Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who is Building with Porter Davis?

Page 2 of 3
lizbf85
nikil
They have done 1 soil test but they say the costs are subject to a second soil test, which I think is ridiculous as what can have changed in 8-10 weeks??

Quite a bit can change in that time even if it is 8 to 10 weeks. Reactive soil is usually what they r looking for. If a house has been sitting there for 60 years and its finally seen daylight alot of things can change..

Sounds crazy however i remember an engineer explaining it in detail. And prob just another delay pd have u waiting for in anticipation of costs.
/quote]

That doesn't surprise me
. I shall wait patiently with my fingers crossed.

We were booked in for site start in November and still waiting for a date. Contracts were signed in January. Our BC advised waiting on council permits but no indication of when thats as lodged.
That's a long wait naziac!! Is it normal for council to take that long?
naziac
We were booked in for site start in November and still waiting for a date. Contracts were signed in January. Our BC advised waiting on council permits but no indication of when thats as lodged.

We were booked in for site start last September. Contracts were signed last October. Still waiting on council approval now in March.
Any idea what the hold up is?? That's a crazy amount of time to be waiting!
nikil

It is as if every couple of weeks they ask for clarification on something from our plans. And then you email them more info and a couple of weeks later they ask about something else.

We always feel like approval is just around the corner and then another delay.

nikil
naziac
nikil
Something seems to be wrong with posts showing here?

How is your build going Naziac?
Thats very odd nikil! I wrote a long post...

Nothing much has happened. we have now been told the council permits won't be lodged until construction drawings are signed. We are still waiting for those and our BC refuses to give any indication of how long that would take. We signed our final PCV a week ago, mainly to rectify their mistakes. Its been months of going back and forth, issues needing to be corrected and then waiting for them to be actually done. For example, KC took 14 weeks to provide us with final drawings that we could sign on.

This waiting game is tiring and I'm ready for some action on site!
Waldorf_Grange_Build
nikil

It is as if every couple of weeks they ask for clarification on something from our plans. And then you email them more info and a couple of weeks later they ask about something else.

We always feel like approval is just around the corner and then another delay.

Thats terrible but again i believe it. When you think your house plan is straight forward and it goes to council for in excess of 13 weeks. Whilst pd like to inform they dont force any issues arising they also have no idea about each individual council.

To get through council in under 6 weeks would be a miracle for anyone it seems.
Gosh i hope ur next submission is the end of it
Yea I can imagine!! You've been waiting a while. We are waiting for results of our second soil test at the moment, I've just emailed our BC to see if it has been completed yet.
nikil
Yea I can imagine!! You've been waiting a while. We are waiting for results of our second soil test at the moment, I've just emailed our BC to see if it has been completed yet.

I hope they have and get a riggle on for you . As council is really unknown and going by most others its usuallly not a fast turn around.
Yea it seems there is no real guideline on how long council approval takes, other than it takes a long time! I understand council approval depts are busy and probably getting hundreds of building applications weekly but that is their job, hire more staff if need be..
nikil
Yea it seems there is no real guideline on how long council approval takes, other than it takes a long time! I understand council approval depts are busy and probably getting hundreds of building applications weekly but that is their job, hire more staff if need be..

I'm wondering what factors council take into account? I would have assumed that using a volume builder they would have at least some idea about what might hold things up with council and make sure that those aren't an issue?
Yes you would think that. I think a lot of people have issues with developer approval more than council approval. I'm glad we don't have both to deal with!
nikil
Yes you would think that. I think a lot of people have issues with developer approval more than council approval. I'm glad we don't have both to deal with!

They are completely useless when it comes to council. Of told me to ask for the 4m setback and council will probably come back to me with a compromise. After getting a flat out rejection from council the council told me that they either agree or reject a setback request, they don't give a compromise. I would have never asked for 4m if I knew that. Off course they'd reject it, it's too little!!! If Pd would have told me they have no idea I'd ask the council before letting pd send the request. It was a waste of time and money and now we won't be asking for a new setback because we want to start building already.

Best tip for anyone reading this- if you need to request a setback then do it yourselves!!
Naama
nikil

They are completely useless when it comes to council. Of told me to ask for the 4m setback and council will probably come back to me with a compromise. After getting a flat out rejection from council the council told me that they either agree or reject a setback request, they don't give a compromise. I would have never asked for 4m if I knew that. Off course they'd reject it, it's too little!!! If Pd would have told me they have no idea I'd ask the council before letting pd send the request. It was a waste of time and money and now we won't be asking for a new setback because we want to start building already.

Best tip for anyone reading this- if you need to request a setback then do it yourselves!!

And call the council yourselves because pd have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to what individual council require.

Just one of many examples...Our charge at contract for $3k for traffic control because pd say its a council requirment. we call council and they flat out tell us thats a lie and there's no requirement. They are not trustworthy at all!

Naama so no compromise at all? They didn't come back to you the second time?
Thanks to you Liz I was prepared for that and called the council prior to our appointment in case they tried to charge us for it, but they didn't.

I imagine many people would just assume that if they put it in there it must be correct.
nikil
Thanks to you Liz I was prepared for that and called the council prior to our appointment in case they tried to charge us for it, but they didn't.

I imagine many people would just assume that if they put it in there it must be correct.

Im glad i could help. They are buggers. Especially being ripped off right in front of our eyes. Tender for us was an utter joke and truly laughable. When they walk out of a room return 5 min later and say oh sorry your right and take 6k out straight a away... that should have been our cue to walk away .

Did u get an update today?
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum