Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

New here we are building the Doulton 56 with extension

Page 1 of 77
Apparently we are one of the first to build a Doulton. And we got told Its merticons biggest project on new land. We had a few problems with getting the house to fit on the land. Because of over shadowing as our neighbours built on the fence line. Which then cost us $11,000 more.

We have just finish signing contracts finally. We have a site start in April. Which I'm hoping goes to plan. This is our forth time building. So we do know bit of what to expect. The house in total with no outdoors. As we have a lot of kids. And made a lounge room out of it. It brings the house in total to 66.5Sq meters. As we also added another 2 bedroom. So it has 7 in total. We opted for 2 two way bathrooms instead of 4 ensuite's. But still kept one ensuite.

Is anyone with Commback? How did they go with adding your tile variation?
Doulton777
Apparently we are one of the first to build a Doulton. And apparently Its merticons biggest project on new land. We also have over 200 variations. We have a few problems with getting the house to fit on the land. Because of over shadowing as our neighbours built on the fence line. Which intern cost us $11,000 more.

We have just finish signing contracts finally. We have a site start in April. Which I'm hoping goes to plan. This is our forth time building. So we do know bit of what to expect. The house in total with no outdoors. As we have a lot of kids. And made a lounge room out of it. It brings the house in total to 66.5Sq meters. As we also added another 2 bedroom. So it has 7 in total. We opted for 2 two way bathrooms instead of 4 ensuite's. But still kept one ensuite.

Is anyone with Commback? How did they go with adding your tile variation?

That's a beautiful design. Good luck with it all. We've been into that place a few times. The stairwell is incredible.
Thanks for the response. Yeah the stairs are amazing. And we only had to upgrade for $7000. Which I was surprised as Other builders was going to cost us $13,000 If we went with them.
That's going to be a super sized home. You're a veteran now since it's your 4th time doing this.
What's the base price for the Doulton?
Yes Its a major project for them. All my consultant says when she goes in there is Im here for the big job. And they know what she talking about.

Yes we have been there 3 times already. Metricon was the only one that would do so many changes to their plan.

The base prices was at the time $444,000 without site cost.
That's really good value for the price. I haven't been to the display home yet but I'm sure it's lovely.
Do you know the width of the entry?
We thought so too. I think its more now. Orignally It was a designer. But since it was built they changed it to signature range. The entry is 2700.
Its amazing. Specially the stairs.

Me and hubby went through the plans with them. To make sure whats included and what is not. I love how they have so many bulk heads that were included in the price. My consultant was amazing. She did so much for us. She went to bat for us in so many ways. I still have contact with her even thou Her area is over with. But we still keep in contact. We even txt each other and ring each other after hours. She's amazing. She's gone far and beyond for us.
Hi Doulton777, looking forward to your future postings on your build.

Am looking to build the Doulton 56 too and just starting to do research and figuring out what I need to know before I begin talks.
How long did you take first entering contract talks to finally signing?
How has the process been with Metricon so far?
Also approximately how much does your build cost if you don't mind me asking? Just trying to get a rough figure as I went to the display home and they said to build it the same as the display home costs around 800k and people who people the Doulton generally spend between 6-700k.

Cheers mate and good luck with your house!
Thanks you. Took us about 5 months from talks to contract but thats also with bypassing pc which would then take longer. The process so far has been a bit stressful as we have had so many problems with getting the house on the land. As next door has built on the fence line. Then we bypassed Pc but with a lot of hassles. We knew what we wanted as Its our 4th time building. They hesitated because we have a lot of structural changers. The most Metricon has ever had. So they were hesitant. But our consultant was amazing and got it through. Its very important to get a really good consultant. Even thou Metricon don't really like to bypass Pc. Our consultant did an amazing job with getting it through.

We are roughly around $814,000 so far. But thats with over 200 variations. We still need to pick our tiles. Even thou we have upgrades with tiles up the wall. And our site cost was pretty high cos they had to put 76 piers. Cos of next doors house being on the fence line.

I would be surprised if the display is only $800.00. If you get it for that much. Its a great price. Try find a honest consultant. It makes all the difference to the prices you will get. Try also to add allowances in your estimations. Makes sure you ask whats included in that price.

I figured any major builder you will get hassles in some way. Cos theirs usually someone in some areas they will muck up or something. Just be on top of it all. Electrical is one of the most important areas. So make sure you put everything you need in there.
I forgot to add. Thats including the Wembley facade.
Sounds like one awesome home you're getting ready to build! Looking forward to following your journey!

You got your plans to upload?
I went to check out the doulton display just before since I was having lunch across the road. What a beautiful home for the price. The front door was stunning, it is however an upgrade. I had a chat with the sales consultant and he advised me that price was 850k for the display home which wouldn't include site costs. I'm sure that it will be more than 850 regardless since they like to downplay the price.

Did you increase the ceiling to 3m?
Thanks Dulle. I just hope it goes smoothly from this time on. Yes I do have some. They are not the complete ones yet. As Metricon Kept mucking it up. They needed to take out the cladding. As we are having all Hebel. I will download them soon
Vuster It is amazing. We upgraded our front doors originally. But then Hubby changed it cos we were told initially we could have both doors pivot. But after in selection they told us thats not possible. So we changed it to one large door with two sidelights.

And I also think the same too. Some lie and say its $800,00 just so they can sit you down and get you in the door.
No we only went to 2700. But we added square cornices from the front door through to the kitchen instead.

I tried to post a pic of the plans. I downloaded the plans. But it doesn't have the submit button. Also it won't let me use the quote?
vuster
I went to check out the doulton display just before since I was having lunch across the road. What a beautiful home for the price. The front door was stunning, it is however an upgrade. I had a chat with the sales consultant and he advised me that price was 850k for the display home which wouldn't include site costs. I'm sure that it will be more than 850 regardless since they like to downplay the price.

Ha. We probably crossed paths then vuster! I was in the Doulton today having a good chat to the sales guy.
Special_K
vuster

Ha. We probably crossed paths then vuster! I was in the Doulton today having a good chat to the sales guy.

Yes quite possibly however I was in and out with my son within 10 minutes.
another massive mansion to be build

Write reply...
Scott2233
another massive mansion to be build

Sure is a big one
Doulton777

Glad I have found your thread. I am at the start of my journey with the Doulton 56 with the classique fascade (as the display home with the 50mm bricks and not fully rendered at the front).
No significant changes structurally however apart from the downstairs guest suite changed to a lounge.
I will keep looking at your thread for any ideas.

Good Luck
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

29/06/2023
Renovation/Extension at Auchenflower, Brisbane.

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hello Josh, This is Irving from PRIMA, we are a manufacturer of the staircase, railings, kitchen cabinets, windows, doors from China. If you have requirement to purchase…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum