Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Rawson Homes - General Thread

Page 39 of 41
Hi all,

We are upgrading our to double glazed windows with Rawson Homes. Does anyone have idea what sort of glass are they using? Lightbridge? Performance glass? Toned glass?

Thanks in advance!
What ever the cheapest is.
luxbuild
You can only go by the preconstruction plans etc and your specific plan documents. The contract states marketing material isn't part of the contract.

So if there is something missing you think should be in there, make sure its on your plan and also tender/selections, otherwise you will have trouble having it included.

If it says face brick, thats what it will be, unless you get it corrected or raised as a variation.

Thank you. You were exactly right. What I saw online was the 'artist's impression' version of the facade. I am not sure why they bother doing this - they may as well just depict it as brick, as they do with other facades. Of course, I could have render if I want it, which I don't. I've replaced the face brick with panel board, which resulted in a small refund of a couple of hundred dollars.

Suggest anyone else trying to make a decision on facade does not rely on the online depiction, rather, ask your sales person for all the specifics of each facade they're considering. This goes the same for basically everything inside and outside the home.
Leona33
Hi all,

We are upgrading our to double glazed windows with Rawson Homes. Does anyone have idea what sort of glass are they using? Lightbridge? Performance glass? Toned glass?

Thanks in advance!

We're building with Rawson Homes and had two windows double glazed. I don't think they use any special glass... the specification written in the variation just says 4mm clear/10mm gap/4mm clear.

The cost for upgrading to double glazed wasn't as much as I feared. The first window is a west facing kitchen splashback window, AFW 686mm (H) x 3000mm (L) and the upgrade price for double glazing was $300. The second is a very large north facing window in our ground floor family room, AFW 2300mm (H) x 3600mm (L) for which the upgrade price for double glazing was $1,370.

Rawson also quoted about $150 per window to upgrade ten windows to Low-E Planibel G glazing (total $1,500) to comply with BASIX, but upon further investigation this was found not to be required.
robw17
Leona33
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

We're building with Rawson Homes and had two windows double glazed. I don't think they use any special glass... the specification written in the variation just says 4mm clear/10mm gap/4mm clear.

The cost for upgrading to double glazed wasn't as much as I feared. The first window is a west facing kitchen splashback window, AFW 686mm (H) x 3000mm (L) and the upgrade price for double glazing was $300. The second is a very large north facing window in our ground floor family room, AFW 2300mm (H) x 3600mm (L) for which the upgrade price for double glazing was $1,370.

Rawson also quoted about $150 per window to upgrade ten windows to Low-E Planibel G glazing (total $1,500) to comply with BASIX, but upon further investigation this was found not to be required.

Thanks!
Hi all,

For those who build a double storey with Rawson (Ours is Leona 30), how much did it cost you to upgrade from James hardie easylap to James hardie Axon?

Thanks in advance!
Hi all,

For double storey homes, how much was the variation for stairs upgrade with Rawson?

Thanks!
I'd say over 20k as a ballpark, but it really depends on what you are doing.

If you do upgrade stairs, check and get every element documented. I also recommend you become a familiar with all the parts of the stairs so you know exactly what you will be getting. Even if it's done as per a display home double check everything to ensure nothing is overlooked.

If you look at past builds on here, stair changes are something many people have issues with.

Rawson also seem to leave it late in the process to discuss the stairs and it's often hard to see a standard stair inclusion in a build, so I suggest getting it all sorted out as early as possible.
Hi all (again)!,

Has anyone used Taubsman Akimbo as interior wall paint? Any feedback? Thinking of pairing it with taubmans brilliant white as ceiling colour.

ThanKS!
Leona33
Hi all,

For double storey homes, how much was the variation for stairs upgrade with Rawson?

Thanks!

We were quoted 25k by Rawson for floating stairs last week.
Leona33
Hi all,

Thanks!

We were quoted 25k by Rawson for floating stairs last week.
I was hoping other Rawson customers might be able to let me know - strip lighting in shower niches ... I’ve been advised (by Rawson) that Rawson don’t ‘do’ shower niche lighting. Can anyone else confirm this, &/or let me know if they’ve had this done by Rawson? I feel like I question every time they tell me 'no' at this stage, as there are so many things they've told me they don't do that I've since found out is not correct. Thanks in advance.
Has anyone built with Rawson in Canberra recently? How was the experience?
somebol
Has anyone built with Rawson in Canberra recently? How was the experience?

Hi there - I'm about to commence building with them, at contact stage now. I am happy to answer anything that may help up to this stage.
Good morning to all!

We received the Council Submission Plans from our Rawson PCA yesterday. I noticed several discrepancy based on tender and post contract variation. I know that this means a bit of delay. We will thoroughly finish the review this weekend. And will discuss this with PCA on coming this first hour this coming Monday. Were you charge additional fee for these? What were your experience? We plan to sign the sheets/pages that were all correct and make notes on those changes.

First home building is a steep learning curve and still looking forward for the start of the build!

Thanks!
Anyone had experience with the Rawson Tailored offering? The Keough/Nara designs on display look quite good to me, but not sure if anyone has actually built those homes?
Infinite-Justice
Anyone had experience with the Rawson Tailored offering? The Keough/Nara designs on display look quite good to me, but not sure if anyone has actually built those homes?

I've opted to build a Keough. Haven't seen or heard of any others that are doing the same though. I made this choice 3 weeks prior to their move across to the Tailored offering.
Leona33
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Ours were 4-10-4 (4mm glass, 10mm gap) however that’s a few years ago, although I doubt the standard will change much
Kofi B
Infinite-Justice

I've opted to build a Keough. Haven't seen or heard of any others that are doing the same though. I made this choice 3 weeks prior to their move across to the Tailored offering.

Did you make lots of changes to the floorplan? Not sure whether Tailored is anything more than charging additional fees for what Rawson had been doing anyway, ie changing layout to suit the customer requirements?
Infinite-Justice
Kofi B
Infinite-Justice

Did you make lots of changes to the floorplan? Not sure whether Tailored is anything more than charging additional fees for what Rawson had been doing anyway, ie changing layout to suit the customer requirements?

We made quite a lot of changes to the floor plan such as adding a study on the ground floor, adjusting the kitchen etc.

You’ve nailed it. Customisation is just overhead for a volume builder so they’ve started charging for the luxury of it. Although, I think there are some elements of expertise they’ve added to the process which isn’t so bad.
Related
18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

24/02/2024
Building in Vineyard with Rawson

Building A New House

Just started the Build process for Chifley 42 with Rawson homes, will keep you all posted with the Build progress.

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum