Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Rawson Homes - General Thread

Page 19 of 41
SteveMc
Hi MS.

Add you can see the hub/ LAN switch in your wall rack connects to all your wall plates inside the house.
Any gateway needs to be colocated with this switch otherwise you wouldn't have enough ports to connect all your equipment.

It should be something like this.
Nbn lead in -> gateway -> LAN switch -> wall outlets

Thanks for that speedy response, Steve.

Does that mean I need to connect the Getaway modem inside the home hub? Do you mind posting some pictures of your nbn/modem set up? I'm sorry .. I have no idea how to set this up

Alternatively, where can I go to get some technical help? Telstra? Geeks2U?
MorningStar
Does anybody know what the Hills Home Hub actually do?
We have FTTP in our house and I have a Telstra Getaway modem to set up the nbn/internet connection with.
Where does this modem go? In the garage with the hub? Does the WAN cable goes to a Cat6 data point inside the house?
I'm not much of a techie person. Any help would be greatly appreciated

The Hills Homehub is rather outdated in this day and age and is not big enough for your NBN (TFFP) NTD to be mounted inside.

Homehub was is modular system that allows you to terminate your analogue phone lines, terminate you internal cat 5 cable have a hub and patch between. It also allows for termination and splitting of TV antenna etc.

Good in the day, but these days bit of overkill and a waste of money.

Several other companies make NBN specific termination cabinets that will do all of the above, and have the NTD mounted inside at a far cheaper cost. Or mount a 19" data rack somwhere.

In my case I have an external NTD which to me is ideal. I am not sure how common this is, where I live NBN was built by Transact to their standards and then sold to NBN. Internally I have a 19" rack hidden away in a cupboard that terminates all my internal data (I have about 50 outlets), as well as my TV and Foxtel. Overkill of course, but it is what I do for a living.
I don't have a home hub nor nbn, but yes, you need to connect your gateway modem in the home hub wall rack. Follow the setup card in your gateway pack. Your wall socket will plug into the 'internet' port on the gateway. Then the LAN port on the gateway plugs into your LAN switch. Easy

AJW
MorningStar
We have FTTP in our house and I have a Telstra Getaway modem to set up the nbn/internet connection with.
Where does this modem go? In the garage with the hub? Does the WAN cable goes to a Cat6 data point inside the house?

The Hills Homehub is rather outdated in this day and age and is not big enough for your NBN (TFFP) NTD to be mounted inside.

Homehub was is modular system that allows you to terminate your analogue phone lines, terminate you internal cat 5 cable have a hub and patch between. It also allows for termination and splitting of TV antenna etc.

Several other companies make NBN specific termination cabinets that will do all of the above, and have the NTD mounted inside at a far cheaper cost. Or mount a 19" data rack somwhere.

In my case I have an external NTD which to me is ideal. I am not sure how common this is, where I live NBN was built by Transact to their standards and then sold to NBN. Internally I have a 19" rack hidden away in a cupboard that terminates all my internal data (I have about 50 outlets), as well as my TV and Foxtel. Overkill of course, but it is what I do for a living.

Haha. Like this?

SteveMc
AJW
MorningStar

Haha. Like this?

Yes that is an example of 19" rack, though I would annoyed if that was my place, why not terminate that data IN THE RACK. But yes that is the idea, and maybe a bit lower too.

This is mine!

Foxtel on top. (dish top right 4 sockets)

TV below it (spiltter right 4 sockets)

3 rows of internal outlets

Bottom row goes to the NBN NTD then room for a 19" mount switch below which wasn't installed when this shot was taken. It has also since been cleaned up a bit too!

Below that I have a shelf for my firewall which also connects to my ceiling mounted WiFi access points, my WiFi controller (the pin Rasbery Pi on the left) and my home automation interface which is on the right. But overkill for most people and most homes, though do highly recommend the ceiling mounted WiFi access points which is the thing with the blue glow at the bottom of the stairs. Also have another upstairs and about to install a 3rd in the garage.

Yes, this can be quite confusing. I'll send you a schematic for you to follow which should be pretty easy to follow. You don't need to get someone in to help, if you can get this setup, you'll know how everything hangs together and be able to fix it if something does go wrong.

I'll send something over shortly

Bear
Hello Everyone,

We also installed Hills Home Hub by Rawson onto the Garage - Since we moved to the house last week no TV signal - my question is does the builder connect digital TV antenna onto the HUB or they leave it inside near the roof , if near the roof should we then need to install digital TV antenna outside the roof by JIM Antenna or someone else - any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers
Jaman
Jayman1
Hello Everyone,

We also installed Hills Home Hub by Rawson onto the Garage - Since we moved to the house last week no TV signal - my question is does the builder connect digital TV antenna onto the HUB or they leave it inside near the roof , if near the roof should we then need to install digital TV antenna outside the roof by JIM Antenna or someone else - any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers
Jaman

They do not instal an antenna as standard although i imagine you could fo as a variation. They will have left a coil of cable in the roof space. We got ours installed for around 400 after handover.

Thanks Galedpk for the quick response. I have not been told regarding TV Antenna during our Electrical appointments. Hills Home Hub cost us $1450 and I thought it would make everything up and running - now I need to install TV antenna outside the roof as well as NBN said they need to install TPD/PCD box to activate NBN connection.
Jayman1
Thanks Galedpk for the quick response. I have not been told regarding TV Antenna during our Electrical appointments. Hills Home Hub cost us $1450 and I thought it would make everything up and running - now I need to install TV antenna outside the roof as well as NBN said they need to install TPD/PCD box to activate NBN connection.
Just as a double check make sure that the splitter in your hub is plugged into the power supply in side the hub. Then check tv reception. Even if you have an antenna you will not get tv reception if it isnt plugged in.

Thanks- will do double check again the Hills Home Hub and any TV splitter plugged in and connected - otherwise need to install TV antenna on roof - By any chance do you know who are the electrical contractor for Rawson Home.
Jayman1
Thanks- will do double check again the Hills Home Hub and any TV splitter plugged in and connected - otherwise need to install TV antenna on roof - By any chance do you know who are the electrical contractor for Rawson Home.

Hi Jayman, Rawson don’t install antennas at all. If you are near the hills district, Norwest antenna did ours and were fast efficient and priced reasonably.

@Jayman1: Our antenna was installed by Jim's Antennas ( 0425 815 259 ).t was the Matchmaster premium type with signal amplifier/booster, which we paid for $330.

Did anyone get rebated stacker/sliding/bi-fold doors? I've got a rebated slab for my stacker doors to the alfresco. I'll be doing tiling after handover and my SS has flagged that the doors will essentially be sitting on timber (when viewed from the alfresco) when the block is handed over. Was this the case with everyone else? While I can see the point of view, I'm just conscious that the door won't sit where it should once I remove the timber and replace it with tiles (different thickness etc.) and the acceptance of responsibility if it becomes a warranty item (I.e. cat and mouse with the builder blaming the tiler and vice versa)
Thanks Guys - all sorted, installed Antenna and Free to Air TV is now up and running - lots of confusion when you moving to a new house and there were no clear instructions on such things but getting there.
iceberg.
Did anyone get rebated stacker/sliding/bi-fold doors? I've got a rebated slab for my stacker doors to the alfresco. I'll be doing tiling after handover and my SS has flagged that the doors will essentially be sitting on timber (when viewed from the alfresco) when the block is handed over. Was this the case with everyone else? While I can see the point of view, I'm just conscious that the door won't sit where it should once I remove the timber and replace it with tiles (different thickness etc.) and the acceptance of responsibility if it becomes a warranty item (I.e. cat and mouse with the builder blaming the tiler and vice versa)

Hey iceberg, I can’t answer your question only that we are doing the same thing for our alfresco area (stacker doors and tiling after handover). I’m not sure if our stacker doors are sitting on timber or not (haven’t checked), so I can have a look and let you know.

Hi all, has anyone building with Rawson upgraded their coloured concrete driveway to aggregate? Does anyone have an understanding of how much this would be per square metre and whether this can upgraded mid-build (at the frame stage at the moment). Thanks.

KateAndDuke
Hi all, has anyone building with Rawson upgraded their coloured concrete driveway to aggregate? Does anyone have an understanding of how much this would be per square metre and whether this can upgraded mid-build (at the frame stage at the moment). Thanks.

My understanding is that they don't do exposed aggregate driveways.

We asked recently at our external selections.
KateAndDuke
iceberg.

Hey iceberg, I can’t answer your question only that we are doing the same thing for our alfresco area (stacker doors and tiling after handover). I’m not sure if our stacker doors are sitting on timber or not (haven’t checked), so I can have a look and let you know.

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand this. Aren't the stacker doors on the actually house slab, just with at a slight lower level? This is ours when it was being laid, so it has three levels; alfresco, bit for stacker door runners, house - so where does the timber come in? Have I missed something?

Bear
TheBear
Hi,

I'm not sure I understand this. Aren't the stacker doors on the actually house slab, just with at a slight lower level? This is ours when it was being laid, so it has three levels; alfresco, bit for stacker door runners, house - so where does the timber come in? Have I missed something?

Bear

Yeah that's how my slab looked when it was poured. The middle layer slab isn't as wide as the stacker door runners so you're left with overhang over the lower alfresco slab.

Rawson Homes / Tak - any comments on this? Handing over a house with doors sitting on timber doesn't seem like a nice finish.
Related
18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

24/02/2024
Building in Vineyard with Rawson

Building A New House

Just started the Build process for Chifley 42 with Rawson homes, will keep you all posted with the Build progress.

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum