Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Builder or Owner - Things to do yourself

Page 1 of 1
Hello,

We are building a house with Braewood Homes and i am looking at things we can do ourselves and not include in the contract?

Does anyone have any advice on what they would do themselves , as it would be cheaper for us than the builder including this in the contract?

Like the Alarm system , flooring ect

Thank you
Pulled tiling, solar and blinds from contract also getting a shed.
I found the bank didn't like seperate items not in the contract as then we are liable to full fil the extras.
I just asked the builder to pc a lot of items. That way I can pick them and there isn't a Builders margin on top, just an admin fee. Lol.

Craigasaurus
Pulled tiling, solar and blinds from contract also getting a shed.
I found the bank didn't like seperate items not in the contract as then we are liable to full fil the extras.
I just asked the builder to pc a lot of items. That way I can pick them and there isn't a Builders margin on top, just an admin fee. Lol.

What does PC mean?

Thanks.
Provisional cost. Where they set aside a limit for items and if it goes over that you pay the difference.

Eg. we pc'd $12000 for Ducted airconditioning.
$6200 for carpet.
That way we choose the supplier and tell the builder and they organise the rest.

Does that make sense?

We're in WA, we did quite a bit after handover ourselves:
Flooring, painting, air conditioning, driveway and all paving, window treatments, security doors and skirting boards. We got the quotes for each (excluding security doors/painting/skirting) included in the bank's valuation and they paid them as a progress payments to each supplier.

Craigasaurus
Does that make sense?

It does - thanks. Basically get a fixed amount included in the contract to get around the bank not financing extras. Yes?
Hi
It is a few years since this was posted but I would like to add some questions
1. If the builder has allowed X dollars to supply a PC or PS item and if it supplied by the owner can they still charge margin. example my builders PC amount for electrical was $15000 + 10 % margin. total $16500. This got added to the total contract price. My builder only wants to give me back $15000 and keep the margin.
2. Same deal for a product that was not installed at the end. $10K was allowed for some extra concreting but we didn't proceed. He only wants to rebate $9090.
3. and if the builder was having issues getting a certain product and I sourced it and paid and did all the legwork should I pay a margin on it.
Related
30/06/2023
The 'Do's' to Doing it Yourself

Renovation + Home Improvement

The DIY project can be broken into two major steps. Planning and Design and Construction. Both of these steps are as important as one another to ensure you give…

25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum