Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Tile company charging for different tile lay pattern

Page 1 of 1
I am building through a project builder and the tile company they use (who also supplies for a number of different buildings) is telling me they only lay tiles in a square pattern and if i got subway tiles i would have to pay $350 extra for them to lay in brickwall pattern..

Does this seem right? Seems a bit crazy to me? And if that is the case will all the others look weird not 'scattered' but lined up/stacked, if that makes sense?

The main consideration for me would be - is how good is your tiler? - old adage says 'you get what you pay for' and whilst we will try to barter and bargain for the best price, there's every chance it could bite you in the butt later on (- of course the opposite can be true as well with paying over the top and getting crap... think a forever breaking down luxury car perhaps). You could try to sneakily ask to see some previous jobs and see if it measures up. 350$ could be well worth it if they provide quality.

But I guess to answer your question simply, for me it makes sense for the tiler to charge more for a complex lay - i.e. more time consuming and more precision work involved - hopefully they know how to use the correct techniques for it as well! We are doing an even more far-out stairwell pattern for the kitchen splashback and I felt it was reasonable they added a ~100$ variation on the labour.

For me, the basic principle is a great artist's work is worth more than a not so great one. Hope that helps!

And good luck and all the best with your build!
Adding to ruraldoc's reply if you are being charged $350 for what you have described I think you are getting away with it quite lightly.

As previously stated if you want your tiles to be laid in a particular pattern, yes there is a bit of extra cost. Extra cost for labour including tiling and cutting of the tile where required.

Yes you can seek an external provider who might be willing to do it cheaper however being a new home and having experienced it myself where I had two tiles collide and raise overnight without me knowing I'm glad I did my tiles with the builder, because they replaced all the tiles under warranty, rather than have done it via an external provider.

Just remember if you do the tiles via the builder you are covered by their home warranty. Yes you can go to a tile factory outlet and maybe they might charge less for laying the pattern you want but at the end of the day if that tile factory outlet goes out of business in less than 7 years you have no recourse to warranty.

Just a thought and my two cents worth.

Kind Regards,

Bruce
"Building an Eden Brae Waldorf 50 in North Kellyville"
Blog: http://waldorf50.blogspot.com.au
I think it's standard to pay extra to lay tiles in a complex pattern but subway is quite a standard lay! There wouldn't be any extra cuts or time spent organising the tiles unlike say a herringbone pattern. We went with subway and it didn't cost any extra. Maybe ask the tile company directly what the extra cost is for? It's possible the builder are the ones adding the price not the tile company.

Thought subway tiles pattern was very standard, maybe because there so small compared to today's large style tiles, it might take more time.

Yeah i thought of all the layouts subway brick pattern would be standard, when i was looking at going with other project builders there was never any mention of an extra fee for the subway brick pattern... very dissapointed actually..

newwyhouse2233
Yeah i thought of all the layouts subway brick pattern would be standard, when i was looking at going with other project builders there was never any mention of an extra fee for the subway brick pattern... very dissapointed actually..

They don't usually mention it until you get to your colour appointments. Usually forms part of your post contract variations.

Kind Regards,

Bruce
"Building an Eden Brae Waldorf 50 in North Kellyville"
Blog: http://waldorf50.blogspot.com.au
My colour consultant at my colour appointment asked me which way I wanted them layed. I wanted subway and that was it. No cost. I would think it's pretty standard. It's not like it's a herringbone pattern or something.

Actually everyone is quite right. Subway lay should probably be standard lay.

I agree with Cassie's point.

I guess another way to look at it... and whilst I have probably already made my point about paying for what the work is worth etc.
... Maybe that particular tiler doesn't do subway tile as standard... and if that's the case might be a red flag to ask yourself "hmm... why would I be charged for a tile pattern that would otherwise be considered standard??..." ?not enough skill or know-how? ?maybe will only do simple lays for quick and cheap?
I can only imagine this might raise some alarm bells for you to look into further?

also, for our tiler, we weren't gonna be charged extra for subway tile but we did get charged a variation for the 'stairwell lay' we wanted. However... supposedly, we are also under the premium level inclusions for our contract. Could it be that you aren't on a high enough inclusion level? Which would then be a builder's "I can charge for any non-standard extras" technique to charge more from a lower level inclusions package??

Either way, I hope you find a reasonable solution to your predicament! and again all the best with your build!;;)
ruraldoc

I guess another way to look at it... and whilst I have probably already made my point about paying for what the work is worth etc.
... Maybe that particular tiler doesn't do subway tile as standard... and if that's the case might be a red flag to ask yourself "hmm... why would I be charged for a tile pattern that would otherwise be considered standard??..." ?not enough skill or know-how? ?maybe will only do simple lays for quick and cheap?
I can only imagine this might raise some alarm bells for you to look into further?

also, for our tiler, we weren't gonna be charged extra for subway tile but we did get charged a variation for the 'stairwell lay' we wanted. However... supposedly, we are also under the premium level inclusions for our contract. Could it be that you aren't on a high enough inclusion level? Which would then be a builder's "I can charge for any non-standard extras" technique to charge more from a lower level inclusions package??

Either way, I hope you find a reasonable solution to your predicament! and again all the best with your build!;;)

Hey

Yep it did ring alarm bells for me..

Our package is the highest level package and includes polyurethane cabinets in all bathrooms and kitchen, floor to ceiling tiling and many other really great inclusions, this is why it boggles my mind.

The builder doesnt do the tiling it is done through 'tile direct' they do tiling for a whole bunch of builders.

Tile direct also told me that charge extra for laying porcelain tiles... one tile (porcelain) that i want to use as the kitchen splashback they charge $50 sqm just for the laying of the tile!!!! The lady said something about it having a rectified edge...

Anyways i have now decided against the subway even though it was my dream to have them, due to people warning against cleaning issues etc and i kind of dont want any extra variation costs in the bathrooms..

I think i am going to do the same tiles in all wet areas these are what i am thinking, they are ceramic and dont cost any extra to lay...

I will mention to the tile lady about what i have been told by several people and ask her why they are different, i mean specifically the subway pattern its not like it takes any longer to lay, it actually kinda ticks me off that they are trying to get extra money out of us on top of what the builder is already paying them.

newwyhouse2233
ruraldoc

Hey

Yep it did ring alarm bells for me..

Our package is the highest level package and includes polyurethane cabinets in all bathrooms and kitchen, floor to ceiling tiling and many other really great inclusions, this is why it boggles my mind.

The builder doesnt do the tiling it is done through 'tile direct' they do tiling for a whole bunch of builders.

Tile direct also told me that charge extra for laying porcelain tiles... one tile (porcelain) that i want to use as the kitchen splashback they charge $50 sqm just for the laying of the tile!!!! The lady said something about it having a rectified edge...

Anyways i have now decided against the subway even though it was my dream to have them, due to people warning against cleaning issues etc and i kind of dont want any extra variation costs in the bathrooms..

I think i am going to do the same tiles in all wet areas these are what i am thinking, they are ceramic and dont cost any extra to lay...

I will mention to the tile lady about what i have been told by several people and ask her why they are different, i mean specifically the subway pattern its not like it takes any longer to lay, it actually kinda ticks me off that they are trying to get extra money out of us on top of what the builder is already paying them.

It's really silly the little things builders/trades bump their prices up for. Sometimes it's purely just beacause there's a higher demand.

On the up side those tiles are stunning! I absolutely love them.

Building the Simonds Palisade in Gippsland

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
Yes it is crazy the things they charge. I spoke to the lady at the tile place and she said its because the tilers charge more due it being more work so they pass the price on...
My fiance is happy because he didnt want subway to begin with lol

I love the tiles im getting although i was really dissapointed with the standard range so im glad they had these ones!

newwyhouse2233
Yes it is crazy the things they charge. I spoke to the lady at the tile place and she said its because the tilers charge more due it being more work so they pass the price on...

I love the tiles im getting although i was really dissapointed with the standard range so im glad they had these ones!

These are the kinds of decisions you will keep revisiting over and over. Even now, whilst our build is going, I'm still oggling other people's tiling and selections! It's also bad that I watch the house building shows on 9Life.. and again, get tempted to totally change our selections!
Alas, as I've said in a different thread, you kind have to choose from things that might end up being more timeless than current trends. So I do wonder if subway tile may fall out of style soon. Also it sometimes just doesn't suit the tile or the house. The other one is as you've pointed out - will need to compromise with the people you are building with! i.e. dear beloved fiance!
Believe it or not, our five year-old has a better design taste than us! So he's contributed for a few decisions!

So... how soon till you start building!?
Henley are charging me $43 to lay my subway tiles in a herringbone pattern for my kitchen splashback. Was expecting it to come back as more.

ruraldoc
newwyhouse2233

These are the kinds of decisions you will keep revisiting over and over. Even now, whilst our build is going, I'm still oggling other people's tiling and selections! It's also bad that I watch the house building shows on 9Life.. and again, get tempted to totally change our selections!
Alas, as I've said in a different thread, you kind have to choose from things that might end up being more timeless than current trends. So I do wonder if subway tile may fall out of style soon. Also it sometimes just doesn't suit the tile or the house. The other one is as you've pointed out - will need to compromise with the people you are building with! i.e. dear beloved fiance!
Believe it or not, our five year-old has a better design taste than us! So he's contributed for a few decisions!

Hey yep you are soo right and i think what we have chosen will be a bit more versitile with the rest of the house, plus as people have stated in other threads along with the fiance, the grout is a real issue with mold...

You are so right tho i am addicted to selling houses australia and always see new things i like and i have to calm myself down lol

We wont be building for a while, we have a sloping block that is about to be excavated and cut and filled and completley levelled so we have to wait untill that is done before we can even get our final consolodated tender, but our builder has been great and are happy to wait for the land to be ready before we go further they have even given me the name of all their suppliers so i can suss every thing out so that when we are ready we have everything already planned.

What about you?

[quote="cant decide"]Henley are charging me $43 to lay my subway tiles in a herringbone pattern for my kitchen splashback. Was expecting it to come back as more.

[/quote

Wow that is soooo cheap!!! And this tile company wanted to charge $350 for a simple brick lay! I love the herringbone pattern i would have loved that style for the floor tiles in our powder room, but i hate to even imagine how much they would charge me for that!

Interesting topic
Even if you are DIYing or getting quotes from a tile contractor
It's important to have a fair idea of what's involved regarding Rates,Material, Labour and Plant,etc,etc
in order to work out a fair price
3D Simulations of tile laying patterns and their data can be automated using apps
Here's' a sobering post in which I am critical of 3D rendering software packages that gives you Photo realistic (light rendering) images of what your tiling will look like when your tiling project is finished..but simulations for Cost analysis & Optimisation are ignored by designers, Tilers & Builders.. 2 guesses why the battlers and punters are keep in the dark on costs?

newwyhouse2233
ruraldoc
newwyhouse2233

Hey yep you are soo right and i think what we have chosen will be a bit more versitile with the rest of the house, plus as people have stated in other threads along with the fiance, the grout is a real issue with mold...

You are so right tho i am addicted to selling houses australia and always see new things i like and i have to calm myself down lol

We wont be building for a while, we have a sloping block that is about to be excavated and cut and filled and completley levelled so we have to wait untill that is done before we can even get our final consolodated tender, but our builder has been great and are happy to wait for the land to be ready before we go further they have even given me the name of all their suppliers so i can suss every thing out so that when we are ready we have everything already planned.

What about you?

Oops!
Haven't seen this reply!

As of today, we are at the near-slab stage! (as in... fill is almost done and once all the wet clears... we best be off and running!!) Feel free to peruse our build!

Incidentally, I am already trying to find ways to ask our builder to reduce some of their costings, but it might just be the constant bargainer in me.

Will look forward to seeing yours progress. All the best!
StructuralBIMGuy
Interesting topic
Even if you are DIYing or getting quotes from a tile contractor
It's important to have a fair idea of what's involved regarding Rates,Material, Labour and Plant,etc,etc
in order to work out a fair price
3D Simulations of tile laying patterns and their data can be automated using apps
Here's' a sobering post in which I am critical of 3D rendering software packages that gives you Photo realistic (light rendering) images of what your tiling will look like when your tiling project is finished..but simulations for Cost analysis & Optimisation are ignored by designers, Tilers & Builders.. 2 guesses why the battlers and punters are keep in the dark on costs?

Thanks, that looks helpful... I keep dreaming of DIY, but alas no time or skill or experience...
Related
11/02/2024
Replicate render scratch pattern

General Discussion

Generally, the texture that you listed will have a 2mm size stone chip in it which is dragged with float to give the lines Any patch work needs to be 2mm less than face…

26/10/2023
Builder Charging to Review Independent Reports

Building A New House

It is true that a builder can ignore your independent inspection report as it is not part of the contractual arrangement but that is stupid because he cannot avoid fixing…

11/11/2023
Window infill/ rendering over different substrates

General Discussion

yep you need a joint, foam is easiest, will look fine once rendered with a joint.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum