Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Summit Bunbury

Page 2 of 4
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/w ... CI0018.jpg
Besides the fact that a 250 day contract could probably allow enough time to build a bridge from rottnest & I assume you signed such a long contract due to the boom in WA why are you still complaining 6 odd months after the contract date.
Okay. This contract is a standard one for W?A and was signed on the 01/04/05. That was 20 months ago. Sorry to complain when the Summit home four blocks away was started 6 months after ours and that house looks like being completed before ours. The mistakes on our house started at slab level with the resulting problems of the bay window being wrong. They ordered the wrong size sliding door and put it in anyway hoping we would not notice no doubt and then proceeded to tell us for 6 weeks that they had not ordered that size door for this house. So now they cant get the mortar mix right. Very proffessional. I dont need a degree to tell me that one of the interior walls was on an angle and that had to come out and be redone. The tiles in bathroom and ensuite... well even a 3 year old will tell you that you cant put a round peg in a square hole as you will have gaps. Maybe I should be gratefull for this pile of crap that I am paying good money for. As well as rent and all the extras needed to make a HOUSE a home. Will post the pictures of the 3 things mentioned and then go away and count my blessings for such a wonderful FIRST home experience
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/w ... 006002.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/w ... ure030.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/w ... ure020.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/w ... ain022.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/w ... 006019.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/w ... CI0074.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/w ... CI0085.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/w ... aundry.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/w ... mgs001.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/w ... all016.jpg

Sorry for the delay had to upload these ones from computer. Good Night all
Ironically Healeycole... Summit are currently out top ranked builder! I suspect you would disagree though. (In fact I think I'd be certain of it)

Hi Best Builder. In the Bunbury area and surrounds they are not at the moment. There is a lot of people who are not happy. I dont know if it was because of the boom im W/A but I know there are people who are worse of than us. It is sad that it had to come to the stage it has for all concerned. We could have accepted the delays but not the way the work was going and the way we were being treated. We realise the problems with lack of trades as my partner is a painter and actually does work in Busselton for Summit with his employer. When nothing else worked we felt this was the only avenue left to us. At the end of it all who knows we could end up happy with the result.
If you have time Healeycole it would be great to get your comments.

Cheers
Hi Best Builder. The house believe it or not has gone ahead in the past few days in great leaps and bounds. While we are happier and will post a review for you could we wait until the house is finished in a few weeks time to see how it all goes from here. They are close to completing a lot of the issues and concerns that we have. While I would still not recommend them we are impressed with what they have achieved in a short time
Pity it had to come to this stage as I have said before.
Hi Healeycole and all,

Woohoo my first post. We're also building in the same area and have had a similar experience. Build time is about 12 months for us (contract signed last August however changes and variations finally completed late November) and along the way we've had issues. We've learned a hell of alot from the experience and would like to share some observations incase they help.

We, as i'm sure many do, had all sorts of issues with the house such as mortar discolouration, broken bricks and badly installed gutters. We found that an issue if left long enough won't physically change on the house but tends to manifest itself in the owners mind. At the end of the day most issues are an easy 1 day job for someone. Some people say the way to getting the job done is to get in your supervisors hair. We've had mixed experiences.

Also we have always maintained a high level of respect for the people we've dealt with. We know many clients swear like troopers down a phone at their supervisors and don't believe it gets us anywhere. Be smart in your aproach, aggressive when needed, but always thank them at the end of it. This may be a hard pill to swallow but has enabled us to talk truthfully to our builder and have the same in return.

Finally don't look at the progress of other houses being built by the same builder. We did it and found that it was affecting US in bad ways. We know it's hard not to but other people have their own issues just as much as you do. If the construction manager is doing his job well then the trades will circulate fairly in relation to how long the job has been in their system.

The end result is the key. Don't lose your vision and excitment at owning something in todays soaring property prices. It seems like you're on par with us...maybe a little ahead... so you've probably learned all we have too. Hope all goes well.
Hi. We tried all of the above. We had FIVE site supervisors. Yep and trust me that makes it hard. The only one we met was the last one. We were patient but that runs pretty thin after a while. The second site supervisor * to his own employers by saying we were at roof stage at Xmas 2005. We have not lost sight of the big picture of owning our own home and never having to rent. As I have said all along we dont blame the supervisor we have now. He got a few of these jobs and is now on track with ours. I still say it should not have come to the point that we had to threaten to go to the Builders Registration Board to have faults rectified in a reasonable time frame.
As it all stands at the moment we will BE IN THE HOUSE or in possession of it by Xmas. So sometimes aggression has its place in the scheme of things.
We know people who are in the same position as us with Summit and to be fair to all we are staying out of there problems and letting them sort things out for themselves.
The key to things at the moment is compromise EG: The powerpoint in ensuite is not able to be installed as it is too close to the shower and basin so instead of making them go to the expense of replacing the shower screen we have told them to take it out and fill in the hole and replace the tile. This worked well as it was the easiest option and I never use a powerpoint in the bathroom any way but if one is needed later it can go else where.
we are not unreasonable people but to get respect you first have to give it and that at times was not the case here.......on both sides

Lost the excitement months ago. We get excited over building a limestone wall. We got excited when the fencing went up.Significant other half Just wants to play in his workshop/shed with his toys. Me I am planning the gardens. Sad but we are over the house itself.
I go and look at the house on the way home and feel....cant say how I feel and thats not right. uninterested nah the best way is to say over it
Totally confused over the tactics this company uses.They are now pushing us for the final payment to be paid before Xmas and they are dangling the keys as carrot. We are not rabbits. We want the house done properly and there is still faults. Have looked into having the house independantly checked by http://www.housepect.com.au Shame we did not know about them before but it may be worth the $550 to have this done as i sometimes get the feeling we are missing something.
They have turned the power off to the house as the mains conduit was not far enough underground and ran on an angle upto the house. We asked them about that at the "HIT LIST MEETING" last wednesday and the electrician went there yesterday 8/12/06 and could not even dig into the driveway to see what had happened. Tried to say we had taken dirt out and had gone too far. Well i put him straight as we actually put sand on the driveway to raise it for the machine to move the limestone blocks. This block is mostly clay and you cant dig thru it you need a machine or if doing manually a pick.
The trench for the rear limestone wall is the same with the sewerage pipe not being underground very far as well. But hey all this work was done by experts and we dont know what we are talking about
If any one reading this is contemplating building a new house please get an independant company to check the work as it will save a lot of heartache to have any faults rectified as soon as they happen at each stage
Just as post script to the above. We are seriously thinking of getting them to repair the bay window as they ended up doing okay on the sliding door. Maybe they are trying to renage on the compo that was offered to us. If that is the case then they can fix the bay window as we are not doing it later at our expense. we have already paid for it to be right the first time before we move in. Have a nice day all reading and good luck with your building
Hi Healeycole,

Wow things seem to be confusing indeed with your builder. They haven't gone and done the wrong and requested payment for completion when it isn't yet complete have they? If they have that's a big no-no on their side.

It sounds like getting some sort of thorough inspection of, not just your house, but the land with all of it's details too is a great idea Even if it is just for your piece of mind. Everything should be exactly as your plans state and if things are not then you can demand that they fix it. I know that getting in the house is probably the highest priority for you but don't feel you should do that until you are totally happy with it. I know that there's some clauses dealing with practical completion of a house and some of the work needed may fall under this clause in your contract. Having said that though after all the dramas you've had I'd expect they'd be bending over backwards to make you end up happy.
Hi. bunoluvas. Yes that is exactly what they have done and NO we are not playing that game with Summit. No way are we authorising the final payment until we are TOTALLY happy. Did wonder about the so called "Hit List Meeting" but that is apparently becoming the normal thing to do.
Hi Bunoluvas and Healeycole

Has the building tribunal been an option for you? We know someone who started to get them into the process and suddenly the builder was more helpful. Its tricky though as I suspect if they are still in the contracted building period then they don't have to fix anything until the end. Also I think there is a difference between complaints about contracts (eg price) v's complaints about workmanship (eg the room was built smaller than plan).

But I'd recommend you talk to the local Industry Association for more accurate information and for advice.

Oh - also - are you both Summit in Bunbury? Or is that only Healeycole.

Cheers
Hi best builda. I am Summit in Bunbury. I dont know about bunoluva. Today I heard of other people who are not happy with Summit in the South West and I have passed on to be given to them, all of these web addresses. It is then up to them to do the rest as we have enough problems of our own at the moment trying to sort our mess out. So you may get a couple in Eaton and a person from brunswick posting soon. The other person I gave these addies to was with another builder. (*). It seems to be an epidemic down here ( or over here) for people that are unhappy at there builders
Yeah we are with Plunkett personally. Which ever builder you go with it seems very hit and miss what your experience will be.

Experiences even within the same builder seem to be very varied. We know of some people who are about 7 months into building with Summit and have only contacted the supervisor twice. On those occasions though it was simply to let him know that they were happy with the progress and not to raise and issues.
Gee Bunoluva wish i was seven months into the build and not TWENTY ONE.
Only met one site supervisor. Yep its all luck of the draw as you say pity the first site supervisor was inept and a liar to boot. Well glad some people are happy with the progress they are having. Maybe in hindsight we should not have waited until just before xmas 2005 before asking why it was taking so long.
Its not like this is a huge house or mansion its only 149.72M2. carport is 30.02M2. Total area 179.74
So whats that, approximately 8.55square metres a month.
Yep gotta be happy with that progress. Plus a dry winter and wet weather after the roof went on.
Maybe the people you know signed up when it was starting to slow down a little in the industry.
Could I you ask when they signed up and how long and at what stage they are at the moment.
Maybe they should have finished some of the backlog houses before they took on new contracts.
We could have handled the wait if the Quality of workmanship had been there, sadly it is not.
Well they had a hell of a wait for site works to start. I'm guessing 3 months! 7/8 months in to the actual build....don't know when they signed up though. I'm guessing theyd be at a total of over 13-14 months now but it is a guess. Cabinets in and all is being painted.

We personally just consider the atual build to be the length of time taken... so our place is a 1 year build. If we took into account signing up, prestart, negotiating pland and lots of variations then we'd be up around 18 months.
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum