Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Redoing the mcdonald jones kitchen after handover

Page 1 of 1
Just wondering if anyone has opted for only the stock standard kitchen and then re-done it after handover? We cannot bring ourselves to fork out nearly $5k for the 'gourmet' kitchen (on top of the Celebrations package) and still receive a very ordinary run-of-the-mill product.

We want to have a more creative island built to contain more drawers. Rip out the standard island & sell on Gumtree! Have done that before...lol. With the wall side we will replace all the doors to have a 'Hamptons Look' profile. Maybe get more pot drawers in. I'm currently thinking vinyl wrapped. Soft closers everywhere.

Looking for a good, reliable and reasonable kitchen company in the Hunter Valley.

Appreciate any suggestions and feedback. TIA.
That sounds like a very costly project to do after handover. Could you not either
A) get them to not do the kitchen and you contract your own kitchen people to do it or
B) get the basics done as in bigger island and pot draws - general co figuration and get then change the doors/benches handles etc?

We are building with gjs and they have soft close cabinetry as standard. No knowing what is in the celebrations ackage it's hard to compare.

The other thing is our local kitchen fabricators are used by all the project home builders as well as those wanting a 'premium' kitchen...

[quote="needsausername"]That sounds like a very costly project to do after handover. Could you not either
A) get them to not do the kitchen and you contract your own kitchen people to do it or

LYNDHURST106 ANSWER: I very much doubt this would be allowed. My suspicions are also if they did allow, then there would be NO refund. This is based on our previous discussions about other issues with our sales consultant.

B) get the basics done as in bigger island and pot draws - general co figuration and get then change the doors/benches handles etc?

LYNDHURST106 ANSWER: This is the general idea. Except we will sell off the island and have a custom made with drawers. Since posting yesterday, we drew up a new design for this and have decided we can live with the rest of the units - with careful selections from the standard options. As a designer, although now retired, I know I can spend virtually the same amount of money as they charge for the 'gourmet' kitchen, by having my own custom island design built.

We are building with gjs and they have soft close cabinetry as standard. No knowing what is in the celebrations ackage it's hard to compare.

LYNDHURST106 ANSWER: 20mm stone benchtops. Laminate flat faced doors. No soft closers. One set of narrow cutlery drawers. Woop-t-do!

The other thing is our local kitchen fabricators are used by all the project home builders as well as those wanting a 'premium' kitchen...

LYNDHURST106 ANSWER: Relocating from QLD to the Hunter Valley - hence do not know any good suppliers in this region. The imperative thing for us is being able to design our own. And that is a lot of pot drawers. MDJ homes do not have this flexibility. This is why it makes more sense for us to spend virtually the same amount of money - after handover - and get exactly what we want.

Thanks for your imput. Really appreciated.

[/quote]
I saw your comments in relation to being a designer etc and having a bit of extra knowledge on the subject, but to me I would have thought you'd be paying a hell of a lot more than $5k to DIY later.

Wellard2ndTimers
I saw your comments in relation to being a designer etc and having a bit of extra knowledge on the subject, but to me I would have thought you'd be paying a hell of a lot more than $5k to DIY later.

Not doing the entire kitchen...only the island. Makeover would be all drawers in the carcass. Having now spoken with a company, what we want is doable for the budget.

Cheers
Local kitchen company's in Newcastle and the hunter valley I would recommend both Hunter Kitchen King and Valley Kitchens. I have used both and have both produced an exceptional product whilst being reasonably priced. Hope this helps.
Related
26/10/2023
Building with Mcdonalds jones home

Building A New House

Hi AKG, We had a base tender of $592 for 31 squares from MC Donald Jones. It looks relatively cheaper than other builders. But I assume there are many hidden things that…

12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

13/11/2023
Key Handover

General Discussion

Your house should come in "as new" condition. It should be clean, and without stains

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum