Simonds are offering 20k off, plus the 20k grant.. That woulda been a good deal!

such a lose lose situation haha. If we both waited that long we wouldn't have gotten the blocks we liked or the pricing and the deal
oh well!

So Simonds got back to me and they pretty much said what my mortgage broker said. Here was their email to me.

The information we've been given is that it only applies to build contracts signed after 1st July. So you would need to cancel your contract with us and sign a new one. Other than that you would then be liable for any price increases since you originally signed with us and, even though but build isn't until November, we couldn't guarantee a November site start as you would go to the bottom of the list per se. We've also been advised that the revenue office may not honour the FHOG increase for re-contracting so there's a bit of risk involved. I'm not sure if you'd be eligible or not as it's not my area of expertise but if you'd like more information you can call the State Revenue Office directly on 13 21 61.

So unfortunately we miss out but I would rather miss out then take the risk and delay everything further.

Building the Simonds Palisade in Drouin -

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

www.oursimondspalisade.wordpress.com - BLOG
Thanks for the update. I'm holding off and waiting until 1 July to sign or deposit anything. I don't want to get caught out with the dates.
icat2000
Thanks for the update. I'm holding off and waiting until 1 July to sign or deposit anything. I don't want to get caught out with the dates.

That's okay! Good idea, probably your best bet and then you'll guaranteed to get it ☺

Related
23/02/2024
Building inspector recommendations for Melbourne VIC?

Building A New House

I have posted this before: We hired Darbecca to do every stage inspection, and I strongly recommend them to anyone that asks me. They were amazing. Thorough reports…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum