Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis Charlton 33

Page 1 of 2
Hi All - We are building the Charlton 33, and wondering if anyone else is? Would be good to share upgrades, costs, color selections and your experience so far with the build.

Charlton 33
13/8/2016 - Paid deposit
22-23/09/2016 - Colour selections at WOS
28/10/2016 - Contract Appointment
11/01/2017 - Developer approval of plans
10/02/2017 - Site Start
28/02/2017 - Scheduled slab pour

We have finally started!!!
Hey firsthomebuilder101, http://charlton33.blogspot.com.au/ is a great blog, hopefully it helps.
All the best with your build.
thank you Build2016.
I fell in love with the Charlton 33 at Riverwalk, Werribee and had my heart set on it.
Then last week I went to see the new Forsyth 38 at Habitat, Tarneit and fell in love with it too (not the styling but the facade and layout options).
Now I don't know which will be better (and which will be most cost effective).
For both plans we would add the Grand Alfresco option, and the Grand Family, Laundry, Galley and Soaker Tub option to the Charlton or the Extended Kitchen, Galley and Laundry plus Master Ensuite and WIR as displayed at Habitat (with bath).
Hi

I'm building the Charlton 33 it doesn't start til next April but have finished with World Of Styles and have contract signing coming up.
We are building the Charlton 33 as well, also beginning in April ! Did have our heart set on the Hoffman but found the Charlton with a few extras was better value. All these extras and upgrades are doing my head in though ...
We are also building the Charlton 33, we start next week if the weather stays nice!

All up our Charlton cost about $365k not including flooring, the floorboards we fell in love with at WOS were $30k and we are getting the same floorboards and carpet for $13k through Carpet Call. We found the contract and pricing stage to we horrible compared to our previous build with Carlisle, but it will all be worth it because we know PD buid a quality home and we are in love with the open floor plan.

Feel free to ask me any questions at all!

Good luck
Charlton 33
We are building the Charlton 33 as well, also beginning in April ! Did have our heart set on the Hoffman but found the Charlton with a few extras was better value. All these extras and upgrades are doing my head in though ...

Hi! Did they charge you for additional flooring due to structural variations (we did upgrade to the extended kitchen, grand family and galley and separate WC upstairs)?
Macfarlane_Manor
We are also building the Charlton 33, we start next week if the weather stays nice!

All up our Charlton cost about $365k not including flooring, the floorboards we fell in love with at WOS were $30k and we are getting the same floorboards and carpet for $13k through Carpet Call. We found the contract and pricing stage to we horrible compared to our previous build with Carlisle, but it will all be worth it because we know PD buid a quality home and we are in love with the open floor plan.

Feel free to ask me any questions at all!

Good luck

Hi! Did they charge you for additional flooring due to structural variations (we did upgrade to the extended kitchen, grand family and galley and separate WC upstairs)?
Thanks Macfarlane_manor. Good luck with you build - are you going to blog ??

Our quote is sitting around the $380K mark at the moment - unfortunately we have quite high site costs. When you say you're getting your flooring done with Carpet Call, does that mean you get a credit back from PD ?? We've got some special 'all flooring (std)' for $2k so am wondering if its worth outsourcing or not.
Sorry for late reply

Hi firsthomebuilder101,
No we didn't get charged any extra for the flooring because we are not doing them through PD, but no even when we had it in our quote it didn't appear to be more than than the $9990 flooring pack we selected - and we did the same structural upgrades as you.

Hi Charlton33,
Yes I just realised the price for outs was $365k, after we paid the $20k deposit, so we were up around the $385 mark as well.
No we tried to get credit back from PD but they wouldn't do it so we just got a quote from carpet call and submitted it to the bank with our build contract so its included in our home loan. Completely up to you if you want to go, we just found the quality of the laminate floorboard was low compared to the high price they were asking.

Here is a pic of the flooring we decided on, the top pic is a little more orange because of the light in the shop.

Hi Macfarlane_Manor

We're just at Tender for the Charlton, and also have the $9990 promo for flooring throughout. We left the laminate but upgraded the carpet as CAT1 is awful.
We were stunned that a basic carpet upgrade from CAT1 to CAT2 would cost ~$4K after ~$2K rebate from CAT1 plus another ~$800 for the CAT 3 underlay. That takes us to ~$15k for flooring, plus a few more with National Tiles for the bathrooms.

Thinking we should also look elsewhere.!?

You mentioned your quote with Carpet Call.
Was it an issue adding the quote onto the mortgage, as this was our concern doing it outside of the builder inclusion.!?
Also without the flooring promo, did this affect the wet rooms tiles by National Tiles, or was this untouched?

Thanks
Hi Orchis,

Congrats on building the Charlton, it is such a beautiful home!

For us it wasn't as issue with including it the home loan, we just forward the Carpet Call quotes together with the PD contract to the bank and they approved us based on us spending the combined amounts, it was actually pretty easy! The only difficulty we has was actually with PD - as we opted for floor boards and PD refused to install the skirting and so did carpet call so we were looking at having a builder come in between PD and CC to paint and install the skirting. We fought and fought with PD and they have agreed to do and we will just get a quad join from CC. It was one of the many things we argued about with them which contributed to a 3 month delay but I am so happy we did, I love our floorboards and I really disliked all the PD options.

It did not affect National tiles at all, for us we were only left with tiles in the wet areas. Tiles will be installed before we take take the keys but floorboards and carpet will be after handover.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions - I feel like I could work for PD now haha

Good luck!!
Macfarlane_Manor
Here is a pic of the flooring we decided on, the top pic is a little more orange because of the light in the shop.
Hi Macfarlane_Manor,

I was just wondering whether you could let me know what the floorboards are that you ended up choosing from Carpet Call? We're looking to build the Charlton 33 as well and are currently going back and forth with what floors to pick. I like the look of the ones that you chose (from what I can tell from the pictures
) so we might have a look at what options there are outside of PD.

Thanks!
Hi there, congrats on deciding on the amazing Charlton

These floors are called Paradoor Trendtime 1 in OAK colour. It is costing us about $13k for these floorboards + category 3 carpet and category 5 underlay (which is the highest cat and it moisture proof, as close to waterproof as underlay can be).. we are only saving about $1000 going through Carpet Call if you pick from their standard range. The floors we liked from PD are displayed the Madison in Sunbury were an extra $25k on top of the $10k flooring promotion

This is our colour inspo pic from the Madison, same floor colour, stair colour, wall colour and skirtings.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
x
Just checked out the floorplan! It looks great!

We arent building with Porter Davis, but with Henley the final price just seems to keep rising!
Just checked out the floorplan! It looks great!

We arent building with Porter Davis, but with Henley the final price just seems to keep rising!
Funny you say that, we originally signed up with Henley single story and the price kept rising, when it hit about $330k we realised we could build a double with Porter Davis for only $30k more.. We are beyond happy we found the Charlton.

Good luck with your build
Just wondering how everyone's Charlton 33 build is going? We are finally going to start! Temp fence is up. Would be good to share pictures on how to build is progressing.
Hi everyone!

After much deliberation we decided to build the Charlton 33 - and we are SUPER exited!

One of the main reasons we decided on the Charlton (apart from the amazing living area/kitchen) is the flexibility that comes with building an Advantage home (being able to out-source flooring etc.). This will really give us a chance to put our own stamp on it - and get what you really want.

We are looking at the Sinclair Facade - as we are going for a very classic feel. The only thing that bugs me is the TINY balcony that you will have off the main bedroom - I doubt that you will ever really use it - it is very small, and as it is covered I am scared that it might block the sunlight from the room.

Just wondering - does anyone know what the landscaping (from the landscaping package) looks like (I would just like to have an idea of what it includes and if we would have to go back and get additional landscaping done afterwards)?

Thank you!

Loving all the tips and comments on your experiences so far!
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum