Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

{Dawn} SE Melb Build - Done and dusted!

Page 42 of 147
cant decide
The white shimmer will look great with the timber, will the tiles be the same as the bathroom? I wish I had upgraded the benches too but I had to stop somewhere. A couple of nice looking storage containers/baskets would look great on top of the linen. It is huge you will need a step ladder to reach the top shelf.

Not sure, they should be the same as either the bathroom or the kitchen.

The bathroom is 200x400m white gloss tiles with white grout, while the kitchen is 100x300 white gloss tiles with dark grey grout.

I was lucky the benches were upgraded to stone free of charge (well included in the base price).
I also got lucky the builder didn't charge me for a lot of things, or only minimally. I asked to change the laundry trough to a cabinet with inbuilt sink, which I think I paid about $400 for, but they are also doing a stone benchtop and tiling along the length of the benchtop free of charge

Hehe, yeah actually storage containers are a good idea, although I'm going to have so much storage I probably won't need it until I have a family.

Yeah, I will definitely need a step ladder to get to the top of the cupboard!! I also need to one for the kitchen. I had my overheads extended by 300mm.. so they are pretty tall!!! I got lucky there too, was charged $150 to extend them by 150mm.. but they did 300mm instead XD

Basically I gave my builder a list of changes I wanted, we discussed them and I agreed to remove some due to expected costs, he priced the remaining changes into my quote... but when my builder sent my plans off to be done, he sent the original list.. so I didn't get charged for a lot of the changes. Like upgraded benchtop from 800mm to 900mm wide, and adding a cupboard on the back of the bench
Kat_1025
Haha no worries about my thread. I don't mind

Looks the same as one of the displays near me so definitely not odd. I love that laminate colour more and more too! Will be fantastic.

Have you heard anymore from your builder this week??

I have heard a bit from the builder. I paid my variation last night and emailed them to let them know, within an hour I had a reply!! Wish I could get replies that quick when I have questions XD

I also called my builder today to chat, and the updates were... the tiler is back at work, should be doing my house next week (so won't bother going to see the house this weekend). I also arranged to drop off my 'owner supplied' lights for them to install (will be nice to get them out of the way, they take up a lot of room!!).

In regards to a completion date, nothing so far, but I did query what the likelihood of my moving in before Easter would be.. builder was non-committal, it was sort of "its possible, but depends on.. xyz". So I won't hold my breath ;-;
On another topic, got a huge water bill!! Well I think its huge, but what do you guys think? Is this normal for the area? My builder would pay the usage, but hardly seems worth bothering as that is the cheapest part of the bill.

Water bill for last 3 months is $168!! Of which $124 is service charges, and $24 is other changes, only about $30 is usage..

Is this normal? Should I be concerned with the high service charges?
aloenyx
On another topic, got a huge water bill!! Well I think its huge, but what do you guys think? Is this normal for the area? My builder would pay the usage, but hardly seems worth bothering as that is the cheapest part of the bill.

Water bill for last 3 months is $168!! Of which $124 is service charges, and $24 is other changes, only about $30 is usage..

Is this normal? Should I be concerned with the high service charges?

That's cheap in comparison to Sydney. We pay about $200 in service charges and then our water usage is usually around $65-70 per quarter for our apartment.

Well that makes me feel better. Sort of.. XD

When I rented my apartment I paid about $15 a quarter!! And they want $168 before I even move in
But I guess that's the difference in renting and buying!
aloenyx
Well that makes me feel better. Sort of.. XD

When I rented my apartment I paid about $15 a quarter!! And they want $168 before I even move in
But I guess that's the difference in renting and buying!

We need to move to Melbourne
I hate to think what ours will go up to when we have a house. Don't even get me started on electricity!

Haha.. I'm getting a bit of bill shock, I just figured the bills would be similar to what I had in my apartment *sigh*

This house is getting expensive!!!!! And I don't even live in it yet
Yeah water is much more when you're buying than renting, not looking forward to that, we asked around friends when we did our post build budget to get a bit of an idea. Good news is the others should be similar, we're hoping our electricity might actually go down, we only have electric heating in this freezer box of a house. I'm sure gas will be much more to balance it out though.
Thanks Bank
At the moment rent and storage unit fees are sucking up a lot of money, will be glad when I'm in the new house and I can use that money for other things.

I tried to do a post budget, but its all a bit complicated.. I'll just wait till I move.
Busy busy day! We're planning for a huge garage sale at my parents next weekend. Hoping I can sell enough to pay for my bunny's new enclosure which I will probably be picking up tomorrow from the rabbit refuge (while also scoping out potential girlfriends for him XD).

Trying to convince my parents to build a house.. *being pushy* ..
Ahhh garage sale sounds like a great idea! Wanna sell all our stuff for us too? We have sooooo much stuff to get rid of.

Hopefully you sell enough to cover the costs and get your little guy a girlfriend ??

Haha!! No thanks XD I actually was hoping to go off for the day and come home to find my parents had done it all, but no go!!

We have a lot toooo... the house is going to feel so empty afterwards, and then I move out.. so more stuff will go. Hoping all my stuff sells, mostly just DVDs, book, bags, shoes and the rabbit related stuff for me. If my big hutch sells I'll be happy, I was planning to take it with me but its too big!

Hehe.. I can't wait to get him a new girl.. he needs a friend. This morning I was trying to get sorted and he kept jumping up on me and wanting cuddles XD He's living in my room atm, so cute.
aloenyx
Haha!! No thanks XD I actually was hoping to go off for the day and come home to find my parents had done it all, but no go!!

We have a lot toooo... the house is going to feel so empty afterwards, and then I move out.. so more stuff will go. Hoping all my stuff sells, mostly just DVDs, book, bags, shoes and the rabbit related stuff for me. If my big hutch sells I'll be happy, I was planning to take it with me but its too big!

Hehe.. I can't wait to get him a new girl.. he needs a friend. This morning I was trying to get sorted and he kept jumping up on me and wanting cuddles XD He's living in my room atm, so cute.
I miss having a bunny, they are adorable!! Was contemplating getting another one, but living here where they're illegal, makes me worried if it gets sick again. Can't trust vets up here and it's too far of a drive to the border to take it if it's an emergency. I can't wait to see your new one

Coral Homes Avoca 25 in Gainsborough Greens Gold Coast

Viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81406
It sucks you can't have them in QLD
I could never live up there for that alone.

I will definitely share when I find him the right girl.
So I asked my cat breeder if she could share more kitten photos with her facebook group, instead she just sent me a pic of a kitten. Then last night she posed a heap of kitten pics, ... eee which one is mine!!!!

I'm too shy to ask her outright, I don't want her to think I'm pushy.
How cute! I would just ask? I'm sure she gets it all the time. People want to know. Make sure you post pics when you know 😍

I'm too shy XD I ... am trying to ask without being obvious. I finally plucked up the courage to ask her if I was getting a kitten the other week and she said she had one ear marked for me.. but I don't know which one!

This may or may not be my future kitty

Went to the bunny refuge.
They have some really gorgeous bunnies available for my little boys best friend. I know its going to be hard to decide who to bring home... I fell in love with a lovely cream and grey girl, softest fur. XD
Sending all my owner supplied, builder installed lights off to the builder tomorrow. Hope they don't get lost or broken!! They were expensive. Just debating on whether to send the bulbs to the builder too, as they were quite expensive.. $25 for one bulb!!

Can't wait to see them installed. Especially the hallway pendant.. it should be pretty fantastic.
Exciting news! I'm going to meet my new kitten on Saturday. He or she will be 8 weeks old. I can't wait to find out what they look like..
Have to think of a name.
Related
20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

25/12/2023
Foil wrap not done before brickwork

General Discussion

I am in the same situation, would you be able to give some insights in to this? I am in SA

1/09/2023
Things can be done after construction.

Building A New House

Depends what you're current inclusions are, but we're not including wardrobes and will just use second hand ones until we can save later on to get them built. Also have a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum