Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

North Shore Newhaven (Sydney)

Page 1 of 9
So having viewed many blogs and websites, I've decided to startup my own build thread really to document the process and as a way to share with others what we've done. My sincere thanks to all the other home bloggers out there - you know who you are!

Well, having purchased our block of land over a year ago - mid 2015, we went through quite a journey to select our builder.

Our block being just under 600sqm has an unusually large frontage of 22m. That said then, it only has a depth of 27m. Add to that a fall of 4 m across the block but only 1.5m over the building envelope and it makes it quite a challenge to find a Project Home builder with a suitable design.

Ordinarily this type of block would have been unsuitable, but what made it attractive is the perfect north to rear aspect with stunning views unable to be built out as we are at the top of the hill. Also, when contemplating a home design with energy efficiency in mind, from what I have read, it makes sense to build a wide and shallow house where the north facing facade is maximised so that the winter sun captured is at its greatest. Thus, having a wide frontage with a north to rear aspect, works well in favour for this block.

Having spent many weekends at Homeworld visiting both Project Home Builders and Custom Home Builders, we finally decided to go with Metricon and one of their designs the Newhaven 36 Traditional Facade.

We chose the traditional facade and modified it in 4 key ways.

1) adding a front portico
2) changing the style of windows - not just for aesthetics but also for function to let in more light
3) adding 600mm eaves
4) building out of Hebel (free as part of the Love Luxury Promotion).

If you're keen to see some pics ... please click on my below link to blogspot. (I haven't worked out how to insert pics to this forum yet... if you know how, please send me a PM)

Up next ... floor plans and modifications
Bought this at the HIA Home show in Sydney earlier this year. Thought I would share since it is not only cheaper than the one offered by my Builder but it is also Smartphone compatible.

Just remember to ensure that you ask your builder/sparky to prewire your house for this and simples!

http://www.eos.com.au/home/node/934
Looking forward to following your build.
Try using Tapatalk to load pictures, I found it the easiest way to add them.
ms_prez
Looking forward to following your build.
Try using Tapatalk to load pictures, I found it the easiest way to add them.

Ms Prez - thanks! Hopefully they break ground soon, I can't wait for them to get started. Thanks for the tip too RE tapatalk, will give that a go especially since I have 2 posts to make - 1 on flooring and the 2nd on a lighting shop I visited today.
I got a chance to see a new build with a Hebel Floor over the weekend and despite having done final sign off, I asked M if it would be possible to change.

Luckily they have said yes (after getting certifier agreement) but the cost is $22k!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has got a Hebel power floor and the cost? Please Post or PM me.

In my mind the benefits are huge using the power floor.

1) Solid and level
2) Sound barrier - no need to insulate between 1st and 2nd floor, esp over the home theatre
3) Fire protection - not just cause we are in a BAL area but also from ground floor fire if the alarm were to fail
4) less worry during construction in the event of heavy rain before roof is on

Thoughts??
Lets get ready to rumble ............

Spoke to M and was advise that site start begins today ! Even had a call from my SM yesterday.

So although no work was done, the clock is officially ticking now for M. Hooray! Lets get this show on the road.

SM has asked me to remove my temporary fence this weekend so that can install theirs on Monday, happy days, will be getting on to that first thing this weekend then
Yay! so we have a fence and a pile of gravel for all weather access!...

Breaking news.... literally!

Was told by my SM that my site was cut today. Happy it's been done but would have liked to have known in advance so I could see it.

Anyway, mustn't grumble as it is very exciting to see a proper start has been made and we're on our way to our Newhaven!

Whilst out there, M had placed their sailcloth and OHS details too on the fence!

Piering is on tomorrow so will drive by for a look to see what's going on.

So piers drilled and half the formwork is up.

The lads told me the rear piers couldn't be drilled as they hit rock so the the slab will sit directly on rock. This also caused problems with setting up the rear formwork to the block as they couldn't nail or peg into the rock so will have to come back tomorrow with a drill to screw the formwork to the rock.

Also hit two problems when piering.

1) The drill scraped an old concrete encased stormwater pipe. It was not shown on any drawings as it was supposed to have been removed. Took a little time to find out from the developer it is inactive. In the absence of that info, the slab engineer who happened to be on site to check the pier holes said to reinforce with some steel as a precaution. Lucky there was some on hand in small quantity for this.

2) During site cut they uncovered the remains of the trunk of a gum tree I had been told was ground out. Apparently the tree remover only grinded down about 25cm. As it's in the path of the stormwater line and is a termite risk, i have to get a contractor in to grind it down further.

Nice, one of my best friends built the Newhaven a couple of years ago. His house is beautiful.
dulie
Nice, one of my best friends built the Newhaven a couple of years ago. His house is beautiful.

Thanks Dulie! It's all a bit scary actually as we haven't even seen the display but the layout looks good so I guess that's all that counts right!

I've been reading your thread with interest. Seems like your build is coming along nicely too.

Wow did the problems encountered during site works cost you more than expected?

beac_faith

Hi Beac,

It shouldn't. Its a fixed price contract and no one has said to me though this is going to cost extra, please sign a variation.

I will wait to see the Slab invoice I guess.
nomnomnom
beac_faith

Hi Beac,

It shouldn't. Its a fixed price contract and no one has said to me though this is going to cost extra, please sign a variation.

I will wait to see the Slab invoice I guess.

I think I remember vaguely our sales consultant mentioned the cost for site works isn't fixed until they actually start.. Because they can't guarantee what they'll find/encounter so that is worrying us.

Small site update, I noticed four of the pier holes were unfilled and one was also about 3/4 sitting outside the formwork last week. The concreting team fixed it by widening the hole and filling it up today. Unfortunately the slab pour due for tomorrow is now delayed until Sat. A few days lost but at least it will be done right. I've also included a mini time lapse video
of the concrete going into the pier holes manually. Usually done by pump,
today down by hand.

https://vimeo.com/188614756

Our slab was finally poured today despite being rescheduled twice. Third time lucky as they say!

Shame thing is the work is a little rough and hasty as shown in the below pics. As my block is on a slope, I appreciate it is a bit of a challenge but they did add nearly $35k in site costs and charges for the drop edge beams so they are more than being fairly paid for the job being done.

Issues I picked up were

- poor level of finish on drop edge beams (looks almost like pebble render instead of a smooth finish
- corners missing when the form work was removed
- pipes not set straight and at a slight angle
- slab not level in areas visible to the eye

I'm not gonna lie, I was actually a bit gutted so I called my Building inspector immediately and have engaged them to check the slab. To anyone contemplating an inspection company, I highly recommend the team at Tyrrells. Alex there has been fantastic in talking with me about various issues and I am confident that with their help these things can be brought to the attention of M for resolution. It's just a shame that we have to ask for reworks where I believe with a little more care and attention these things could be avoided.

Anyway, any progress is good progress so onward with the journey.

Final pic is of a celebration steak for dinner tonight to mark the occasion that the foundations of our home have been laid!

nomnomnom
Our slab was finally poured today despite being rescheduled twice. Third time lucky as they say!

Shame thing is the work is a little rough and hasty as shown in the below pics. As my block is on a slope, I appreciate it is a bit of a challenge but they did add nearly $35k in site costs and charges for the drop edge beams so they are more than being fairly paid for the job being done.

Issues I picked up were

- poor level of finish on drop edge beams (looks almost like pebble render instead of a smooth finish
- corners missing when the form work was removed
- pipes not set straight and at a slight angle
- slab not level in areas visible to the eye

I'm not gonna lie, I was actually a bit gutted so I called my Building inspector immediately and have engaged them to check the slab. To anyone contemplating an inspection company, I highly recommend the team at Tyrrells. Alex there has been fantastic in talking with me about various issues and I am confident that with their help these things can be brought to the attention of M for resolution. It's just a shame that we have to ask for reworks where I believe with a little more care and attention these things could be avoided.

Anyway, any progress is good progress so onward with the journey.

Final pic is of a celebration steak for dinner tonight to mark the occasion that the foundations of our home have been laid!

Wow that's one good looking slab Nom (oh and the steak)

You'll have a house soon enough

Hopefully you don't get landed with any hidden costs with the tree stump, lucky you if it was included in fixed costs

Ours says we pay for those extra costs

Best of luck with your progress and look forward to following

Thanks Emmz. The tree will cost us an extra $300 to have it ground out. *sigh* another cost really but better to get it done than to leave it there and risk a termite nest.

But we have a slab and a loo now so that's all good. Next week is completion of drainage works and installation of stormwater lines and our Council required Raingarden. I'm hoping we will have frames up by xmas and hopefully even some Hebel as well. fingers crossed.

nomnomnom
Thanks Emmz. The tree will cost us an extra $300 to have it ground out. *sigh* another cost really but better to get it done than to leave it there and risk a termite nest.

But we have a slab and a loo now so that's all good. Next week is completion of drainage works and installation of stormwater lines and our Council required Raingarden. I'm hoping we will have frames up by xmas and hopefully even some Hebel as well. fingers crossed.

So good to get Hebel. It was too expensive here in Melbourne, I'm looking forward to seeing another Hebel dream

Thanks Emmz. Once the render is on, it should look awesome. I actually need to write up a post on my blog about Hebel.

Piece of Hebel trivia.... Did you know that Hebel powerpanel comes in 2 thicknesses - 75mm and 90mm?

The 75mm one is called Powerpanel XL. guess what XL stands for...... extra lite!

I couldn't really see the benefits of having a thinner panel with more air and thinner reo so I asked M to change my Hebel to the 90mm panel or I wanted to go back to Brick and they agreed!

Related
7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

27/09/2023
Custom home builder in north east Melbourne

Building A New House

Hi, can anyone recommend a custom home builder who can build in north east area? Looking to build a custom 4-br energy-efficient home with a max budget of 750k. If they…

11/12/2023
GJ Gardner Homes North East Melbourne

Building A New House

May I ask why you chose not to use GJ Gardiner? I'm actually meeting with one of the sales guys tomorrow for an appointment. Definitely not signing anything yet…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum