Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

My build in Bloomdale- Handover not accepted ☹️

Page 7 of 12
Melt23

Some exciting progress! Bricks are going up, insulation done, plaster ready to go up! Expecting lock up to be completed in the next week!

House is feeling ok sized now, but looking forward to the plaster going up

I can't see your pics but strange they are doing plastering before bricks. My bricks started. Not very happy as the ones I chose were out of stock and I had to pick other ones. I also think they stuffed up the motar, I chose off white and it looks grey to me.

The pic below compares to my neighbours one.

I think the mortar dries lighter, so might be okay.

Are your bricks mocha? I have mocha with natural mortar (the grey) and I really like it. But if you paid more for white, I would understand wanting to get what you paid for.
Oh, I’m not sure why my pics aren’t working

Valerie3e, hopefully the mortar lightens as it dries for you! I don’t think I chose mortar colour, the front of my place will be rendered so I’m not too fussed anyway.
Didn’t get a chance to go past my place tonight- fingers crossed they got the bricks done though, big storms are on the way.

Melt23
Oh, I’m not sure why my pics aren’t working

Valerie3e, hopefully the mortar lightens as it dries for you! I don’t think I chose mortar colour, the front of my place will be rendered so I’m not too fussed anyway.
Didn’t get a chance to go past my place tonight- fingers crossed they got the bricks done though, big storms are on the way.

They originally were austral truffle which got changed to pepperwood. The neighbours one I think is mocha. I'll go back in the morning and check when it's dry

Omggggggg stopped by tonight, looks like bricks are pretty much complete (the section near the meter box will be a concrete slab wall thing rather than brick), plasterboard is up & skirting boards have been delivered! So much progress over the last week I’m so impressed!!

House and yard is a rubbish dump though. Hopefully they clean that up soon.

Melt23
Omggggggg stopped by tonight, looks like bricks are pretty much complete (the section near the meter box will be a concrete slab wall thing rather than brick), plasterboard is up & skirting boards have been delivered! So much progress over the last week I’m so impressed!!

House and yard is a rubbish dump though. Hopefully they clean that up soon.

Wow heaps has been done! Looks great

Received lock up invoice today- I’ve emailed the builder as the wall around the meter box has not been installed (not brick, some sort of concrete sheet), the front door has no handle & is wide open, and the door from the garage through to the hallway is not installed. Will see what the go is with that before I start making payments. I’ve also asked about the wonky meter box & whether that will be made straight before its completed because I am not ok with how it is now.

Otherwise, happy with the bricking in the side & back of the house. The front looks a bit shabby but will be rendered so no biggie. Looks like the shower base in the main bathroom has been dug out a bit more (the slab ppl put it too close to where the bath is)

So apparently ‘lock up’ doesn’t mean ‘locked up’ who knew?!!

Going to have a lot of rain over the next few days so will be good to see how the roof holds up

They are expecting the fixing stage to be completed by Xmas and also possibly painting will be started which is exciting.

I’m 80% packed and ready to move already haha.

Melt23

Going to have a lot of rain over the next few days so will be good to see how the roof holds up

They are expecting the fixing stage to be completed by Xmas and also possibly painting will be started which is exciting.

Hi Melt23!
Just read through your thread! Congrats! Looks great! This part of the build is the fastest in my experience... As soon as you get locked out out it’s harder to get in to snoop around at their progress!

We are just up the freeway in Gisborne! Beautiful corner of the world! Look forward to seeing your progress!

Nat

NatTabs
Melt23

Hi Melt23!
Just read through your thread! Congrats! Looks great! This part of the build is the fastest in my experience... As soon as you get locked out out it’s harder to get in to snoop around at their progress!

We are just up the freeway in Gisborne! Beautiful corner of the world! Look forward to seeing your progress!

Nat

Hi NatTabs! Thanks for your comment
I’ve not ventured out to Gisborne before but I think I saw an ad for a market up there so no doubt when I’m moved in I’ll head up there to check it out
are you building now also? Or already built & moved in?

I stopped by the house tonight to check for leaks and it all looks good, but the kitchen window was wide open. I closed it because of the forecasted rain, so hopefully won’t get told off since I’m not supposed to go on site! The thought of delays due to rain soaked plasterboard didn’t sound enjoyable!

Looks like some progress has occurred this week!

I am absolutely loving the kitchen, cannot wait to see the stone bench top!

The bathroom cabinet colour I was a bit worried about as it was a rush decision after Mum suggested my original choice (a wood looking laminate) did not seem like my style. I like the black shiny bench top, the ‘moss grey’ cabinets are a bit meh, hopefully they grow on me

Laundry cabinet is supposed to be white (I had no choice re the colour), I’m hoping the cream look is just because of the sun setting outside.

I probably won’t visit again til Xmas time as things are slowing down with trades so probably not much more excitement til next year. Looking forward to the flooring going down and the paint & wardrobes getting done.

Also had a response today about the stormwater drain in the dining room- they’ve contacted the plumber to come and cut it back and concrete over it so I’m happy it should be more sturdy than a plastic lid with no concrete!

Melt23

The bathroom cabinet colour I was a bit worried about as it was a rush decision after Mum suggested my original choice (a wood looking laminate) did not seem like my style. I like the black shiny bench top, the ‘moss grey’ cabinets are a bit meh, hopefully they grow on me

Laundry cabinet is supposed to be white (I had no choice re the colour), I’m hoping the cream look is just because of the sun setting outside.

I probably won’t visit again til Xmas time as things are slowing down with trades so probably not much more excitement til next year. Looking forward to the flooring going down and the paint & wardrobes getting done.

Also had a response today about the stormwater drain in the dining room- they’ve contacted the plumber to come and cut it back and concrete over it so I’m happy it should be more sturdy than a plastic lid with no concrete!

Looks so good!

valerie3e
Melt23

Looks so good!

Thanks

I got my fixing stage invoice yesterday. All the internal doors are hung and skirting and architraves installed. Also looked like nbn box was in. Pretty happy so far. Only one more invoice to go!

Seems to get a lot of natural light with the afternoon sun, be interesting to see if it feels a bit bigger once the light paint is on the walls.

Looks like you are flying along.
Melt23
valerie3e
Melt23

Looks so good!

Thanks

I got my fixing stage invoice yesterday. All the internal doors are hung and skirting and architraves installed. Also looked like nbn box was in. Pretty happy so far. Only one more invoice to go!

Seems to get a lot of natural light with the afternoon sun, be interesting to see if it feels a bit bigger once the light paint is on the walls.

Looks good!

I went to a homemaker centre and was hoping to buy a bunch of furniture today on sale but every shop I went to I didn’t like anything ☹️

I ended up buying a bed online that has a gas lift thing to store stuff under the mattress- I’ve had my eye on this for over a month and decided to buy it since I liked it. Of course after I paid for it I started second guessing myself with the colour I chose and don’t know if it will take up too much space in my tiny room. Haha.

I’ve asked them to hold off delivery til after settlement- it’s crazy to think in a couple of months I will be in my own house!

I’ve decided to get an inspector infor PCI- there’s a few things I’m not happy with so I’d like to make sure everything is done properly before paying the final invoice.

Went for a visit yesterday, the only new additions appear to be door handles on all the external doors, so I’m completely locked out now
Not sure how I’ll cope for the rest of the build haha

The meter box is really making me grumpy, I’m hoping when the wall goes up around it it ends up being straight and less stick outy

Why is it at the front door? Isn't it usually placed on the side of the home?
Skcel

My house is built on both side boundaries (it’s a small block) so I don’t think there was anywhere else they could have put it

Melt23
Skcel

My house is built on both side boundaries (it’s a small block) so I don’t think there was anywhere else they could have put it

Mine is also on the front like yours!

Related
12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

13/11/2023
Key Handover

General Discussion

Your house should come in "as new" condition. It should be clean, and without stains

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum