Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Here we go again...

Page 3 of 5
Thanks aloenyx

Thanks TashPaul.

Yes we are doing the same and waiting until we move so we can determine sizes of dining table and couches etc.

I want to get an 8 seater table that extends out to 3m (seen one at provincial living). We have 3 kids so once we have anyone over for dinner we're trying to squish around our 6 seater table.

We weren't sure whether to go rectangular or square. I like both and we just wanted to see the amount of space we would have once the lounge furniture etc was in (the meals and lounge are one big room). It was pretty clear quickly that a square one would look best.
How's it going Polka Dots? Any more progress?
TashPaul
How's it going Polka Dots? Any more progress?

Yes there has been a bit of progress. I've just been really slack and haven't gone for a while just can't be bothered getting the kids out of the car in this cold weather (my dad goes every day though and gives me updates)

Our front door is on! Waterproofing is done in the wet areas. Skirts and arcs have been delivered. Kitchen will probably go in next week!!! We've been told we are about 10 weeks out. Not too sure when I should start packing

Oh that's great news. I know what you mean by the weather - it's so cold and dark! Looking forward to seeing more pics
Ok, I'll hopefully go on the weekend and then flood this thread with photos

Ok, photos as promised

Front door from outside

Internal doors have been delivered

Skirts and archs delivered

Waterproofing in bathroom

Inside of front door

How exciting! It's looking great
Looking great Polka...
Ok, so I have been THE worst for maintaining this thread (and we haven't even moved in yet)!

We are not far off though, maybe 3 weeks!!!! All cabinetry is in, benchtops in, inside painted (needs one more coat), exterior painting almost complete, tiling is being done this week.

Garage door is on, carpet has been ordered, curtains have been ordered. I am pretty much going romans everywhere except for drapes on the big window in the master bedroom and on the living room sliding door.

Carpet colour: Resistain Mystic Isle Natural Canvas (looks lighter in real life)

I've discussed fence quotes with neighbours. My dad has been there on the weekends filling and levelling and getting it ready for concrete, (he's a concretor).

I went to the temple and Webster outlet in Richmond and bought my lamppost for the front yard, here a pic of it in pieces. I'm swapping out the frosted Perspex for clear. It was a bargain at only $199!!

So now just looking at a garden shed. Man are they uuugggggllllyyyyy!!! And if I want to design something even remotely pretty it's going to cost $3k. So we will just settle for an ugly one for now.

Hmmmm... what else do I need to organise so close to moving in?
Look at me, posting twice in one week!!!

Tiling has started and is looking great (well in photos anyway). I haven't seen them in real life yet but my site supervisor has been sending me photos.

Tiling in the main part of the house (don't mind the spacers).

And our kitchen backsplash is taking shape

Went past our house today. Tiling is done. Wardrobes, linen, pantry is all fitted out. The house is looking really great. And thankfully not as dark as it was looking before painting was done, (We didn't even think about natural light when we first did the plans a billion years ago). Of course if I knew then, what I know now, I would definitely change some things but overall I'm so happy with it all and I LOVE my floor tiles!!

Main Living and dining

Corridor - with two big linen presses!

Kitchen

Main bathroom - I HATE the colour of the cabinets (the sample looked so much lighter) but oh well, it's done now.

So apparently we are about two weeks away from getting our certificate of occupancy... eeekkk... I really need to start packing!!

Coming along nicely Polka.. not far now...
Thanks Reg!

Great news!! It feels good doesn't it after the crap you went through. Good luck with the move etc.
Thanks Tash. It is all starting to feel very surreal. Can't believe we will finally be able to call this place home in a few weeks!

So we've been given an estimated handover date of the 15th September. Dean homes have been so accommodating and are letting us instal our carpet earlier that week because we want to start moving in on the 16th. It's actually the only free weekend we have. Our next 4 weeks of weekends are filled with christenings and weddings!!

So I'm just trying to do a few last minute things. We've given our landlord notice and told them we will be out on the 24th September. I'm still debating on whether to pay for a vacate clean or do it myself.

My other dilemma is a security door to our front door. I don't really want to cover up my front door because I love it but if our house ever got broken into I don't think I would ever feel 100% safe in it again. Anyone have any suggestions on a security door that may suit our house??

Firstly, yay!! Great news
Secondly, with the door, I would think maybe the simpler the better? Like, one without too much detail, just the mesh and frame, like invisiguard or crimsafe. I know they can look modern but they also don't look odd over a more traditional door as you can see through the mesh, and the door behind. We had a more traditional door on our first house and a mesh style security door over the top and I don't think it looked odd at all.
Can't wait to see more photos!
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum