Since we are now a few weeks from our site start, thought it was time to share my experience with you lovely people who have been an inspiration and help to me over the past 12 months. So here goes...
- September 2015 - We secure our dream block of land after 18 months of waiting due to lots of persistence, a bit of luck and a winning sales consultant. It's a corner lot, creek facing frontage in a thoughtful and strictly planned estate. Due to scarcity of land and overwhelming demand, we pay a premium and sign an unconditional contract. Promptly burst into tears. Exciting but scary!
- January 2016 - Start designing our floor plan. We decide on a double story to make the most of the views. 3 bedrooms + study is plenty for the two of us. Lots of backwards and forwards with our architect.
- June 2016 - Sub-division completed. Loan application in, our bank doesn't want a bar of it. After 10 years banking with them, they reject us just because they don't like one of the clauses in the land contract. Re-submit to another bank. Valuation comes up $50K short. We knew we overpaid but if it wasn't us, someone else would have. Current home needs to be refinanced, own funds required. Land settles.
- July 2016 - Start researching private builders. Some with no capacity, others way over budget. Start getting quotes.
- August 2016 - Quotes come in slightly over budget without allowing for all upgrades. We review our floor plan, painfully decide it's a bit big for what we need and have to go back to our architect to reduce.
- November 2016 - Narrow it down to two builders recommended by family and friends. From the start one of them gets our vision and is all over it. Great attention to detail. Fantastic customer service. Decision made. We walk away feeling excited and confident.
- November 2016 - Tile selections completed after months of obsessing. And I mean OBSESSING, like visiting numerous tiles stores all over town and spending hours every night poring over Pintrest!! Though still can't decide on a tile for the kitchen splash back.
- December 2016 - All of our upgrades have pushed us over budget. The refrigerated cooling, 2-pac shaker cabinets, Caesarstone, you name it. So hard to cut back as I want everything LOL but we try.
- December 2016 - Developer is causing headaches. Expected but annoying. The facade we have our hearts set on is deemed too traditional with two gables. Try to explain we are going with a modern, coastal look but won't budge. A bit shattered. A bunch of other issues to sort out such as a corner treatment. Lots of backwards and forwards.
- December / January 2016 - Contracts drawn up. Review documents and fine tune details with builder to reduce number of provisional items. We end up over budget again! Decide to get the driveway done ourselves and owner supply the appliances.
- February 2016 - Contracts finally signed (hurrah!) with one variation and $5K under budget. Builder starts permit application process.
- February 2016 - Meet with our broker and submit our loan application. Nervous and keeping our expectations low with regards to the valuations.
- February 2016 - Developer approval finally obtained. Thank goodness as architect is about to throttle them after all of their drawing amendment requests! Facade amended to one gable and approved.
- March 2016 - We receive amazing news - our loan is unconditionally approved, valuations exactly as per our loan application - no shortfall to cover! We are in business!! All thanks to our kick-ass broker. No way we could have done it without him.
- March 2016 - Loan docs drawn up and signed. We pay builder balance of our 5% deposit. Insurance obtained. Now just waiting on the permit which should take 1-2 weeks, with site start a week after. Hoping for a slab down before Easter!!!
If you're still reading, thanks for taking the time. Pics to come...SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave