FINALLY remembered to take a pic of our grass

PolkaDots
FINALLY remembered to take a pic of our grass

Looks good in summer -

But what is this

pEast

Looks good in summer -

But what is this

Ok, so I had to go outside today and check that out, as you can probably see I don’t venture out there very often. It’s a drain. I have no idea what or why it’s doing there.

PolkaDots
pEast

Looks good in summer -

But what is this

Ok, so I had to go outside today and check that out, as you can probably see I don’t venture out there very often. It’s a drain. I have no idea what or why it’s doing there.

That’s good in case of flash flood case there will be no water logging in your backyard- u know how half an hour of heavy downpour turns streets in melbourne
Ahhh good to know. Thanks pEast

Argh!! Plants!! Why is it so hard to decide??

So we are FINALLY doing our front landscaping. (We actually don’t have that much to do but this whole plant decision is killing me).

I’ll be honest, I’m not a garden or plant person at all. So for someone who doesn’t like plants trying to find the prettiest and most suitable is hard.

This is what we’ve decided on so far. Along the front porch we are going to plant standard gardenias. We still have to decide on another plant to put lower to the ground. Which is what I need help with. So I like flowers but all the nurseries we’ve been to just keep recommending ground cover flowers. I hate when it’s just one big mass of flowers. I like when there is a little separation between them. For example I don’t mind English box when it’s first planted and it’s a row of cute little trees, but when it becomes just one big mass of hedge... yuk!

So can anyone recommend something pretty that flowers for most of the year, that won’t creep into one another? Does this even exist??

This is what the front looks like so far...

And here is a pic of the standard gardenia

I don’t mind those little purple flowers underneath them. I just don’t know what they are and I’m not sure if they will creep into one another.

Along the side fence, which will be painted charcoal, we were gonna get capital pear trees but we were talked out of them so were are leaning towards blueberry ash, prob 3 of them.

Still not sure what to do with the garden bed along the driveway. Need something to hide those stupid taps and something that’s not going to be in the way when people open their car doors etc.

So would love any thoughts, suggestions etc. hoping to get this all done before winter hits

PolkaDots

So we are FINALLY doing our front landscaping. (We actually don’t have that much to do but this whole plant decision is killing me).

I’ll be honest, I’m not a garden or plant person at all. So for someone who doesn’t like plants trying to find the prettiest and most suitable is hard.

This is what we’ve decided on so far. Along the front porch we are going to plant standard gardenias. We still have to decide on another plant to put lower to the ground. Which is what I need help with. So I like flowers but all the nurseries we’ve been to just keep recommending ground cover flowers. I hate when it’s just one big mass of flowers. I like when there is a little separation between them. For example I don’t mind English box when it’s first planted and it’s a row of cute little trees, but when it becomes just one big mass of hedge... yuk!

So can anyone recommend something pretty that flowers for most of the year, that won’t creep into one another? Does this even exist??

I don’t mind those little purple flowers underneath them. I just don’t know what they are and I’m not sure if they will creep into one another.

Along the side fence, which will be painted charcoal, we were gonna get capital pear trees but we were talked out of them so were are leaning towards blueberry ash, prob 3 of them.

Still not sure what to do with the garden bed along the driveway. Need something to hide those stupid taps and something that’s not going to be in the way when people open their car doors etc.

So would love any thoughts, suggestions etc. hoping to get this all done before winter hits

Love your house colours! What paint colour are your boards?

Ezza78
PolkaDots

Oh and we are doing similar style of house, colours and landscape, also doing gardenias and our landscaper suggested these in between for low coverage.
they aren’t giant like the name would suggest

Ezza78
Ezza78
PolkaDots

Oh and we are doing similar style of house, colours and landscape, also doing gardenias and our landscaper suggested these in between for low coverage.
they aren’t giant like the name would suggest

Thanks Ezza. I’ll check it out.

Our boards are Dulux Milton Moon and the trimmings are Dulux Vivid White

Thanks. Is your garage door Surfmist?

Ezza78
Thanks. Is your garage door Surfmist?

Yes it is. I was a little anxious about choosing surfmist (white wasn’t an option with our builder), as surfmist isn’t a white white, but you can hardly notice.

So I’ve only just realised that I never posted a pic of our backyard which I had promised to do back in MAY!!

So here is a pic, I’ve also attached a close up of our grass. For those of you wanting to know it’s Sapphire Buffalo. It’s hardy like buffalo grass but so much softer underfoot.

We’ve also FINALLY started on our front landscaping. We’ve kept it really basic. Standard Gardenias and paper daisies. I want to plant some purple pansies at the base of the gardenias and we will also plant some hyacinths and daffodils bulbs in May.

Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum