Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

{Dawn} SE Melb Build - Done and dusted!

Page 84 of 147
I think I'm happy with the carpet colour.

Out of all the choices I had.. its not an orange brown, YAY, its warm but also kind of cool..?? So I think I like it
D Also think its breaks up all the white quite well, now just need furniture in there
It's looking great! You're on the home stretch now!

Eeek not long to go!
So in love
Wondering if I will do PCI since they already dotted the place.
Some more photos.
Sorry for oversharing, but you never know what picture someone else is looking for.

Front of the house. Can't wait to finish landscaping.

Boral Mocha Bricks with natural mortar.
Downpipe is basalt

Rendered front fence is Grey Pebble.
Mailbox isn't too bad, its lockable which is good.

Render on front pillars is Drive Time.

My front yard.
Still debating on whether I will do all plants, or turf and garden beds in this space.

Short side of house
Really happy with all the concreting...

Backyard.
This will mostly be turf, with some plants along the back fence. I didn't realise from the plans that the neighbor's alfresco would be so close. I think they were expected to build a double... hopefully that double storey won't see too much in my backyard.

Back of house. They need to finish off the gap over the top of the door. Can't wait till all the black tape is off the windows, so can see the house properly. Solar panels for the HWS have been put up on the roof too.

Long side of the house.
D Happy the concreting is finished, never know how much longer we will have sunny weather for. Actually thought we would have had more rain this winter, but not complaining
D

Roof access.
Can see the sarking. Need to get up there and check out the insulation.

Air con unit. It's a Daikin, wonder if that's a good brand?

Hallway looking towards front door.
Blue dots galore, they might as well just do one more coat of paint throughout.

Living/dining/kitchen.. My favorite part of the house
Spent like 5 minutes playing with the light switches in here. No neighbor directly behind yet, kind of wish they were done building... not looking forward to them building after I move in.

My enormous bench top. I love this bench.. I can't wait to bake something on here.
D Powerpoint at the end of the bench, so glad I put that in there.. very useful!

My carpet.
It's a chocolate colour, looks more grey/purple now its laid, so very happy with that. It adds warmth too which is good. TV and power point in the master bedroom
D Just need my shutters to be installed on these two windows now, hopefully will happen next week.

WIR (with the light on), carpet looks more brown with the lights.

Main bathroom shower.

Carpet vs the tiles. I think they work well together. The tiles are darker in this picture compared to the other pic I put up.

Bedroom
I think the carpets work well with the blinds. I was worried about that..

Other bedroom

Thinking this is the heater return??

Door handle. They seem nice enough

Looks great so pleased for you, it's been a long road but you're so nearly there!!

Our Acacia build - http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=86619
So been looking through my contract, quote and plans to make sure everything I have paid for has been delivered.

Overall I think everything has been done correctly except a few minor things:

No heating vent in kitchen - will let this one go, they might have a reason and need to check if the heating vent went into the bathroom, didn't see it.
Powerpoint in WIR is in the wrong spot - probably just live with this, it was meant to be on the ground, but its above the shelf.
Powerpoint in en suite is on the wrong side - again, will live with it, but its a bit annoying
Kitchen window is 1200mm instead of 1500mm - will also live with it
Tiles in bathroom should have gone up to window - will live with it, because it would look weird, but do wish I had the bathroom window extend down to meet the tiles, the window was also obscured by mistake, but going to keep it that way
Taps - There is one to the front and one on side, but there should be a recycled water tap to the back, have to ask about this
TV antenna - have to make sure this is put in before handover
Rangehood ducted outside - have to check this at handover too
Privacy locks to bathroom and toilet - need to check if this was done or not, if not I will let it go
Wardrobe doors - My quote says MDF Painted Finish Sliding Doors with handle in lieu of Vinyl Doors, but I think they went with the wrong ones
not sure if I should argue this out...I hate the finger lip ones, I wanted ones like this

This is what I seem to be getting.. do I bring it up?? Maybe I could get them to do mirrors.. not sure why they hung these doors before painting them??

Telephone point/data point - should have been one in bedroom 3, though its actually not made it into the electrical plan
bummer

Overall nothing major, all the powerpoints and lights seem to be right.. and most of the mistakes I've already decided to accept, like the laundry linen closet not being quite right.
The carpet, tiles and blinds look perfect together. The kitchen/living area is so nice and bright and airy.
The grey pebble render on the fence looks awesome, I have chosen it for my pillars so it's good to see on a big scale. Is the front of the house going to be rendered in grey pebble as well?

It's good to see the builder has already identified most of the issues and I'm sure they will fix the cabinetry around the dishwasher before handover.

Looking forward to seeing an update this week with your PCI date.

Everything looks amazing!! I'm jealous! Carpet and tiles look perfect together!

Not sure what they were thinking with the black letter box?? It's not like you have any black anywhere else. You should be able to paint it.

As for things missing you should raise as many as possible, you should get what you paid for. If they put up a fight and you're not fussed then let it go, but you never know they might just fix it.

WIR power point is interesting, we added one and she put a note on it saying standard height, I couldn't understand why when she refused to put other height notes on
. Ours is not on a wall without shelves so I was really confused.

If the data point in bed 3 is in the contract it should be included. Contract spec trumps drawings (typically). We have 3 dimmer switches in the contract that didn't make the drawings, I will be making sure they get done!

As for the letterbox if you really dislike the black I'm pretty sure you can get spray cans with silver, gold or chrome look finish. Just make sure you tape and cover all the render, really easy to do by yourself. Speak to the paint people at Bunnings and they will help you out.

Yep, the master bedroom render will be Grey Pebble to match the front fence
excited to see it completed.

The letterbox is weird. I can live with the black, but it just doesn't match anything else on the house. I wonder if it was the cheapest option.. will teach me not to specify what I want. I'm thinking it might be okay, as I might have black trim installed on the fencing.. see if I can find a pic to show you. This is the side gate I'm planning on, and I could get the black trim...

I will try to bring up most things, and see what they say at least. I think with the wardrobes, I might just accept them, but tell them to credit me the $460 I paid to upgrade them, .. and I will use that credit towards the alarm system

Glad everyone likes the colours. I'm much happier with the carpet colour then I was expecting, given these were my options and I wasn't fond of ANY of them.

The WIR powerpoint is weird. Was expecting it to be at ground level on the wall without shelves... and this is where they put it...so this is the WIR its on the right hand side above that shelf..

I'm thinking the data point was a 'discussed' thing that didn't get written down.

Its funny when I see things and think 'should have upgraded that', have to remind myself that when I was doing the plans for this house I was on an extremely tight budget (actually had already blown the budget)... XD just because the situation has eased now... too late to change it. The first time I reno this place I will be changing heaps.
Your home is nearly done I am so happy for you but don't settle if you aren't happy and they have done wrong make a note at handover so it doesn't hold up moving in and get it fixed at maintainable stage

Thanks MS. Can't tell you all how happy I am today. Finally feeling excited about my house again after a very long dark journey. Hopefully I can get dates on Monday.. and hopefully its VERY soon.
D Should only take a week for them to finish everything off, but they might want two or three. We shall soon find out. Need to get my back fence sorted now.
So so exciting, everything looks great

Thanks BB7.

I feel like I should be doing something... packing or.. I don't know. XD I actually have very little to pack though. Any suggestions on things I should be doing to have a smooth transition into the new house?
It's been a long time coming but finally...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Well done on such an emotional journey.
Looking great Dawn!

Wow it all looks so good! My permit just got approved so hopefully start Building soon. I chose very similar colours top yours. All white kitchen, grey tiles and carpet. How many squares is your house dawn? I think I have a similar size if not a bit smaller

My house is 16 squares. It's not very big, but its perfect for just me. Only thing I would have liked is just a little more yard space, or... more distance from neighbors. But at least maintaining it will be easy

Thanks all! Trying to figure out what I need to do before I move now. Can't wait for dates tomorrow
DD

I need to find a rug, but no idea where to look, it needs to be super cheap, and low pile but still look nice (its going under my rabbit enclosure XD).

I have a feeling my next few weekends will be all IKEA, Bunnings, etc.
Try kmart for super cheap rugs. No idea what they have at the moment but they usually have some.
Related
20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

25/12/2023
Foil wrap not done before brickwork

General Discussion

I am in the same situation, would you be able to give some insights in to this? I am in SA

1/09/2023
Things can be done after construction.

Building A New House

Depends what you're current inclusions are, but we're not including wardrobes and will just use second hand ones until we can save later on to get them built. Also have a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum