Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Sloping Narrow site: Hamptons style build. Cabinetry

Page 2 of 28
PVBuild
Good luck with selections - fun as (or not... depending on how much you guys agree on that sort of thing).

Thanks mate. We can't agree on anything so have hired an interior designer who will hopefully help us!

Any updates Chris?

SteveMc
Any updates Chris?

Hey mate. I had more delays! Has to further update plans to remove my garage off the rear boundary as an additional soil probe test of the neighbors footings showed if I built next to his garage directly I would undermine his footings.

Still waiting for the reworked plans. Hoping to keep moving soon.

Demolition has started though! Asbestos guys came today and started removing stuff.

I managed to sell whatever I could from the house and got about 4K in total which helps.

That's a nice bonus. I assume the new structural plans will have piling or piers to support the neighbouring garage? I don't quite understand why this means you need to move it?? Surely a structural engineer has an answer to that problem.

Basically there was structural options but would have added more delays and costs to an already difficult project. Underpinning the neighbours garage wasn't feasible due to cost. So I just moved it away from his by 1m and all good.

Demo started today. They removed all of the asbestos from the place.

Last hurdle reached this week before full demo can proceed.

Overhead power is cut!

Interesting update. So all of my services have been disconnected yet by a fluke chance we found a white conduit running from the street to the house underground only buried around 10cm below garden beds!

No idea what it is. Telstra claiming it isn't theirs as the previous phone was overhead. Nothing showing on dial before you dig reports.

Only long shot I can think of is if it was Telstra Foxtel cables or something like that as there was a Foxtel point in the house. Weird

Some progress today... Demo company dropped off their excavator and demolition will kickoff tomorrow ! Finally yay!

Cracking day today!!! Demo kicked off and the guys leveled the house in less than a day.

Bloody impressed with this demo company. Honestly on such a narrow block there was no room to swing a cat and these guys operated their big machinery with ultimate precision to keep neighbouring properties safe and make minimal mess.

Very exciting. My 3 year old loved watching it too.

Nice site mate!
It's amazing how quick it comes down hey!

I'll send you through those few colours etc that you were chasing on mon.
Thanks heaps mate. We are very excited. If I can make my house look 30% as good as your last build I'll be thrilled.

We have a colour consultant appointed but I like coming in with ideas.

Block nearly cleared. Just some rubble remains. Getting there, should be done by tomorrow.

Site ready to go. Wow so happy the demo guys did a stellar job. Now have a clean site, it looks so big .

For me it's funny to think that the dirt had not seen the light of day for nearly 100 years!

Great to see it all progressing! How long until the build begins?
Hoping another month max. Just trying to finalise building contract and some pricing with the builder.

Subscribing, this looks like it's going to be a brilliant build!
Met our interior designer today. She's great. Has so many ideas but I recon she is gonna cost me a bomb lol.

The biggest thing we are struggling with is flooring choice.

Engineered timber vs solid timber (likely spotted gum).

Alrighty then. Just a little bit excited!

Contracts signed today which was a huge deal for us. My builder has been phenomenal to deal with so I'm very happy so far.

Also received our initial colour selections for the external bits from our designer. Still getting my head around all of her selections.

At the moment it's
-Monument for the colourbond
-pebble grey for the weatherboards
-pebble grey half for the trims/accents/posts
-surfmist for the aluminium windows
-surfmist for all the downpipes etc
-little Hamptons bricks in coach house colour... We went with a cheaper brick as they aren't too visible on the build and we will need the budget elsewhere. Picture sample from the website attached. I'll make a trip down soon to see them in person.

Not sure about the roof colour I'm thinking something lighter might go better but will have to think about it....

Also met with the mortgage broker today to setup finance. Big day all round.

Hello, following your build, the trickier sites have the most interesting houses I find!

How did you go about selling items from the old house before demo? Gumtree? Did the buyers just rock up and remove the items themselves? We are looking at a KDR too, and I would like to do the same.

Related
19/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

So it looks like we finally have some movement on site! Definitely later than expected, but I'll take any progress at this point. I'll drop by over the weekend to get…

23/11/2023
Maximum Garage Width - Narrow Lot (Willoughby Council NSW)

Building A New House

Thanks again for this information. If you do hear anything different, would be great to know >

8/12/2023
Narrow block design with 2 car space

General Discussion

dimensions on your original plan are inconsistent and with accurate dimensions (including site plan, upstairs and down) i could make a proper scale drawing with furniture…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum