Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Derwent valley build

Page 1 of 1
Finally thought it was time to update our build
We are building in the Derwent Valley (Tasmania), I have owned the block of land for about 14 years, it was originally part of a farm that had been subdivided into acreage building blocks, the land is behind my house so I know the area well & all the neighbours

We signed up to build in July 2016 but because I had the block adhered to the house title it was a slow & painful process to get the titles separated, added to the delay was the Christmas & New Year government slow down over this time of year

Excavation work started prior to the council approval, the builder was confident that it would go ahead & the excavator contractor had time up his sleeve.

We are using a local builder Crusader Homes they have been excellent to deal with & very helpful, they are a family run business so you get a more personal service

Crusader Homes use the Cupolex domes, first time I had seen or heard of them but reading up about them they seem to work

Slab pored Wednesday morning 22/2/2017, first truck arriving just after 6am, 7 and a 1/2 trucks later the slab was pored by 930am, the pump made it easy work of it, not a wheel barrow in site.

Boxing came off Friday morning & the framing starting mid next week, builder confident they will have it lock up stage end of march, we are in no hurry

The house plan we decided on was based one of Crusader Homes plans, we did flip it around & moved things around a bit plus added a 4 car garage

The living area is 188 M2
Garage is 122 M2

4 bedroom, ensuite in master bedroom, walk in pantry, laundry in the garage, plus a toilet & hand basin in the garage so you don't have to go inside the house to clean up if working outside

The block has been used as a bit of a dumping ground for my stuff so will need a bit of a clean up as time goes by

Seems like a nice area. Very naughty starting work without approval though
Home taking good shape, 1 week after the boxing came off framing started, as I work shift work I am able to go & watch the guys building while they are there working plus giving them a hand when needed.
A long weekend this weekend so no more to be done until Tuesday

"

" />

" />

" />
Exciting times.
Your camera needs a sensor clean btw (if it's a dslr)
What a difference a month makes,
When the builders finished framing the brick layers & roofers were quick to move in
Counted 15 guys working on site at one stage, builders, electricians, brickies & roofers all having a go.
Very pleased how things are coming together,
Related
14/11/2023
NCC - Roof Valley - Does this comply?

Building A New House

thanks guys! yes this is how I've exactly raised it with the builder. still awaiting response.

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

8/11/2023
Our house was beautiful until Distinctive Homes destroyed ou

General Discussion

of course there are legal avenues. You've already mentioned it. Sue them. I find it odd that lawyers wouldnt be willing to take on the case, given CCT evidence and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum