Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Hickinbotham Homes in SA

Page 42 of 44
Yes it's for real - a surveyor needs to certify that your boundaries are correct. When we got ours back it showed that the fences were a couple of mm on the neighbour's side here and there but nothing to worry about. It cost us $700 and the builder arranged it - the contract stated originally that we were to organise but that changed when we went to our final selections appointment for some reason. It's very confusing isn't it?? The cost was always listed in our contract pricing guide though.
Hi Cass

We didn't have to do it because Hickies owned the estate we bought our land in and therefore had already pegged it all out. However they did state that if when going to site the pegs had been moved or knocked over, we would have to organise a site survey again at our own cost. AS IF! Anyway one was knocked over and another was missing but I told them that they were there originally and I had photos to prove it so they didn't charge us.

I know that isn't very helpful but all I am saying is, if you feel like you need to say something and question something, it doesn't hurt to try or ask the question!
That sounds like standard text that they tell everyone. It is necessary to have the pegs. Our builder gave us the choice of them organising it or us. We opted for them to do it at a cost of $550. We got it done when we were ready to start construction.
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think we have to suck it up and pay for it, but I'll darned well make sure that it's done as late as possible to limit the risk of losing them. I'm not going to pay twice!

Another question.

We went to the Laminex Showroom in Adelaide today, as DH needed to help me finish up our kitchen selections. He has totally fallen in love with Oyster Linea, but also specifically on the horizontal.

This one is outside Hickies standard range. Has anyone had a laminate from outside the standard range and/or gone on the horizontal, and can give me an idea of the extra cost? We will probably go for it anyway, but I would just like to flesh out the budget a little more.

PM me if you'd rather be discreet re: prices

Thanks in advance!
Did you do a search for "horizontal" on here? There are a few who have done it - you will be able to see what it looks like. No idea of what it will cost you though.
Hi, Im Jasmin and my husband and I have just signed up to build the Belmont. Deposit has been paid and i think our file is being sent off for master plans next week (we forgot a signature on the contract that was done almost a month ago and they have only just picked it up) which has apparently already delayed our file.
We are building in the country so building is going to take alot longer to complete so im hoping we can be in there by August 2012.
Hi Jas.. Bugger about the delayed paperwork. Hopefully it doesn't take too long at all to build and maybe you'll be in before August 2012!
Just wondering how much your all paying for travel costs?
Ours is $40,000 but we are in Port Augusta so just wondering how much cheaper it is in Adelaide.

Thanks Jasmin
As far as I can remember - nothing!

Bugger... That's a lot of cash for travel.
Really $0
Gee we do get ripped off in the country. Even though we pay that much for travel they will not travel just to build my house and need to do at least 3 or four at a time so they get $120,000 - $160,000 just so they can travel 300km. Plus our build time is 10 weeks longer then if we had built in Adelaide.
Yep it is alot of money esp when that could have been used for a lot of upgrades.
Hi jas, ours was about $2,000 to Mount Barker, I am glad I don't live up there
Wow Lucene, you got a good deal with that one. I just checked our contract.... we have been priced at $5690. That's a fair bit more for 10 more minutes away from Mt Barker. But still, $40,000 is just insane, especially if they are doing multiple builds up there. That would leave a nasty taste in the mouth
hi guys, i've been quoted by two surveyors to do a land survey, 1 at $2500, the other about $3000. i am doing sub-division in Blair Athol and signed with Hickinbotham. now at the final stage to finish the sub-division and get the land title. how could survey be so expansive.
Our builder arranged our land survey which cost $700 - you would think it would be a "standard" charge wouldn't you?
Subdivision probably costs a fair whack extra I'd suspect.
Sorry - missed that!
We were charged $6000 travelling to build in Mount Compass even though most of the tradies lived around that area

Cheers Mel
Wow such a varying figure. Same here Mel we pay that much but most of the tradies are locals anyway.
I had no idea how slowly things can go, we signed ages ago and were told we should start building in August (which i thought was a bit too close but thats what they were telling me) anyway once we received our 2nd master plan due to an error i enquired about next step to be told we are waiting on footings report and they dont do a country run until they have enough so we will just sit there and wait (only 2 on the list) and we can wait for at least 2-3 months if not longer and then once they finally get here they will send off to council which will take around 3 months so i think by the time they get into gear it will be dec and we then go on a wait list for the next build here. I was hoping to be in by August 2012 but i dont think that will happen now.
Hi all, i thought it was about time i posted on here as I have used this thread extensively throughout my pre construction phase. When life is quiet one day I will get on here and post prices from my colours appointment etc. I signed with Hickies towards the end of March and we were released to construction last Friday, so we have been very happy with their service. Our site got pegged out today, and they also called to tell us to try and cut the lawn down close to the dirt as site preparation could start anyday!
I have found a fanstic data/ audio guy down south who is very reasonable with prices and has a good reputation from others. PM me if you want his details
Related
14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum