Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Sloping Narrow site: Hamptons style build. Cabinetry

Page 23 of 28
sparrowsnest
I love your floors! They look amazing!

many thanks. i cant wait to see them finished. now the fun part, picking a stain colour! lol
Are you going to stain all/ part of your stairs as well? We’ve got to still pick a color for that

Dani_J
Are you going to stain all/ part of your stairs as well? We’ve got to still pick a color for that

Yeah all stained. The floor guy will match colour when he does the stairs.

I got the stairs guy to leave me a few samples of the treads so we can do some testers.

Good idea!

Front door handle arrived today. We got everything from handle house in QLD. Thing is huge!

I went past the site on the weekend. Lots happening.

All of the 5 sets of stairs are in. Just waiting for handrails etc. They look great very happy.

I'm currently doing my head in trying to work out the size and location of our island bench!!!!.

Because the living room is only 6.4m wide, I don't really want the island to encroach into the walkway down the middle of the room too much. Also as you come down the steps to the living room I don't want the island to hit you straight away.

So my latest thinking is:
-Cabinets 600mm against wall
- A Gap between island and wall cabinets of 1100mm
- island 1100mm deep and 3100mm long.
- gap between fridge cavity and island of about 1.7m

This will overhang slightly into the walkway by about 50-100mm but think it is still ok. I was trying to visualise the spaces using my measuring tape and some wood pieces! Oh the fun.

Open to suggestions if anyone has any!!

We also have another issue. Want to try and remove the kicker from the walk in wardrobe cabinets as we want to try to see more of the parquetry underneath them!

Master:

WIR:

Good progress and great to hear tradies working on weekends.

If I was to be picky, I would avoid the overhang of the island beyond the refrigerator side wall. Keep in mind any bar stools you may want to add, which could also take up some space. You could push your island back a little as you seem to have plenty of space b/w the benchtop and the island. This should also put it Inline with your ceiling bulkhead.

The recommended minimum space b/w 900 - 1200 mm (https:/www.houzz.com.au/ideabooks/30733537/listkey-measurements-to-consider-when-designing-the-perfect-kitchen-island)

sinbox
Good progress and great to hear tradies working on weekends.

If I was to be picky, I would avoid the overhang of the island beyond the refrigerator side wall. Keep in mind any bar stools you may want to add, which could also take up some space. You could push your island back a little as you seem to have plenty of space b/w the benchtop and the island. This should also put it Inline with your ceiling bulkhead.

The recommended minimum space b/w 900 - 1200 mm (https:/www.houzz.com.au/ideabooks/30733537/listkey-measurements-to-consider-when-designing-the-perfect-kitchen-island)

thanks heaps! yes I also thought similar however our current rental has a 1000mm gap between island and wall bench, and its a little tight for us, so wanted to get just a tad more room so we landed at 1100.

I considered making the island not as deep (1000 vs 1100) but the stone guy said it would look long and skinny if its only 1000mm wide... so not sure.

my best solution was to do it like above, and just make sure the bar stools the wife buys dont have a backing on them so they can tuck right under the bench.
oh and the ceiling bulkhead was removed
it looked funny when walking down the steps to the living room so we deleted it.
Decisions, decisions! Did you say the gap between the fridge and island is 1.7m? If so, that seems a bit far as you'd only want to be taking a few steps between. Otherwise all sounds good to me!
Dani_J
Decisions, decisions! Did you say the gap between the fridge and island is 1.7m? If so, that seems a bit far as you'd only want to be taking a few steps between. Otherwise all sounds good to me!

yeah, i played with a few figures with the measuring tape and landed on 1.7m. i might go back and show the mrs just to be sure lol...

im just conscious you walk down the steps to living space and bang the island is right in your face you know?
1.7 sounds like a really big gap. I think 1.1-1.2 would be a nice big gap

Building our first custom dream home. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
Try laying out some newspaper on the floor where the island will be and the exact size. That should help you really visualize the size and distance and decide if you are happy with it all.

Or move your furniture around at home. I moved my coffee table to the distance from the bench in my current kitchen maybe you could do that on the other side of your current bench and then make dinner on that side and see how it feels.
Hi I have a very similar kitchen layout and my only feedback is to watch the space between the island and the bench top as its super tight when you open the dishwasher. I made ours wider it's 1500 wide and our island is 2400 x 900 and it looks really good. The space works well when there are a few in the kitchen and you're not bumping into each other. I'll try and upload a pic of our floor plan. Not sure if you went for an under bench oven or a wall tower. We have an under bench so went with a wider space between the benches as part of our reasoning.

Thanks guys appreciate the help and info.

I finally sorted it all out. The stonemason came over tonight and helped me to visualise it. He was amazing.

Island will be 3.1 x 1.1
Gap between island and back wall is 1.1
Gap between island and fridge is 1.88. We got some wood to see it and it worked great. (I used my house plans initially on the floor was quite resourceful)

Also got my cabinetry and cad designs to sign off today which was good. Sadly they are running 2 weeks late on my build of cabinets so looks like I won’t be in the house till till early April

Tiling has started and I’m really happy with the tiler and our selection . He’s vein matching the pattern on most of my tiles walls to give me a really good finish. Really happy with it. Photo doesn’t quite do the tile colour justice.

I also found out today that I’m supposed to submit my gas connection request as it takes a month so lucky managed to get it put in.

That’s great you got it all worked out and can now breathe a sigh of relief!! The kitchen is going to look great judging by the 3D vis.

And those tiles - wow!
Great choice there. Really like that you’ve gone with a darker colour with lighter veining rather than the other way around which you tend to see a lot of.

Those tiles look fantastic.
Christoshizz
Dani_J
I thought I must have misread earlier that your floors were starting as you haven't got cabinetry in yet, but lo and behold, it's started! I can't wait to see this stained and finished either as I'm sure it'll come up a treat!!

Yeah the flooring guy was able to shuffle some jobs to get me started. By doing floors first the cabinets sit on top so there is no ugly quad thingy

Good move. We have the quad dilemma.

oh my, what a week.

had some massive issues with cabinetry, builder was worried that the ensuite vanity wouldnt fit and he was right - lucky managed to get cabinet guys out again to re-measure and tweak a few things.

the complexity of my build is REALLY starting to wear me down. there is literally 1000 little details that need to be worked out and most of them have an impact on eachother.

for example we wanted powerpoints on both sides of the window splashback, so one of them had to go on the joinery directly as there is no space on the wall behind (its all glass). it wasnt possible to put it in on one side due to clearance with the ovens -> so we had to compromise and do one of the powerpoints that pops up, out from the stone!

anyway, cabinets have been ordered, will be another month till install. The floor sanders have started and doors are now being hung. hopefully get some good progress over the next week.
Related
19/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

So it looks like we finally have some movement on site! Definitely later than expected, but I'll take any progress at this point. I'll drop by over the weekend to get…

23/11/2023
Maximum Garage Width - Narrow Lot (Willoughby Council NSW)

Building A New House

Thanks again for this information. If you do hear anything different, would be great to know >

8/12/2023
Narrow block design with 2 car space

General Discussion

dimensions on your original plan are inconsistent and with accurate dimensions (including site plan, upstairs and down) i could make a proper scale drawing with furniture…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum