Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Rawson Homes - General Thread

Page 37 of 41
What is the purpose of interim OC if landscape isn't a requirenment of FOC?

When should I have the certifer come to have the FOC after handover?

It's painful I gather much information from council and SEPP websites, and the more questions I am having....
Cookieng
What is the purpose of interim OC if landscape isn't a requirenment of FOC?

When should I have the certifer come to have the FOC after handover?

It's painful I gather much information from council and SEPP websites, and the more questions I am having....

Interim just allows you to live in the home whilst you still might have some minor things to do such as a driveway. I have read that interim OC are finishing on the 1st of September but you should get yours before then.
Is anyone happy with the Taubmans 3 coat paint Rawson use? Ours is really chalky and marks very easily.. nothing like their display homes, which use Dulux.. We spoke to our neighbour who also built with Rawson and their paint is the same. Almost feels like the entire house will need to be repainted after a few years.
Huhness
Is anyone happy with the Taubmans 3 coat paint Rawson use? Ours is really chalky and marks very easily.. nothing like their display homes, which use Dulux.. We spoke to our neighbour who also built with Rawson and their paint is the same. Almost feels like the entire house will need to be repainted after a few years.

We have just built and the paint job is pretty poor. I don’t believe it’s 3 coats.
Huhness

Ive used Taubmans endure on my current property personally and after 3 years has held up great with one coat of primer and two coats of top coat on exterior.

I dare say that the rawson painters would be diluting the product and possibly doing one coat of primer and one top coat otherwise two thin top coats of diluted product...

Disappointing to hear, as I've spent about 6 weeks on my existing property painting it, I figured when I moved into my new rawson house it wouldn't need doing for 10 years!
Hi All, happy to see so many sharing their stories regarding the house construction journey with Rawson. I am new to this site and would like to be benefited with everyone experience here. I have signed house and land contract with Rawson in Schofields area and currently at the stage of Plan presentation where they will also finalize my exterier colors for CDC application. Any idea how long Rawson takes to come back with the requested changes and their cost impacts ? Also, if any of you have included fire place with Rawson and share the idea of how much they charge for it.

Thanks
Vin
Hi fellow, does anyone have any idea how much Rawson generally charge for Glass splash back in Kitchen. I have been told that due to cooktop heat the glass splash back comes of high temperature rating and can cost in $2K range. I am trying to decide whether to go for glass splash back or stay with tiles to control the cost. Any idea will be helpful.
The glass splashback used to be included in their promotions, but they have had it listed at $2500 a few years ago for the balmoral, so interestingly the price hasnt changed too much.

It used to be decoglaze, not sure if they still supply that.
Thanks Lux for the information. Probably I need to explore more options as well, since this is not part of the inclusions to me. I am waiting for my plan presentation is due on 25th Feb, so I would be getting formal quote from them. Lets see how it goes.
Before they changed their pricing model and now have something like 24 packages or something according their brochure, they used to have upgrade price lists for their display home where you could see each item cost.

I guess this is how they get their huge retail price for $40k for $999 sort of deals.

You might be able to delete the tiles and do a splashback yourself later but if they do it, the credit for tiles might not really be worth it.

Its a bit like money exchange buy/sell, say you want tiles somewhere. that could be $1500. But if a house already had those included and you dont want them that would might be an $800 credit or something.

Add things now when you can put pressure on price. If after you've signed tender or something and want to add something they're not going to give such a good price.

Once you've got all your upgrades priced, ask what they can add in for no cost. So I'd suggest getting your 'dream home' costed and then drop items that aren't value for money.

You dont need to sign the tender on the day etc, don't get pressured.
Hi Lux, since I have gone with the house and land package I have lost the edge for further negotiation. My contract is already signed, so at the moment, to me it is take it or leave it.

I have majority of stuffs already in the package as Your home your choice which is like 50K worth of upgades. It just glass splashback is not there. I did check long back with Clarendon and they were giving figure of some $600, however, with Rawson the tender presentor told me to be ready for some amount around $2K.
Ah ok.. your well well on your way to a new home then

You could always go with tiles and see if it really make a difference when you move in.

Congratulations
Thanks Lux. I have anyways started another thread for the build. Will keep on posting how the process goes.
vin83
Hi fellow, does anyone have any idea how much Rawson generally charge for Glass splash back in Kitchen. I have been told that due to cooktop heat the glass splash back comes of high temperature rating and can cost in $2K range. I am trying to decide whether to go for glass splash back or stay with tiles to control the cost. Any idea will be helpful.

For a mirror splashback they wanted to charge us $4,020
We got quotes and can get the same thing done after handover for $1,870
Hi rob, $4k for mirror splash back looks exorbitant. Would you mind sharing how long your kitchen cooktop bench is and whats the glass size they offered to you.
Hi Folks, need one more guidance or experience of yours. During my exterior selection, i am also going to select the external door color. Since, I have selected the Living prestige package, I have got Blonde Oak 2340x1024 meter door as entrance one.
I am unable to figure if stain coloring of the door in red is part of standard or comes as an upgrade. The same goes to Cedar timber frame and Timber beam balcony.

If anyone have gone through with the same and share some insights. I have raised this query to my PCA but not sure if they going to respond in time or discuss directly at my plan presentation.
Just linking this thread from another section of the forums in which a 2019 built Rawson Huntley 31 has a leak in the garage.
I hope the owner gets a better response from Rawson instead of the 'claim it on insurance'.

Builder denied the new home warranty for the leak on garage
luxbuild Good idea. Rawson Homes now has the opportunity to publicly demonstrate to their potential customers how they behave when required to rectify defects inevitable in most new builds, after the final payment is made. westbourne 's issue is urgent. Water leaks particularly should be fixed urgently as they can lead to further structural and property damage, including mould infestations which are a health concern.
From Rawson Homes Warranty Team:

The warranty provided on a home is typically broken down into three different sections/time frames:

90 day/13 week minor defect period:

This typically covers the home for the initial settling in period and is designed to capture any additional items that become apparent in this timeframe, which haven't been capture during the Practical Completion inspection and sign off process.

Refer to standard clauses of the building contract (extracted below):

2 year statutory warranty period:

In the initial 2 year period after Practical Completion, if any defects become apparent that fall outside the required standards and tolerances, they can be deemed as a defect. Cracking in internal linings that become apparent in excess of 1mm in width, for example.

Six year structural (major defects) warranty:

Once the 2 year statutory warranty has expired, your home is then only covered for structural warranty (major defects), through to six years from Practical Completion. Below is the definition of what major defect means for your reference.

Major defect means:

(a) a defect in a major element of a building that is attributable to defective design, defective or faulty workmanship, defective materials, or a failure to comply with the structural performance requirements of the National Construction Code (or any combination of these), and that causes, or is likely to cause:
(i) the inability to inhabit or use the building (or part of the building) for its intended purpose, or
(ii) the destruction of the building or any part of the building, or
(iii) a threat of collapse of the building or any part of the building, or
b) a defect of a kind that is prescribed by the regulations as a major defect.

Refer to standard clauses of the building contract (extracted below):

Part 2C of the Home Building Act 1989 should also be referred to. Whilst all sections need to be considered, the main reference points are section 18B and 18E.

https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/vi ... t2c/sec18b

https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/vi ... t2c/sec18e

The above warranties are Rawson Homes obligations, but there are also obligations on the home owners, which are relevant to these warranties as well. For example where landscaping works are being completed by others, outside Rawson Homes building contract, it is the owners/landscape designers and installer's responsibility to ensure that surface drainage and finished landscaped ground levels are installed in accordance with the Building Code of Australia (BCA) www.abcb.gov.au. Notwithstanding who completes the landscaping, the owner has an ongoing obligation to maintain drainage systems after the site is handed over to the owner.

Refer to the NSW Guides to Standards and Tolerances 2017:

https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/__da ... rances.pdf

Is the warranty void if the owner completes landscaping after handover?

The statutory warranty provided under the Home Building Act is not voided by reason of the owner carrying out their own landscaping, however if the defect/s is/are attributed to the landscaping such as insufficient or improper drainage etc then, the warranty in relation to the defects which arise as a result of this failure is void. Rawson will not be responsible for rectifying building defects which are caused by work you undertake after handover.

Refer to Paragraph 2.1 in the NSW Guides to Standards and Tolerances 2017 (referred to above) and Special Conditions of the Building Contract (extracted below):

Note: the above special condition may have a different number from building contract to building contract but will be included in all contracts.
Note - Rawson Homes standard metal roof design does not comply with the national construction code and is likely to leak when subject to wind driven rain. Thousands of Rawson homes may have this design. Rawson are required by law for rectify this defect on existing homes under warranty, as well as fix any damage caused, per this recent case example: viewtopic.php?p=1865517#p1865517 Don't accept amy BS from Rawson that the roof is compliant or to claim on your insurance. Insurance will not pay claims based on defective building works.
Related
18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

24/02/2024
Building in Vineyard with Rawson

Building A New House

Just started the Build process for Chifley 42 with Rawson homes, will keep you all posted with the Build progress.

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum