Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

{Dawn} SE Melb Build - Done and dusted!

Page 24 of 147
They look great. I've been tossing up the 2 + 3 or the chaise for a while and think I've decided ok 2 + 3, it's just a bit more flexible for the space I think.

I think I've decided on this couch
in light grey.
I like all of the couches

I think the round table is nice but I think knocking knees on the legs of the table would not be so nice
my parents have a round table and 4 people fit comfortably, but if extra chairs are added the people sitting in between the 4 'normal' spots have to deal with the legs of the table bumping their knees (which can hurt!) just thought I'd mention that! I think the rectangle one is better!

That's a nice couch!!

I'm now trying to decide on the rough shapes of couch I like, then will look for price/colour. I feel like I need to buy now, a. because all the sales are on, and b. so the couch is ready in time for when I move in

It's like... do I like the scandi type legs or something flat on the ground? Something low to ground, or high up, metal legs? XD Then what sort of arm shape do I like... and then colour, and how much am I willing to pay.

So hard to decide.
Oh gosh Dawn lol good luck with that haha

GJ Gardner Modified Coolum 277
viewtopic.php?t=83643
Just to add to the 3+2 bandwagon - we have a big modular ATM and everyone gets super weird when they come over to visit and have to pick where to sit. There is no social etiquette on how close is too close lol! We are going with a 3+2 in our new place. Also the chaise section of the couch has lost all its cushioning but we can't swap it with any other cushion to "even out" the wear and tear.

Our couch has about 3-4inch stumpy legs and it's a nightmare for catching dust and cat hair and just high enough to be gross and visible. If you are going with something with legs make sure they're high enough to get a broom or vacuum under! We will either opt for something scandi style that is higher or a flush to the floor couch this time round.

Furniture is a pain in the butt with animals!!! We are pretty sure we will opt for the cheapest option that we like and is comfy because one of our cats sees every piece of furniture as a scratching post no matter how much we have tried to deter him. Only place he doesn't scratch is his actual post. That way I won't feel so bad if it's ruined in a few years and needs replacing.

aloenyx
3&2 Seater options I don't mind:

(maybe not the colour) XD

Why do I have such expensive tastes
I'm really like these low arms.. they look comfy. XD

All 3 choices here are nice, but of the three, my preferred is the 3rd option. And of the table choices i'd prefer the rectangular dining table.

View thread:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=83776&start=80
aloenyx
That's a nice couch!!

I'm now trying to decide on the rough shapes of couch I like, then will look for price/colour. I feel like I need to buy now, a. because all the sales are on, and b. so the couch is ready in time for when I move in

It's like... do I like the scandi type legs or something flat on the ground? Something low to ground, or high up, metal legs? XD Then what sort of arm shape do I like... and then colour, and how much am I willing to pay.

So hard to decide.

Had to read a few times to grasp all the criteria
Thanks for all your input everyone, definitely keeping it in mind.

I'm leaning towards a 2 + 3 seater combo, or my original plan of a 3 seater + 2 chairs (still not sure I can fit a second couch). I'm going to go to the homemaker center tomorrow and check out options.. but I've started to narrow it down.

Leaning towards something with either scandi legs (as I call them) or high metal legs, so I can sweep under it easily.. this was my mum's suggestion too..

Colourwise.. still leaning towards light to mid grey..

Also want comfy arms.. so something a bit wider... and something cheap so when my animals destroy it I can replace it
P

Hehe, yeah analysis paralysis... I'm a business analyst in my day job, so I like lots of lists, charts and so on before making any decisions. You should of seen me trying to purchase a car
Some more options to confuse me..

Found this set for $799 for the pair... seems like a pretty good deal!

And according to the description it has all the right parts, hardwood frames, high density foam cushions, linen fabric covering. Very tempting.

D Are you all sick of me yet? My family is... they won't let me talk furniture anymore.
Ha I'm a business analyst too. The comparisons and spreadsheets over here are out of control!!! But so far my budgeting and timings has been spot on for everything in our tender.

Those couches do seem cheap. I reckon go and check them out in store and sit on them to see if they're comfy and seem ok. I was doing a recce today to check out sale prices (we won't be in until 2018 so won't be buying until next year's sales). I sat on some really rubbish couches!

I know what you mean about out of control spreadsheets. I'm finding building very stressful, and I've had to just take my hands off the wheel which is not my usual style.. but otherwise Id go bonkers

I'm always suspicious of things that seem to good to be true, and these couches seem that way to me XD Its silly but I hesitate to buy things when the price seems to good. I will definitely go check them out in store, and who knows they may be as good as they look
Hahahaha that's why you're on here Dawn, we are here to listen and support! My family walk away when I try to talk furniture or colours with them

Go check out those chairs, they might have all the right parts and they might be perfect but on the off chance the fabric could be not all that great and feel scratchy or itchy lol.

Sorry to be a downer, that's just the types of things I look for, if it seems to good to be true

GJ Gardner Modified Coolum 277
viewtopic.php?t=83643
Thanks
Hehe.. yeah everyone is a little over it. I thought this was suppose to be the fun time!! But no one wants to go look at furniture anymore

Today I'm going to check out the homemaker center.. and maybe those couches above, otherwise they will be tomorrow. The sad thing is I go back to work on Monday, so no more randomly going off to look at things during the week ;;
aloenyx
Thanks
Hehe.. yeah everyone is a little over it. I thought this was suppose to be the fun time!! But no one wants to go look at furniture anymore

Today I'm going to check out the homemaker center.. and maybe those couches above, otherwise they will be tomorrow. The sad thing is I go back to work on Monday, so no more randomly going off to look at things during the week ;;

I'm sure I sat in those couches yesterday. I liked them, but they didn't come in the colour I need. I thought they were really good value.

Where are those lounges from? Pretty good price.
I try not to buy expensive furniture as my 5 kids a guaranteed to destroy it eventually.

They're from Fair Price Furniture, they have a store in Dandy Frankston Road (where I have done most of my furniture shopping). I was wondering if there are any interesting furniture stores in Pakky.

Still haven't made it to the homemaker center... the joys of dragging dad with me, he takes forever to be ready to go!! Then he will rush me about without giving me time to really look.

Not a bad idea Craig!! 5 kids!! Wow. No kids for me yet, but hopefully one day... I just have two bunnies (though unlikely I will be letting them on the couches) and one cat... soon to be two, they probably will nap on the couches.. and one day probably a dog.
Furbabies!!
Check to see if cushions are removable for washing if needed. Ours arent removable but you wouldnt know to look at them, you actually need to try and lift them. But we did only pay around $1k for our modular, so you get what you pay for i think. Dog is not impressed as she's not allowed on the couch now lol

So happy to see everything streaming ahead and all on track for you now Dawn, exciting times ahead now!

Totally agree with getting what you paid for. Everything I even remotely like is way outside of budget (I might as well have gone with the first couch I put on order), and everything in budget is.. cheap! I checked out the couch at Fair Price Furniture as well... its fine, but that's about it. I spend most of my time in bed, and the rest on the couch.. so I want a NICE couch. Happy to go cheap on dining table and stools, since I will barely use them, but I need a nice couch.

Found nothing I enjoyed today. Only place with any options I would consider was FoF, but the ones I really like are their pricey Australian made range or modulars.

*sad face* I've decided to go in a different direction, I'm thinking bean bags, blow up furniture.. or maybe we'll just sit on the floor.. I could get a really nice rug.
After a lot of searching, haven't had my heart stolen by any lounges ;-;

So I went back to the drawing board and looked at styles I like on PD. Here are some pictures of the style I am going for...

Common themes I notice, lots of light woods and white.. light blue, aqua and greens in accessories.

I thought I would want hints of black, but actually realising I don't need it and in fact the last two pictures are perfect and everything is white white white.

So thinking.. I need to look for:

Stools - white metal with wood top OR all wood
Couch - light wood coloured legs - mid to light coloured fabrics (off white, taupe or grey)
Coffee table - round glass table with light wood legs, or light wood, or light wood with white legs
Dining table - White U legs with light wood top or light wood, chairs in a light fabric or white/wood

Kind of helps my couch search..
Although all the couches I see in these design pictures are not really the ones I tend to like XD
Related
20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

25/12/2023
Foil wrap not done before brickwork

General Discussion

I am in the same situation, would you be able to give some insights in to this? I am in SA

1/09/2023
Things can be done after construction.

Building A New House

Depends what you're current inclusions are, but we're not including wardrobes and will just use second hand ones until we can save later on to get them built. Also have a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum