Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

{Dawn} SE Melb Build - Done and dusted!

Page 41 of 147
Hoping everything is OK with your bunny.

That's great all your quotes are done and signed off now. Hoping to see a post with your tiles this weekend xx

Me too.

Don't know if I will make it to the house this weekend. Think will depend on whether my builder comes through with a completion date.
Over it

3 weeks to end of march...can they do it?
Builder has sent me the official invoice for the variations today asking for full payment of $7,400. Do you think its safe to pay upfront? I'm thinking cause its through the builder it shouldn't be an issue..

Hopefully will have a completion date soon.
Hmmmm that seems a little odd they ask for payment prior to completing the work. I'd be questioning that? All our post contract variations have been added to our final cost

Yeah.. that's what I was expecting... like pay a deposit, or just pay at the end. But I don't think my builder would be a problem.

And if it gets the build moving quicker.. might just pay it.. the invoice says its due by next Monday.

We just had our yearly bonuses at work.. YAY!! Will help pay for this variation.
The standard is , we pay the variation with Fixing stage not final/completion stage... I received my final stage invoice 4 days after fixing invoice so wouldn't had made a difference anyway...
Ohh, thanks Reg. Maybe because this is the last stage for my build, so only final payment to go..might be why they want it upfront.
Check what your contract says. Our variations come with the next or final stage claim, which ever is applicable. Although they can ask for 10% deposit and evidence of capacity to pay. We haven't been asked to pay a deposit for our garage step down, I doubt they ever ask, that would be more work for them. They can't even seem to get their act together to invoice us for the balance of the 5% deposit
Love your house Dawn!

I would check your contracts like Bank said
Ours said we had to pay a deposit up front as well.

Hope your bunny is feeling better too!
Haha! I can't believe they haven't invoiced you yet Bank. I will have to dig up my contract and have a look, this is my first variation throughout the whole build (pretty proud of myself for not making a million changes!)
wickie
Love your house Dawn!

I would check your contracts like Bank said
Ours said we had to pay a deposit up front as well.

Hope your bunny is feeling better too!

Thanks Wickie

I love love my house design.. its not my dream house, but for the size of my land and the price, I'm very pleased by the floorplan. The good design and the price are the only reasons I'm glad I went with my builder.

My bunny is looking okay, just hoping he stay that way. Its so hard to tell in the early stages of myxo.. and he's always been a bit snuffly.
Thought I should move the laundry cupboard discussion here rather than flooding Kat's board XD

I cannot find a single photo of how I expected my laundry cupboard to be..but basically I was expecting a built in cupboard, that was fully plastered, with a single door (like a normal room door).. and then from that the other cabinetry would be built..

But actually looking at the plans.. maybe I was wrong about the PB above.. its a bit confusing.. but yeah, still expected single door.

Instead this is what my laundry looks like.

I don't really mind except for the gap above the linen closet.. XD DUST CITY!!! But I guess it is extra storage.. Ooh, just realised the ceiling height measurement is wrong.. its actually 2.7m..

I should have checked the plans more.. but I'm not one to argue. I also didn't ask what colour the cabinetry would be, or the benchtop.. or the tiles.. was expecting white cabinetry same as kitchen but they went with the bathroom vanity colour. Not really a big deal. I do intend to one day put overheads in there..
Oops I didn't even realise it was Kats post. Sorry Kat!!
Never knock back extra storage, at least there is a silver lining.

I like the timber laminate, it looks good. It's going to be interesting to see what tiles and benchtops you end up with. It's a kinder surprise laundry!

Hahah, yeah Kat and I were discussing laundries.

Oh, you made me laugh! It is so a kinder surprise laundry. I believe if I went and checked my contract/quote that there was something in there somewhere about stone in the laundry (and if so I didn't pay for it XD)..

So my best guess is, white shimmer stone for the laundry bench same as the kitchen and bathrooms, and white splashback tiles, but not sure if they will go with the bathroom white tiles or the kitchens, only difference is size.. ooh, wonder what grout they will go with, kitchen is having dark grey subway tiles, and the bathroom is having white grout laid brick bond style.. I wonder if I should tell them what I'd prefer XD
Found it!!

STONE BENCHTOPS 20mm to Kitchen, laundry, bathroom and ensuite Included

Your plans are inconsistent to say the least. Elevation 11 looks like it goes to the ceiling and is plaster board, but the plan doesn't show a stud wall for plaster board to be fixed to and elevation 10 shows it not going to the ceiling. Nowhere do they show a double door like you have

Anyway what you have looks great! I love the wood grain.

The white shimmer will look great with the timber, will the tiles be the same as the bathroom? I wish I had upgraded the benches too but I had to stop somewhere. A couple of nice looking storage containers/baskets would look great on top of the linen. It is huge you will need a step ladder to reach the top shelf.

Haha no worries about my thread. I don't mind

Looks the same as one of the displays near me so definitely not odd. I love that laminate colour more and more too! Will be fantastic.

Have you heard anymore from your builder this week??

bank
Your plans are inconsistent to say the least. Elevation 11 looks like it goes to the ceiling and is plaster board, but the plan doesn't show a stud wall for plaster board to be fixed to and elevation 10 shows it not going to the ceiling. Nowhere do they show a double door like you have

Anyway what you have looks great! I love the wood grain.

They are a little, but it took so long to get the plans I just couldn't be bothered holding off signing them for the few inconsistencies.. its only the laundry anyways XD

I finally got to sign my contract on 15th of March 2016... after more than 12 months of working through them.. and my land settled February 2016, so I was in a bit of a rush by the end.

It's all good, I'm a little flexible, my build is a little flexible so it sort of works out.

Hehe, thanks
Yeah I like the wood grain, it should look good with my floor tiles.
Related
20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

25/12/2023
Foil wrap not done before brickwork

General Discussion

I am in the same situation, would you be able to give some insights in to this? I am in SA

1/09/2023
Things can be done after construction.

Building A New House

Depends what you're current inclusions are, but we're not including wardrobes and will just use second hand ones until we can save later on to get them built. Also have a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum